Jewelry box build

pkinneb

Man i need to try some of that wenge. I know it's aweful to work with but this looks stunning. Megan likes dark colored everything so i know she'll love what ever i make out of it. Your only a few days off of your April July 1st completion date.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Man i need to try some of that wenge. I know it's aweful to work with but this looks stunning. Megan likes dark colored everything so i know she'll love what ever i make out of it. Your only a few days off of your April July 1st completion date.

I love the look of it but my experience is that it didn't plane well even with sharp tools and if you pickup a board you will have slivers. I found sanding provided an awesome finish and that's what i did here.

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

Really fantastic job, Paul. From wood selection through the cloth details. top notch all the way!

So what's next on the list?

Thanks Mick! Next up is a Mike Pekovich Case on stand class at the Marc Adam's school of woodworking. Starts July 16th :) 

Article Image

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I love the look of it but my experience is that it didn't plane well even with sharp tools and if you pickup a board you will have slivers. I found sanding provided an awesome finish and that's what i did here.

Thanks Mick! Next up is a Mike Pekovich Case on stand class at the Marc Adam's school of woodworking. Starts July 16th :)

So keep the shaping simple and the drum sander is your friend. Got it.

Did you ever find you nice white ash?

39 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

...Did you ever find you nice white ash?

I think so. I ordered it from Boone at Bell Forrest Last week...should arrive next week so we will see. The curly maple on this project as well as the QSWO for my end table and coffee table builds all came from them. I looked locally Youngbloods three times, Cremona, and the two CL sellers you advised me of with no luck. At this point I will have to use whatever shows up since I'm out of time, so fingers are crossed. I did provide pictures of what I was looking for so hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

So envious. I'd love to take a course from him, particularly his approach to design.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, Mick S said:

So envious. I'd love to take a course from him, particularly his approach to design.

It was very informative to have Mike talk about why he designed certain feature into this piece. Not going to lie some of it was way above my pay grade but the seeds have been planted to start paying attn to design features and what they can do to change a piece, good and bad.