More Floating Shelves

..Kev

11 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

Nice job Kev!  I didn't hear you mention, and my laziness didn't check the notes, but where did you get the mounting hardware from?

I think I mentioned them at the end but, I’ll look up the info when I get home. 

10 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Those turned out really nice Kev!! Curious how thick are those slabs? Pretty heavy?

They’re a heavy 2 inches thick. Being pine, they weren’t too heavy but, heavy enough to warrant the heavy duty brackets 

• Like 1

Loblolly Pine will get the blue streaks if the log is left on the ground too long before it's picked up to be carried to the mill, beetles, or no beetles-or even the logs left on the ground at the mill for too long before processing.  It's one reason that mills limit the number of logs they buy sometimes, depending on what they have sitting on the yard.

Standing trees will get it after they die from the beetles before it's cut, but before the trunk starts to rot.  I think it's more about drying conditions, than about the beetles.   If a stand of trees is cut after Pine Beetles have killed it, it's going to have the blue streaks in it if it's dead, but still worth taking to a mill.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Very nice!

Installation gets a lot easier with story sticks though. This is the one I have:

It's a valid point but, in this case, building the jig was the better option.  The story stick would work well for locating the holes but, doesn't account for burying the base of the bracket into the slab.  I like that story stick tho!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Great video Kev. How much do you suppose each slab weighed and what it the load limit on the bracket, if you recall? 

Thanks Coop. I should be home in about a week and I’ll drop all the info on the brackets in here. 

If I had to guess, I’d say the slabs were around 20 pounds each 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it home..  As requested, here's the info on the brackets.

The brackets came from Walnut Wood Works - https://www.walnutwoodworks.com/

And here's the actual brackets that I ordered - https://www.walnutwoodworks.com/product/floating-shelf-bracket-only/

Definitely great people to deal with!  The wife has already let me know of more shelves that need to be done.