Coffee Table build

pkinneb

46 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

This is cool. I like the direction it's headed. You mentioned fuming it, does it get fumed as a whole or will you do parts separately?

Thanks Drew! When I will fume it the top will not be attached but sitting on a couple blocks the base will be fully assembled.

Beautiful everything. Really nice lumber. Excellent design. Execution second to none. One thing I would do different. I would piece in spline with the grain turned  90 degrees. That way it is unbreakable...If the glue goes beyond the spline it is still strong enough. If the purpose is to locate alignment only then it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Beautiful everything. Really nice lumber. Excellent design. Execution second to none. One thing I would do different. I would piece in spline with the grain turned  90 degrees. That way it is unbreakable...If the glue goes beyond the spline it is still strong enough. If the purpose is to locate alignment only then it doesn't matter.

Thank you for the kind words! Re the spline it is indeed just alignment since the joint is long grain to long grain.

2 hours ago, Alan G said:

Coming together nicely! Can't wait to see this after fuming!

Thanks! Hoping next week or so assuming I can acquire some nice QSWO for the top this week.

54 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

It just dawned on me that this is going to be a very stout coffee table ! I would hate to find it in the dark with a toe.

Absolutely it has to stand up to my wife's run away vacuum LOL. The good news is the way our living room is laid out it will not be in a regular walk way :)

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I know glue messes with dyes and stains but how much it's does it effect fuming?

In my little bit of experience it is better than finish because it goes into the wood.  To give you an example, on my side table i had the top sitting on 1" square blocks and the tops of the legs were still fumed even with these sitting on them throughout the 6 hours. Having said that you still need to be careful with glue squeeze out because unlike a finish I think it would be rather hard to fix.

2 hours ago, lewisc said:

Tidy work. It’s got the look of a transformer to me. 

What’s that tool your using using to clean up the glue? Some sort of fancy scraper or just a piece of metal?

Thanks! That's a Paring Skraper from Benchcrafted I bought it and the larger Skraper from them at Handworks a couple years ago. I never use the larger one but this small one is my go to for glue removal.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That lumber looks amazing. Beings that you so nicely left your plans in the last picture i looked up the final result and like where this is headed a lot.

Thanks! Yeah if I am building it you can be guaranteed its someone else's design and in most cases I have plans. I have been woodworking for 3 decades and although I have changed plans quite often I do not think I have ever built anything I designed from scratch. I like to say I have become a pretty good copier. Having said that I do plan on designing a hall table in the future to go with this and the side table I built recently. I also plan on doing the same for a wine hutch at some point.

1 hour ago, I B said:

Truth!

I'm in the roll your own camp and design everything in Sketchup. Trip recently brought it to my attention that sketches and sketchup are great up to a certain point, after which you've got to prototype and see it in real life to get a better idea on proportions. Grab some dimensional lumber, mill it down, pop it together with a pin nailer and go from there.

This is the only place that Sketchup fails me, is getting a sense for proportions and size. I usually will use cardboard or something to mock up whatever it is im making to get a real life feel for size.