Sculpted Bar Stools

pkinneb

23 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Looking amazing, Paul !! I love the idea lf the 12" drill bits. I will get some of those next time. I also love the use of the systainers. Another example of how awesome systainers are LOL

Thanks Shane! Yeah that was totally a cost savings measure that turned into a benefit as well. Regarding the systainers imagine that LOL

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

This has been a great thread so far! Those stools are looking sweet!

Thanks Alan!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, bradpotts said:

These are turning out so awesome!

Thanks Brad!

On 7/11/2017 at 8:31 AM, gee-dub said:

The final form starts to emerge.  Moving right along.

Thanks gee-dub...making progress but definitely a lot of work :)

No new pics tonight but I have been making progress. I think I can put the Kutzall wheel and grinder away next up I need to round over a bunch of edges. I had purchased a battery powered die grinder (Makita) for this but found out real quick the batteries don't last long enough eventhough I have 3 and worse it is just to big for this work so I went out and bought a $70 IR pneumatic die grinder it works much better.  The Makita was put on CL today :)

I also ordered a mid size rasp (9") to add to the collection. I had never used, or owned, a rasp prior to this project and I purchased Auriou 12", Flat, and 7" modelers rasps and can't tell you how impressed I am with these. I am blown away by how quickly and accurately you can sculpt with these things and its really fun and satisfying activity as well. 

Next up round overs and then sanding through the grits. I also need to decide how I am going to finish off those front corners and decide If I am going to add more curvature to the inside of the backs. I would really like to but after hitting a domino in one of my first seats I am a bit paranoid about the screws in the back, even though i know i would still be at least a 1/2" from them and probably much more ;) 

On 7/16/2017 at 6:31 PM, Chet said:

These are looking great Paul.  Sculpting looks real well done.  I am pretty sure I don't want to be you when the sanding starts. :D

LOL i'm not sure I want to be me either :) 

Having said that it is sanded to 80 grit now so once all three are to that point I will go over them to make sure everything is clean and fair and then hand sand through the grits it shouldn't be terrible...I hope.

23 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Those joints just melted together! Beautiful work

Thanks!!

23 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Those joints look so ridiculously amazing its making me excited to sculpt my bubinga. Ok, not really but maaaaan those joints are Re- Dikkkk !!

Thanks Shane I appreciate the feedback! Those bubinga chars are going to rock but they will take some elbow grease that's for sure...and the red dust :) 

22 hours ago, TIODS said:

Super nice job!  I really like those!

Thanks! You inspire me with your videos great work!!

21 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Smoooooooth! I like it!

Thanks! There is a few spots i need to touch up but overall pretty pleased so far.

• 2 weeks later...