Jewelry box build

pkinneb

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

... I’ve never worked with Wenge. 

My first time as well

58 minutes ago, RichardA said:

As I recall, Wenge is splintery, That may be why I haven't used it for many years. I just might be a woose.

I have heard that as well I'll have to see how it goes. 

Nice wood combo... I'm still thinking through what I'm going to use for my jewelry box builds, too. Will be very curious to see how yours turns out! My project keeps getting pushed back- wife wants me to finish some furniture before I get to smaller projects like this. She claims my girls (5 and 3) won't appreciate it anyway right now, so there's no point to do them until they're a bit older...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

The panels look awesome! That’s one heck of a feather board on your bs. That’s not THE green is it? If so, I’ll have to continue getting my wife to hold the board against the fence with chain mail gloves. 

Thanks Coop! No not Festool they are called FeatherPro and you can get single or double I have both but really like this one for resawing.

17 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

@pkinneb Do you recommend those feather boards? If yes what brand are they? I'm looking for something for my bandsaw. I got sick of getting my fingers so close to it and have had some poor cuts as a result.

Drew I don't use feather boards as often as I should but I use this Feather Duo from Bow Products double one every time I resaw, it works really well. I bought it from Peachtree Woodworking supply on one of their sales. I have a single at the TS but like I said I don't use it as much as I probably should.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

this is gonna be pretty once all done ... hurry up :) 

I have this on my list for the wife one year to do as well.

Thanks! Will do not much shop time over the weekend had family stuff going on. It will be done by her birthday (I think) which is April 23rd 

I also took a few days off from the project to let the maple panels acclimatize but after changing my planer knives I was able to get the top, bottom and sides milled to size and the back panel glued up.

JB-21.jpg.295aff9b01e97500a7ddbb9e89cfd653.jpg

JB-22.jpg.818fb399dad9a830eadecbc321e3baf4.jpg

JB-23.jpg.ae00e5d60408b11eb5c394d2446b8fdb.jpg

Keep in mind this is a combination of Marc's WW build and a Woodsmith project so some parts may seem strange like the size of the back. I will not have a secret drawer in the back and the side panels will be curved and hinged off the back panel.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@pkinneb Do you recommend those feather boards? If yes what brand are they? I'm looking for something for my bandsaw. I got sick of getting my fingers so close to it and have had some poor cuts as a result.

FYI woodcraft just put them on sale 20% off still spendy but a little relief.

https://www.woodcraft.com/search?brand[]=BOW+Products&q=featherpro&utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+https://www.woodcraft.com/search?brand[]%3DBOW%2BProducts%26q%3Dfeatherpro&utm_content=FeatherPro&utm_campaign=03/12/2018&_bta_tid=19105355305476418981254995229153660666096674899407178558930029771745318865791716374167428327764855610887&_bta_c=2612smrvr212if52h49e5pgh1ht0i 

• Like 1