Coffee Table build

pkinneb

The table turned out nice Paul.  I really like the color you ended up with.

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

That looks amazing! I'd like to try fuming one day.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

You had the perfect project for it, if you would of had the time, in the clock you made for you dad.

• Like 1

The table turned out nice Paul.  I really like the color you ended up with.
You had the perfect project for it, if you would of had the time, in the clock you made for you dad.
I thought about that for sure but the clock was almost 7' tall. I figured it was too much trouble to make a tent that big. And yes, I was down to the wire as we sprayed it a day or two before we gave it to him lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Wonderful joinery and a great choice for the finish.  Great work.  I like it.

Thanks Ronn!

4 hours ago, pdacey08 said:

Wow, it looks great! Thanks for sharing it

Thanks

1 hour ago, bradpotts said:

This turned out great! Super nice job on the attention to detail and joints. I have never heard of the ammonia. I couldn’t really tell the difference between the ammonia and raw wood. What is it supposed to do? 

Thanks Brad! It darkens the wood using the natural tannins in the oak. Here are some samples I did for my first piece using this process. The bottom is the number of hours fumed, the middle adds one coat of garnet shellac, and the top adds 3 coats of Waterlox. As you can see the longer you fume it the darker the color.

5a8b80b203fa4_SideTable94.jpg.26073fd4286b9d223cabefca822a9257.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, curlyoak said:

From start to finish it was fun to watch. Well executed. And presented as a teacher. Why not wax the whole table instead of just the top?

Thanks! Re waxing only of the top primarily my reason is with all the small squares of the shelf it would be hard to get it on even. I will use a clear wax on the top for a little bit more protection that the rest of the piece doesn't need. If the piece didn't have all the cut outs I probably would use a brown wax to bring out the grain even more but since I am not doing the entire piece here you would not want to use  brown as it would be very noticeable.

16 hours ago, RichardA said:

See, see, I was right. If I could, I'd pat myself on the back.  But, I'll just pat you on the back,  I told you it was going to be beautiful.  I'm right again.  I love it.

Thanks Richard!

Great final results !

I like seeing the test boards, it looks like the color change isn't much between 4 & 6 hours. I remember reading someone used extremely strong ammonia that was hard to acquire. I wonder if it would achieve darker results or just get there faster? Maybe there is only so much tannins exposed to react with ?

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Great final results !

I like seeing the test boards, it looks like the color change isn't much between 4 & 6 hours. I remember reading someone used extremely strong ammonia that was hard to acquire. I wonder if it would achieve darker results or just get there faster? Maybe there is only so much tannins exposed to react with ?

I can't answer that Steve because this is all I have ever used...but next time I fume something I think I will leave a test piece or two in there for like 12-24 hours and see what happens. I have read several articles where they use the ammonia you are talking about and leave it for 12 hours or more kinda of curious myself. For me the 4/6 hours with the garnet shellac and Waterlox provides a look I am happy with