$99 Festool Sander

AstroDave

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

I feel pretty confident that this is FT getting people to drink the Kool-aid.  It's pretty common in the sales world to get people into the store.

I feel pretty sure that Shane is at the root of this conspiracy! More Kool-Aid drinkers the merrier!

• Like 2

Oh yea, its totally to get people suckered in. I jumped and this was my first Festool product purchased and I ordered a CT36 to go with it at 10% off. Im sure many other did the same.

And there is soo much mark up in their products they have the profit margin to afford to run a product like this. It'll only make them more money elsewhere.

I have a 3 year old ETS 125. First Festool I owned on the recommendation of my brother. Hooked me. Reeled me in. Maybe (probably) their larger sanders would save me some time, but at 1/4 the price, this is a no brainer. It's WAY better than anything else I've seen for $100.

5 minutes ago, davestanton said:

Maybe they have a glut of these sanders because people like Eric will not buy the 5 inch paper as well as the 6 inch. Maybe there is a brushless version about to be released like the 6 inch brushless which is a delight to use? They may need to clear a heap of stock?

That would be valid if this wasn't a pre-order to be released November 1st. I'm pretty sure this is a loss leader if msrp is to be double what they are selling it for now.

3 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Does anyone know if mirka paper holes line up on this? 

They do not.

At best the 50$ coupon is 25% off at worst it's barley a drop in the bucket. I can't find any other festool power tool that retails for less then $200, accessories yes.

I think if you compare this upgrade to the brush less upgrade for the 150 line, they might have seen an opportunity to sweeten the pot to get it and more 5" paper out the door. I remember the reviews on the previous version, while not horrible by any means, weren't as good as the 150s. You'd ask anyone on FOG or otherwise, the advice was almost always to skip the 125 and get one of the 150 sanders. Which is what I did and I'd have to assume a lot of others did as well.

I would have been really enthusiastic if the RTS was this price, but I understand the marketing. 

53 minutes ago, Eric. said:

And just for the record, if this was a 6" sander, I would have been on it like stink on a monkey.  And if I had a bunch of 5" discs, likewise I would have bought one.  It's a great deal on what I'm sure is a great sander.  But if you only have 6" discs like I do, it makes basically no sense to buy a 5" sander.  That was my only point the whole time, and I don't know why it's so...controversial?.  Seems perfectly logical to me.

This is my thinking as well, I have invested to heavily in the 6" to consider so I agree, perfectly logical. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

A lot of after market paper have universal hole patterns. The holes look to be in the right location. 

I think the diameter of the circle they sit on is larger the mirka paper is 2.5" i don't know what the festool is. If some one knows it'd be cool to have the information.

59 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Interesting theory, possible.  Or it's possible they're throwing out the rare great deal and breaking even just to get people sucked into their universe.  I have the sander...now what?  I need the CT, obviously.  Now I have the CT, might as well get that track saw.  And on and on and on.  A catalyst.  Much the same way Amazon will offer deals on Prime.  Once they get their hooks into you, it's over.

And just for the record, if this was a 6" sander, I would have been on it like stink on a monkey.  And if I had a bunch of 5" discs, likewise I would have bought one.  It's a great deal on what I'm sure is a great sander.  But if you only have 6" discs like I do, it makes basically no sense to buy a 5" sander.  That was my only point the whole time, and I don't know why it's so...controversial?.  Seems perfectly logical to me.

I hope you are right. 

I don't find your opinion controversial. I disagree with you, and not for the first time. Though I've learned to not completely disregard your opinion because you've turned out more right than wrong. Time will tell. I do figure I can sell this thing for close to my investment if I don't find a need for it.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Interesting theory, possible.  Or it's possible they're throwing out the rare great deal and breaking even just to get people sucked into their universe.  I have the sander...now what?  I need the CT, obviously.  Now I have the CT, might as well get that track saw.  And on and on and on.  A catalyst.  Much the same way Amazon will offer deals on Prime.  Once they get their hooks into you, it's over.

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

So I bought this, so don't anyone yell at me for my theory..

We have a sander that used to cost $195 - now $99 and there is a $50 freebee. 

What does the rules of business teach us? That this is unlikely to be the same sander that sells for $195. 

Reminds me of ESP guitars. They sell an LTD Explorer. It's a great guitar, but it's NOT their ESP Explorer. Price difference? $2500 vs $600. Did they take a loss to sell you a great guitar? I doubt it. Quality and materials were compromised. 

Blue systainer? Maybe it's cheaper, flimsy plastic kind of like the Makita track saw systainer. That's an easy place to save a few bucks. And making it blue is an even easier way for people to identify the LTD model. I foresee an entire line of Festool LTD products that are basically meant to compete with the Dewalt level of tools. 

I just do not believe Festool is taking less of a profit. We're getting a lesser sander/systainer. Hopefully it's still good enough though. Just a theory, I genuinely want the top notch Festool quality at a lesser price. 

As for @Eric being mean to everyone - my understanding is that the 125 is a finish sander and has an entirely different purpose than the other sanders. At least that is what I was told on this very site when I asked what I should get between the 125 and the 150/3. So if you don't have a finish sander, seems a good deal. Not only that.. but if you (like me) have recently sanded all your kitchen walls, you'll welcome the reduced weight. And if you happen to need two sanders.. like someone is joining you in the shop - yet another reason to keep this on hand. Bottom line for me: I'll take a shot on it to get $50 off the domino later. :) 

No it will be the exact same quality systainer. In Europe, theyve been able to get different colour systainers forever. Mirka has yellow ones, Fein has orange ones, Senco has a red one, etc. You can also order custom ones with different colours for the handle, the t-loc and the body. 

As for the sander, it is exactly as Eric said. This is their attempt to get peoples feet wet with Festool. What is the most common complaint? Its too expensive. So this gives people the opportunity to try an awesome sander AND have a voucher to buy the CT vac they will need. I was told today by Festool head office peeps that they are losing money on this sander deal. The sander is the same quality (actually an upgrade from the old model) made in Germany and will go back to regular price after this sale. 

36 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

That makes my decision.  I was about to buy it but no go if it is a proprietary hole set

You should be buying granat paper anyways, so non issue !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

You should be buying granat paper anyways, so non issue !

That's my point broseph. I have about 150 mirka sheets in 220, about 20 in 340 or something dumb like that.  I'm not going to buy a 5" sander that won't use the paper I have.   If I have to buy 220 in granat, it's going to be for the 6" ec

Just now, Brendon_t said:

That's my point broseph. I have about 150 mirka sheets in 220, about 20 in 340 or something dumb like that.  I'm not going to buy a 5" sander that won't use the paper I have.   If I have to buy 220 in granat, it's going to be for the 6" ec

Ahhh, makes sense. I didnt realize you already had the Mirka paper. Please disregard my nonsense. 

From the Festool FB page:

"Great question. Over the years, we've been listening to craftsmen who have told us that they want to try Festool but the price is an obstacle. We believe in the quality and performance of our tools, so we decided to do something unusual. By putting the PRO 5 LTD at a lower price point, we hope that it will be the first Festool purchase for many people ... and we don't believe that it will be their last."

I just bought one.  For just making a couple hundred dollars, it probably wouldn't have been worth the hassle of selling four or five of them on Ebay, then dealing with non paying buyers and shipping.  I may keep the one I bought, it might be better than the Dewalt I suppose...at least it is variable speed and comes with a fancy pants case.

• Like 1