Sculpted Bar Stools

pkinneb

16 hours ago, Eric. said:

Those are awesome.  I can't believe I've never seen those before.  Are they off the Maloof site or are they knockoffs?

I got the plans from Canadian Woodworks.

Scott Morrison Woodworker has a similar stool with arms...I have been using his DVD set for construction tips as well.

• Like 1

Started on the front Maloof joints tonight...cut the flat and the low side on all the front legs before I move on and raise the blade for the last cut.

5942048d46739_Barstool56.JPG.8da8f012428f1bc1f7944ea941510118.JPG

I can live with this

5942048eb7cdf_Barstool57.JPG.7d7aa9f61464726e15a0b685b4f4ba31.JPG

Now for my latest mistake...note to self if you're going to take the time to mark and label your stock it might behoove you to pay attn to the markings ;)...luckily for me I was able to swap the legs and move on

5942049029727_Barstool58.JPG.112469049edec62ab0af5c669d9a503f.JPG

...so tomorrow I want to finish these joints do you folks see any issues with this table saw set up? (affix a temp riser to the sled)

5942049187988_Barstool59.JPG.963226c0bc30480ec5696ff8f1fdf48f.JPG

Or should I make a router jig? Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I don't understand what you need the riser for? I can't recall ever needing to do that.

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

To the tablesaw setup . . .  Is the scrap piece in order to make the part set level?  Are you trimming the dado to fit or is that a finished part and the part to be cut is sans dado?  I'm not quite with it.

Guy's due to the lumber I had available and the grain I was looking for I did not have enough material to make rectangular blanks for the front legs. The front legs on these stools are curved (forward slightly) so to get a 90 degree cut at the Maloof joint I need to raise the leg about a 1/2" or the end of the leg hits the table and keeps me from getting a square cut. The other option I have would be to make a router jig.

You're gonna make me put these on my bucket list, Paul.  Looking very cool.  Can't wait to see them take shape.

Good choice using lots of heartwood on these, too.  I usually prefer my maple white, but for these, the character maple is definitely a good call if you're not using figured.  They're gonna be earthy and interesting to look at.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Good choice using lots of heartwood on these, too.  I usually prefer my maple white, but for these, the character maple is definitely a good call if you're not using figured.  They're gonna be earthy and interesting to look at.

Thanks Eric! We have hickory cabinets through out our house and after working with it for my office cabinets I knew I did not want to ever use it again LOL. I think these will give the look of hickory without the issues that I found working with hickory.