$99 Festool Sander

AstroDave

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That would be valid if this wasn't a pre-order to be released November 1st. I'm pretty sure this is a loss leader if msrp is to be double what they are selling it for now.

There you go, North America appears to get everything Festool about 2 years after Australia and we are usually a year or so behind the rest of the world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shaneymack said:

No it will be the exact same quality systainer. In Europe, theyve been able to get different colour systainers forever. Mirka has yellow ones, Fein has orange ones, Senco has a red one, etc. You can also order custom ones with different colours for the handle, the t-loc and the body. 

As for the sander, it is exactly as Eric said. This is their attempt to get peoples feet wet with Festool. What is the most common complaint? Its too expensive. So this gives people the opportunity to try an awesome sander AND have a voucher to buy the CT vac they will need. I was told today by Festool head office peeps that they are losing money on this sander deal. The sander is the same quality (actually an upgrade from the old model) made in Germany and will go back to regular price after this sal

Well I'm glad to hear it but wish they had chose something else!

• Like 1

I wish they'd chose a track saw, but they obviously chose their cheapest, most commonly used power tool they sold.  It's a perfect gateway tool, everyone needs it, it "requires" their abrasives, and it produces a lot of dust that needs to be extracted by one of their overpriced shop vacs.  It's quite brilliant really.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davestanton said:

There you go, North America appears to get everything Festool about 2 years after Australia and we are usually a year or so behind the rest of the world.

Something about the International Date Line........

Rumor has it that you Aussies have great respect for 'close of business' or 'quitting time', see ya at the pub, mate!

12 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I wish they'd chose a track saw, but they obviously chose their cheapest, most commonly used power tool they sold.  It's a perfect gateway tool, everyone needs it, it "requires" their abrasives, and it produces a lot of dust that needs to be extracted by one of their overpriced shop vacs.  It's quite brilliant really.

Yup, I'm close to convincing a guy on my car forum to pick it up.

I'm either a terrible or awesome person.

15 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I agree that the DC vacs are overpriced, but if you buy the best that the big box stores offer and compare the quality, there is no comparison. The thickness of the plastic and the variable speed, and the auto turn on are not offered anywhere else. Shane brainwashed me.....

^Lost cause. :P

I know they're supposed to be the bees knees, and are no doubt the best vacs on the market.  I might dip my toes in and get one eventually, but it's pretty far down my priority list.  For now my large Ridgid and the Rockler small/universal port kit thingy will just have to do.  Now if they were silent, that would be truly something!

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

the filtration is not fluff.   Most shop vacs, even with a filter bag, blow a lot of dust out of the exhaust.   But a vac with similar filtration to the CT will get you in the same $ zip code so the CT is a no brainer, for the reasons you mention.  

The filtration isn't fluff if you're sanding in a client's house.  In my filthy shop that has an inch of dust on every surface, HEPA means next to nothing.  You're only truly safe in a woodshop wearing a respirator 100% of the time.

Their vacs are also much quieter than the typical shop vac.  This is especially nice when sanding because that could take hours and I hate wearing hearing protection for that long.

That said all those features can be found in other brands.  But at that level they're similarly priced.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

. The thickness of the plastic and the variable speed, and the auto turn on are not offered anywhere else. Shane brainwashed me.....

Dewalt also has a hepa extractor with variable and auto on off.  It's about the size of the 36 and priced at about the midi point.

I'm on the fence on buying this since I have the ETS 150/5 and love the finish it leaves but wonder if the 125 with 2mm stroke would be nice for final grit? The $99 price is awesome but I don't have another Festool on my radar so the $50 voucher isn't appealing right now. The smaller footprint and lighter weight might be nice at times but I've never really found the 150 to be awkward. Plus like Eric said, a whole new collection of 5" sandpaper, although maybe just in higher grits.

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I'm on the fence on buying this since I have the ETS 150/5 and love the finish it leaves but wonder if the 125 with 2mm stroke would be nice for final grit? The $99 price is awesome but I don't have another Festool on my radar so the $50 voucher isn't appealing right now. The smaller footprint and lighter weight might be nice at times but I've never really found the 150 to be awkward. Plus like Eric said, a whole new collection of 5" sandpaper, although maybe just in higher grits.

Decisions, decisions...

I was on that fence too. I have 2 boxes of brand new Festool 5" paper I got in an auction with some other stuff. I've been using it to wrap around blocks of wood since I didn't have a 5" sander. I don't really have any other festool tools on my radar, but the voucher I believe is good until the end of 2017. 

The good news is, you can get paper pretty inexpensive for it. I picked it up, and if in 6 months or a year I decide I want my fesdong to be smaller I can sell it for what I paid for it. The price is going to go back up to roughly 200 bucks. This is a limited time special to entice more people to get into Festool stuff, and draw in people who complain Festool stuff is too expensive. I also like that this has a pad brake. Instant stop when you shut the machine.

7 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Everyone keeps talking about the 2 mm stroke, but I can't find any spec on my Dewalt for reference.  What's the standard stroke for a general purpose ROS?

I'd guess closer to 5mm but to be honest i have tried looking as well and i have no idea. i don't know that they specify and with dewalt it could be anything.