Cop Caddy

AstroDave

Dave, my son will become a Deputy Sheriff in March and my niece just started patrol as a St. Petersburg, FL police officer. I would love to make something like this caddy for them. Would you be willing to share the dimensions and plans with me? I won't be using a CNC but I like the layout. Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

Dave, my son will become a Deputy Sheriff in March and my niece just started patrol as a St. Petersburg, FL police officer. I would love to make something like this caddy for them. Would you be willing to share the dimensions and plans with me? I won't be using a CNC but I like the layout. Thanks. 

The design is borrowed and modified from an LEO that makes these as a side business.  https://www.facebook.com/Cop-Caddy-772810249501190/

I can share dimensions but quite frankly it was fairly adhoc. 

Center column is (2) 36"x4"x2 glued up with a rabbet running from the bottom to the half way point

The vest hanger is a 15"x1.5" board with 3 blocks cut to size so the bullet proof vest shoulders would fit.  The space between the center block and the side blocks is ~6".

The total original dimensions for the top trays was 30"x12"x2".  I ended up cutting it into 2 separate trays and don't have the final dimensions. The top tray opening was sized for the gun safe on the right side 13"x9" and the other side was pretty arbitrary.  I made sure my nieces radio would fit in the left tray opening in the back and flashlight they carry in the others.  I figured they might put their phone in there as well since the power strip I used has a couple USB ports built in.

I over-engineered the base making very heavy just in case it got top heavy.  I think is was roughly 24"x12"x2".  As you see in the examples on the link above he made his bases from mostly plywood.  Mine was 8/4 ash with a round over.  I ran 4 10" lag screws up from the base into the column for stability. Likely overkill...

The top tray was secured to the column by first bolting a board to the column and then gluing the trays to the board.

One thing to note that I changed from the original plan was I ended up with 2 separate trays rather than 1. 

Bottom line is that I can think of several ways I might do it differently.  I had a bit of a time crunch to get it done so the finish is not as nice as I would have liked and the joinery for the hangers and top trays to be better.  I ended mortising on one side and using dowels on the other side :) ...pretty lame.

DSC_0020(1).jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichardA said:

Bleedinblue is among our membership, He and his wife are both police officers, his opinion would be valuable! 

In my opinion, we carry too much crap on a daily basis :)

I've seen these caddies pop up a few times over the past couple years.  There's a market for them, when they pop up on the book of faces they always get positive nods.  The power strip is an excellent addition for charging flashlights and radios. 

11 hours ago, mat60 said:

Nice project.  I do wonder if cops keep there gun in a safe at home if they have no kids around.

Nope.  At least we haven't.  Even now we have a couple guns and spare magazines stashed in strategic places throughout the house.  The safe, which is just feet away from the bed, is basically just for long guns and ammo.  That'll be changing soon though, our baby is going to be walking real soon.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...