Bench Top Sander

Steve B Anderson

I am debating between a belt/ disc or oscillating spindle sander. My current need is to sand Mission style curves on tables but would like something with the versatility to handle more complicated shapes as my skill improves.

My budget for this is in the $100.00 range. I know this means a POS but until I make some sales that what it is.

Any advise on one or the other is greatly appreciated.

I would save up a few more bucks and buy the Ridgid. You will find most guys on here have it and love it, including me. It is a combo belt/spindle sander. For the money, it can't be beat.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Spindle%2520sander?searchtype=text&NCNI-5

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Wasn't thinking long term just long enough for you to save some more coin for a bit better model, like Shane linked to.

I posted for experienced advise from the community and I have always received quality recommendations from the members here. I appreciate every response from every member and consider each response valuable. After receiving all the advise on the Ridgid sander I will adjust my budget to accommodate.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendation.

On 6/21/2017 at 6:32 PM, Steve B Anderson said:

I posted for experienced advise from the community and I have always received quality recommendations from the members here. I appreciate every response from every member and consider each response valuable. After receiving all the advise on the Ridgid sander I will adjust my budget to accommodate.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendation.

Not that you need any more urging but, the Ridgid belt / spindle EB4424 served me well for years and dad is still running it.  At 40 pounds it is light enough to move out of the way if you don't want to a dedicated space for it.  bear in mind that many owners say the same thing, can't beat it for the price.  This is a lightweight unit with the works mounted to a cast skeleton covered in a plastic housing.  It rocks in its weight-class but, that doesn't make it a heavy duty machine.  Use it within its capacity and I think you will be very happy.  there are a lot of posts about modifying the dust collection for better results.

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Am I missing something? How do you sand the inside radius of a curved piece. My spindle sander like most I guess, have different sized spindles, allowing you to sand pretty small curves. 

If needed, you can remove the belt & just run it with the spindle only. I very rarely use just the spindle unless I need a smaller diameter or if I'm doing a closed curve.

18 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Not that you need any more urging but, the Ridgid belts spindle EB4424 served me well for years and dad is still running it.  At 40 pounds it is light enough to move out of the way if you don't want to a dedicated space for it.

I've been eyeballing a variety of spindle sanders for a while now, and only costing slightly more than a dedicated spindle machine, this one will do nicely.  It will replace my rickety old 6" belt and disc sander, and I'll just make a disc sander for the lathe.   And it'll give me a reason to built a cabinet base to hold it, maybe a fliptop to go with a scrollsaw.   Thanks for the info.

I bought the Ridgid last year... not sure how I scored this, but they offered me $50 off if I opened a credit account.   Not sure if that was some sort of father's day special or what, don't even think it was advertised.   Surprised me anyway.

It works fairly well.   I have nothing really to compare it to other than big disc sanders I've used in the past.   But belts are relatively cheap, easy to get in a variety of grits, easy to change.

I see Grizzly now lists something similar... although out of stock...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Edge-Belt-and-Spindle-Sander/T27417