Dado comparison

collinb

Here's another vote for the Dewalt.  It's the only tool I have, out of many thousands, that I use the case it came with.  The chart in the case for dado width is dead on.   Sometime later, get a set of magnetic shims.  You don't need a large set of magnetic shims.  One will hold another that's not magnetic that comes in the Dewalt kit.

I marked with a Sharpie on the cutters which pieces to use with different thickness plywood, so there is no time wasted the next time I use that plywood.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Eric. said:

Collin, you have to tell me why you have a carved sweet potato as your avatar.  There's gotta be a story there.

That's a cheese curd.

16 hours ago, Mike. said:

I think it is a cheese curd, Collin is a huge fan of them.  I live close enough to the Wisconsin border that the novelty has worn off.  The seem flavorless and rubbery to me. 

That generally depends on the cheese factory one goes to.

I like Arena the best. Carr Valley is good but does get old.

14 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

@Mike. They are sold as salt curds where I come from. 

http://www.cubacheese.com/mobile/CHEESE-CURD/departments/37/

On Saturday wife & I were at a cheese store in Amish country (Shishler's, just s/w of Canton, OH) and the owner spoke that she gets her curds from NY as well. Because there is no cheddar made in Ohio.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freedhardwoods said:

Getting back to dado blades, would there be an advantage or disadvantage to the sd510 over the sd508?

Only if you need really deep dados(?). The cutter speed is higher due to the greater diameter and maybe someone can speak to this from a physics point of view.

I use an 8" because the Greene and Greene stuff I make benefits from the "reach".  If a 6" would do the job for me I would go with that.  I don't use a lot of sheet goods so maybe one of our pros could speak to dado diameter pluses and minuses for shallow cuts.

On 2/24/2017 at 3:41 AM, freedhardwoods said:

Getting back to dado blades, would there be an advantage or disadvantage to the sd510 over the sd508?

Not enough to justify the cost or the potential wear and tear on your saw.  A 10" dado stock would be a lot of mass to spin if you don't have a monster saw.  The upside is depth of cut, but that's not often an issue for a 6" stack, let alone an 8".  

• Like 1