Sculpted Bar Stools

pkinneb

Nice work so far ! Those templates look like they are from Paul Leminski. Did you order from my fellow Canadian?

26 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

What's the deal with the ras15? I'm not familiar with that green thing. 

An amazing sander/grinder hybrid. Used more by carpenter than furniture makers but it should do a nice job with the sculpting. I have one and love it. Ive never used it in my shop but will be on my next sculpted pieces. 

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

I'm digging this! 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Llama said:

I like it! 

Thanks! should be fun not something I have done before :) 

1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Awesome. Will the seats have low-backs on them?

Yes sir low backs no arms. Depending how this goes I may try a different sculpted design with arms in the future for our basement bar. For my first go around the armless version should make things much simpler. 

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

By a flat seat, do you mean not Coopered?

What's the deal with the ras15? I'm not familiar with that green thing. 

Correct not coopered.

What Shaneymack said. Using the RAS 115 with 24g sandpaper, CT26, my central dust collection, and air cleaners should allow me to do light sculpting/sanding in my shop with less of a mess then a grinder.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Nice work so far ! Those templates look like they are from Paul Leminski. Did you order from my fellow Canadian? 

I did :) 

47 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Awesome!

Thanks!

Dang! you guys got a lot of snow. I'm so glad that storm missed me we didn't even see flakes in the air.

Thanks for the information on shaping tools. With in the next year i will be making dining room tables and would love to do shaped/sculpted seats so I'll remember this. Did the RAS catch 50% of the dust 75% 25%?

16 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Dang! you guys got a lot of snow. I'm so glad that storm missed me we didn't even see flakes in the air.

Thanks for the information on shaping tools. With in the next year i will be making dining room tables and would love to do shaped/sculpted seats so I'll remember this. Did the RAS catch 50% of the dust 75% 25%?

Yeah we have another 5-8" forecast for tomorrow so I was glad to have a nice sunny day to get this step of the seats done.

I will let you know. So far I have not used it with dust collection since I was outside. From what I have seen in video's it will still sling it pretty good but will catch the fine dust, we shall see. Having said that even without dust collection I would get this it is much more forgiving than the grinder and cuts very well. I still think the grinding wheel for roughing out is good but them switch to this and finish up with regular sander. I also really liked the soft pad Festool sells for their sanders works great on the seat.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I don't remember seeing the lounge I'll have to go check it out.

I had emailed Paul and he informed me he had the templates but no instructions. He added the templates to the site the next day. My plan is to do the two bubinga sculpted lowbacks that I have in queue and then possibly tackling the chaise lounge.

29 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I also really liked the soft pad Festool sells for their sanders works great on the seat.

Are you referring to the interface pad?

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Looking good ! I would definitely try raising the bit a hair to tighten that up as long as that is your test piece. If it an actual leg im not sure id take risk and id do the adjusting by hand.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

That's what I'm thinking, thanks! That is the actual leg but I also have a test piece so I'll use it.