Fire near us.

mat60

Wife had gone to bed and I was watching TV and the phone rings at 11PM tonight . My first thought was someone bad off in family.  Anyway, It was someone telling me there is a fire. I live up on a hill and I go out back behind my shop and see flames way the he** in the air and it looks like its two houses away.  It now looks like the fire department has it nocked down but some family is without a home . Hopefully they weren't in bed and are ok.  Sure can make you think.  Everyone be safe.

• Thanks 1

Update.. I was able to have a look this morning and it looks like the large garage next to the house is where it all started and its burned flat. The side of the house is black and I couldn't see how bad it is. I must admit that scared the crap out of us. I no this has nothing to do with woodworking but it was something to see. Needless to say we didn't sleep last night but I think everyone is ok...Makes me wonder what started the fire.  I'm going to check my smoke detectors also and clean my chimney again in the shop today. Thanks guys. PS.  Keep that sawdust cleaned up off the floor. Mark

Smoke detectors are supposed to be installed outside a bedroom.  If there is a fire outside the BR and the BR door is closed, the SD goes off and it's too late then.  We have five- downstairs in the den, laundry room, shop, hallway to the bedrooms and at the top of the stairs outside the kitchen (split floor plan).

I have smoke detectors installed everywhere except the kitchen. I am sure that is a bad idea for fire safety but I actually cook all the time and having them go off every time I burn something or a pan with some oil gets overcooked just drives me nuts. Good thing is that with modern detectors you can buy them with 10 year batteries so you can install them everywhere just by putting a few screws in.

4 hours ago, Bankstick said:

Smoke detectors are supposed to be installed outside a bedroom.  If there is a fire outside the BR and the BR door is closed, the SD goes off and it's too late then.  We have five- downstairs in the den, laundry room, shop, hallway to the bedrooms and at the top of the stairs outside the kitchen (split floor plan).

In the hallway but code in a lot of areas is in the bedrooms as well. In case a fire breaks out in a bedroom when the door is closed. 

One of the guys that works for me lost everything he had in a fire.  He was asleep, and almost wasn't able to make it out of his house.  He lives a couple of miles from me, and walked to my house in his underwear at 2 A.M. that morning, barefoot.  All he had left was the pair of boxers he was wearing.   Fortunately, it was Summer.  His church really stepped up, and between them, and us, he came out of it okay in the end.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tom King said:

He lives a couple of miles from me, and walked to my house in his underwear at 2 A.M. that morning, barefoot.  All he had left was the pair of boxers he was wearing.

That's horrible, any time I've responded to a fire in the past, the cops usually either waited around till the Red Cross or United Way would show up, or give them a ride somewhere.   It is usually part of protocol in my experience to have some sort immediate disaster support in place, even if it just giving the people a ride to a shelter/hotel. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 6:59 PM, wdwerker said:

In some places the code calls for smoke and CO detectors to be interconnected. If one goes off they all go off. 

This is what we have and if one of them goes bad they all go off until you find out which one needs replaced.  Fun times when there are 10 smoke detectors on 3 different levels all connected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2018 at 4:48 AM, Marmotjr said:

That's horrible, any time I've responded to a fire in the past, the cops usually either waited around till the Red Cross or United Way would show up, or give them a ride somewhere.   It is usually part of protocol in my experience to have some sort immediate disaster support in place, even if it just giving the people a ride to a shelter/hotel. 

We are out in the country.  I'm a mile off the main road.  He lives down another road on the other side of that main road down a ways.  There is only one house between his, and ours, and the old lady that lived there would have been little help.  His truck was under a roof next to the end of the house that was completely engulfed, and his phone in that end of the house too.  He was lucky he woke up.  It was a fairly old house that he had inherited.   There is another building on his property that he converted into a house.   No one else even saw the flames.  It even ruined all the cinder blocks in the foundation. That was probably close to 20 years ago.

On January 24, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Tom King said:

One of the guys that works for me lost everything he had in a fire.    He lives a couple of miles from me, and walked to my house in his underwear at 2 A.M. that morning, barefoot.  All he had left was the pair of boxers he was wearing.  

And that's why one should always be wearing clean underwear .:P

Aj

10 hours ago, Unknown craftsman said:

And that's why one should always be wearing clean underwear .:P

If I was in a major disaster, my underwear wouldn't be clean very long!  My wife put up two new smoke detectors yesterday.  We are contemplating on putting the two older ones somewhere.  The instructions with the new ones said to put SDs in the bedrooms.  We have SDs in- hallway outside the bedrooms, hallway outside the kitchen (sounds off when frying), above the gas heater in den (CO detector also), laundry area, shop along with fire extinguisher.