Black Friday drill deals

adambaum

I’m in need of an upgrade. I’ve got two Dewalt 18v drills with nicad batteries. Batteries last maybe 10 minutes and are pricey to replace.  So I noticed most brands have a 20v lithium setup on sale for around $100.  Anyone have experience with the models in this price range? Milwaukee, Makita,, Dewalt, etc.

adam

I have some Milwaukee gear.  Its the Fuel line which is their brushless line which give you a little more power wit the same 18v that you are presently using.  I am really happy with it.  Acme Tools has all brands on sale today wit free shipping over $100.

The 20V batteries are actually closer to 18V. They were labeled as 20V to differentiate them from the older NiCad, which are a different format. I used to have a bunch of Dewalt NiCad stuff, but I found the battery life was horrible. Seemed like a couple of years was all they would last.

I've used Milwaukee M18 for the last several years & have yet to loose a battery. I have 6 or 8 tools & about 8 batteries & they get lots of use.

Consider the entire kit. Are you are you really only getting a drill, or planning to add more later? It is nice to get all from one company, so that you only need a couple batteries and a single charger set up, vs. having a mix match of different brands. I've had good luck with the Ryobi set. They ofter a variety of batteries for this system, so if you want something lighter (working overhead?) vs. something with longer life, you have that choice. 

They are selling a drill and impact driver combo for $99

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-with-2-1-3Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-P1832/207092155?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sXhADCnEW|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179091_pkw__pmt__product_207092155_slid_&gclid=CjwKCAiAo9_QBRACEiwASknDwRppp3Ip1bZSq6vFpHUaVhCVn0c52biHhDNUck-RnBZoVq2W1JqksRoC5ksQAvD_BwE

14 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Anyone else with Milwaukees find the bits coming loose from the chuck frequently?  If I forget and don't check the tightness a lot, I will drop my bit from the drill every time.

That’s the same problem I have with my Dewalt.  Seems like chucks these days aren’t as good as they used to be.

There are some price points being hit by drills with lower quality chucks to be sure. This has been obvious for decades. This is one reason for the buyer to beware in box stores. With the Amazon advent, just be sure to inspect quickly and make the return if you don’t like the chuck. This is another reason to keep broken drills in a tub somewhere. It is rarely the chuck that fails. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Most of the time all I ever need is 12v and I like the small size and light weight in the shop. 

+1. I have 4 little 12v drill motors. I could be fine with 3 but they were sold in pairs as a holiday special :).

I went with a little Rigid’s. With the LSA I haven’t bought batteries in a decade.

I have a larger Makita kit With a hammer drill and impact for bigger jobs. The 12v handle everything around the shop.

4 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

LOL that reminds me of when I was learning to stick weld (no MIG or TIG in those days) when I was an apprentice. We had to weld a couple of bits of steel together with the weld going vertically. I decided to lay the pieces down so I could weld horizontally. It was comfortable and produced a nice smooth weld. The instructor said to me "that is very good but when you are welding on a ship you can't turn the whole ship over in the direction you want because it is more comfortable for you" - I was only 16!

Yup, that is why the guys who can produce quality welds, working in cold/wet, confined spaces, overhead, etc. make more money.