Lift top coffee table

Tom Cancelleri

If I told you how I did the plugs, you'd think I was nuts. Pencil shading over the mortise, took a picture, imported it in Photoshop cleaned it up. Measured the hole length and width with a digital caliper. Converted the image into an svg. Imported into the cnc software, set the length which kept the size ratio and curve profile. I cut out 1 it was too big by .4mm, so I adjusted size and recut.

5337c6a140c85f7dff6b9866e2fc9332.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tom, did you resaw or sand to remove the plugs from the blank? Just curious, wouldn't it have been easier to just draw it to dimensions in Photoshop or other drawing program? For instance, if it's 22mm long and 5mm wide just draw a rectangle and put a 2.5mm radius on the ends, export to CAM program, external (male) toolpath and done. 

I'd like to do a similar lift table down the road. I'm looking forward to your build!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain.

I dry fit with sanded dominos for just that reason. I tried out wtnhighlanders "drill a hole in a domino " trick yesterday. It works great, especially on unmodified dominos. The sanded ones can introduce slop into critical dry fits. A lot of times I cut one side at the "1" width setting and the other side at "2" width except for the first mortice in the row. The first one aligns the ends and the rest of the row assembles easier. I put all the dominos in the tight fitting side so they don't move when I'm knocking the joint together.

11 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I feel your pain.

I dry fit with sanded dominos for just that reason. I tried out wtnhighlanders "drill a hole in a domino " trick yesterday. It works great, especially on unmodified dominos. The sanded ones can introduce slop into critical dry fits. A lot of times I cut one side at the "1" width setting and the other side at "2" width except for the first mortice in the row. The first one aligns the ends and the rest of the row assembles easier. I put all the dominos in the tight fitting side so they don't move when I'm knocking the joint together.

I do the tight width on one side and the middle on the opposite side for adjustment. When the domino slipped out of the end of the horizontal divider it rested on the edge of the ply and stuck. Do you think the sand flat and do "bodywork" on the face is going to be sufficient for hiding it? Any recommendations on filler?

Dent the damage inwards, harden w super glue, then recut mortice. Fill w body filler if you have some. When you sand flat leave trace that extends past the damage to feather it out. Sanding too far leaves a visible perimeter. Prime and sand that area before doing the entire surface. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 7:44 PM, Tom Cancelleri said:

If I told you how I did the plugs, you'd think I was nuts. Pencil shading over the mortise, took a picture, imported it in Photoshop cleaned it up. Measured the hole length and width with a digital caliper. Converted the image into an svg. Imported into the cnc software, set the length which kept the size ratio and curve profile. I cut out 1 it was too big by .4mm, so I adjusted size and recut.

5337c6a140c85f7dff6b9866e2fc9332.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Soooooo, magic.  That's all you had to say, magic :D