What do you call this figure?

kyokahn

So I recently got a 4 large pieces (2½" x 14" x 7' down to 2½ x 12" x 3') of old growth Cocobolo and Cristobal (granadillo). These are rare even here.

They were VERY rough, to the point where I think they were cut with a chainsaw and left to dry for a long time. The Cocobolo looked grayish orange and I even had to use the beat up block plane to sort of identify it... Anyway, having small tools and a few jigs to work with, I was able to mill the smallest piece of Cocobolo and when I planed it, it showed some interesting patterns. It looks shiny depending on the angle just like curly figure but it's more pronounced and ... spiky?, so what do you call this?

20171217_182742_HDR-01-01.jpeg

Also, i made this li'l dude from a small offcut it's barely rough sanded and already showing luster! 

20171217_203137_HDR-1-01.jpeg

• Like 2

Storms touched land and did damage the forest (some other forbidden species of wood become available after storms) and some roads, but then they went north pretty quickly. I'd say we fared well enough :)

We were actually more affected by the cold front last week, winds gave us a massive power outage and a few damaged bridges.

I remember years ago a hurricane hit south Florida and someone managed to save quite a few Cuban Mahogany trees that were blown down. If I remember right a lot of it went to build a large private library.  The whole story is probably in a back issue of Fine Woodworking.

I hope you can get some rare or interesting wood. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Horntail, Fireball, or Vipertooth ?

Loving the idea of calling it horntail :D

15 hours ago, Art said:

It honestly reminds me of the Guinness beer Cascade

That's when you know you need a cold one!

16 hours ago, Tom King said:

Dragon Scales

I like it.

I feel like I need to know if the rest of the board (it was 10' long 16" wide, cut for storage into 7' and 3', the pic is the 3') has the same or similar figure, such an inspiration just to look at! It's quite a workout ahead though, but maybe a full length board will make me decide on a name :D And I haven't even skip-planed the Granadillo either!