17?? house Job

Tom King

Thanks.   Although the sill looks like it still has some intact sections, termites have hollowed out the whole insides.  We're not going to be purists enough to hew another 34' long beam.  The only part that will remain visible is the inside surface above the foundation wall in the basement. That surface will match the old sill sides, but the rest will be built up of treated lumber.

The studs above the sill level are still hard as any rock.  We couldn't pull out but about half of the old Rosehead nails that the siding was nailed on with, but saved what we could.

I do enjoy it.  I got bored with new construction years ago.

Tom, this is really fascinating and the work you do is second to none.  I have a few questions.  1) are you restoring the entire house to its original condition?  2) how long will a project like this take you to complete?  3) what is the end result?  Will this become a museum, historical landmark, etc..

1) Yes, original condition.  Anything less is remodeling.

2) I don't do estimates or deadlines.  A person would need to be a lot smarter than me to look at stuff you can't even see yet, and tell not only what needs to be done, but how long it will take, and how much will it cost.  It takes as long as it takes, and costs what it costs.  This is just the back of the house.  Everything else we open up will present some new puzzles.  I'm 67, and will be very lucky to have enough years left working to be able to take this one to the end, and will also be lucky if they can raise enough money to keep the project going.  I've worked on it several times over the past seven years when they save up enough money to be able to do what's necessary to barely keep it hanging on.  They're finally getting better at raising money.  I have another job waiting for me to start that will take a couple of years, but I was afraid that this house might not last long enough for me to take that much time away.  I can't work on but one job at the time.

3)  Both.   They have great plans, but the main effort right now is preservation, which includes not only saving the structure, but history.  Such museum houses are all I've worked on for a good while now.

It's still there because it had a Cypress shingle roof on it for the first 150 years or so.  I found one of the original shingles.  It's had a very thick tin roof on it since then, and it's about done too.  A Cypress shingle roof will be next up after it's leveled up, and sitting on a good foundation.

I won't be posting daily updates here, or even on my website, but I'll try to remember to add something when it looks like it might be interesting.  There are long periods of nothing but work with little to show for it doing this stuff.

There won't be any woodworking for a long time now.  I'm intending on doing a journal on the shutter job we did this past Winter, but am using a laptop now, and putting a good computer together in my spare time.  It's no fun doing much on a laptop that's really too full to add many pictures to. I haven't even updated my website in months now, but do have a lot of pictures.  I expect woodworkers would like to see a more detailed journal on the shutter project.  There was about 500 sq. ft. of hand planing on that shutter job.  One picture can be seen in my "blacksmithing" thread in this forum.

great to follow along with this Tom, i worked here for about 5 years http://fourmounds.org restoring two old mansions and 15 out-buildings including a huge barn. you're absolutely right it's restoration and NOT remodeling by any means, it had it's own original woodshed that i worked out of. working there taught me many new skills and gave me an appreciation for the old ways, straight slot brass screws, 3 to 7 piece moulding and it's on the National Register of Historic buildings so everyone had their eyes on what i did, thank goodness i had a wide variety of tools to work with including a W&H moulding machine that saved my butt many times.

• Like 1

If you look on the bottom of the home page of my website, there are a couple of pictures of parts of it that were taken in 1972.  That was taken before they wrapped it with OSB and housewrap.  They ended up doing more damage than good by putting that stuff on it, but know better now.

Some number of years.

Treeslayer, Cool project too!

I don't think like that.  I'm always thinking about what I need to do next, and usually can't remember what i did yesterday.

One interesting thing I found, that would be interesting to woodworkers, is a mallet I found in an early 19th Century house behind the kneewall on the top floor.  I'll see if I can get some pictures of it.   It had obviously been used by the wear on the face, but the maker made a mistake, and ended up with a knot in the handle.  It broke at the knot, and he just tossed it behind the wall that would not be accessible again, only to be found 200 years later.  I had to go back in there to run some invisible ductwork, and wiring.

That mallet was made from a tree branch with a hatchet.  The head is offset relative to the handle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We spent several days taking apart the brick wall in a previous picture in the basement.  We saved almost all of the bricks, and hopefully have enough to do brick repairs needed, like to the tops of chimneys, with exact matching bricks that can out of the same clump (kiln).

We have the back wall ready to jack, and we raised it an inch today.  It went right up once we had everything ready.  I use 20 ton jacks, which are overkill, but I like it to move when I say move, and they don't lift much with each stroke.

The second jack from the left is in a space where I removed one stone.  The sill over it is just a shell left by the termites.  I'm planning to leave the end of the sill from there to the corner behind two doors, so people can open them to see the original framing method.  I'll fill that part of the sill with concrete, but from the left of that point I'll just leave a thin layer on the interior, so it will look original inside the basement, and build it back out with treated lumber where it won't be seen.

I didn't want to cut that corner stone, but the spot over the second jack is not strong enough to lift the whole corner, and worse around the other side of the corner.  The corner post, and sill right at the end is still intact, and hard as a rock, so I had no choice but to cut that stone to jack under it.  I wanted to save the framing for future display, and the stone can easily be replaced when we build the new foundation.  The mortar you see between the stones was added in the 20th Century with portland cement mortar.  I had to peck it from around the small stone with a 1/8" pin punch because it was harder than the rock.  The original stone work was dry stacked.  I'll use mortar when we rebuild them, but it won't be seen without getting down on your knees and shining a flashlight in the right crack.

The first picture shows the lower part of the brick wall in the basement that we left in place to hold that end of the support beam for the jacks.  The dirt under the original location of the outer stone walls is too disturbed from the wall tumbling in to give us enough support for the jacks.

Tomorrow, I'll pull a line and straighten out the whole length of the back wall before we carry it all back up to proper level.   We'll probably have to go around to the next side to jack the whole house up before we can lift a single side all the way back up.

Once it's up to proper level, 4x6's will be bolted to each stud with the lower ends of those "legs" resting on the 6x6 sitting on the ground right outside the foundation in the first picture.  After it's back up to proper level, sitting on the new legs, the stone foundation remnants can be removed, footings dug, concrete poured, and the wall rebuilt to look like it did originally. Inside the basement will also get new footings dug, and the inside wall built up to meet the outer part above ground.

If anyone is inclined to ask me when we will be finished, it won't be next Friday at 2:30.  The only thing I can tell you is that it will be done to look like it would have originally, only this time it will be built to last.

CIMG2184 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2181 (1280x960).jpg

CIMG2179 (1280x960).jpg

• Like 1