Little C-Table

FlyinFish

1 hour ago, FlyinFish said:

I don't know what to call the top bar joint

I imagine if one were to dig around in some older books you might find something like "tongue and dado", maybe.

Looks like a nice little project.

That's a nice looking piece, and for sure very useful. But I'm going to offer a little critique, even though you didn't ask for it. The joint between the top & legs would be much stronger if the tenon was in the center of the leg rather than the edge. There is no strength to the part above the tenon & excess downward force (like maybe a kid sitting on it :() on the top will pop that piece off the top of the leg. If the tenon was in the center there would be the long grain to keep the top from breaking off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drzaius said:

That's a nice looking piece, and for sure very useful. But I'm going to offer a little critique, even though you didn't ask for it. The joint between the top & legs would be much stronger if the tenon was in the center of the leg rather than the edge. There is no strength to the part above the tenon & excess downward force (like maybe a kid sitting on it :() on the top will pop that piece off the top of the leg. If the tenon was in the center there would be the long grain to keep the top from breaking off. 

I had just the same thought. In structural engineering terms, you've got one line to shear off instead of two, plus that little cantilevered piece will be subject to bending stresses. A dowel driven through the top of each could fix it.

Thanks guys. We do all of our table top dancing on the dining table, so I think this should be okay holding up a pint of beer or two.

This isn't intended to be like a coffee table. Some c-tables are bigger and higher, but this style is low and small. It's just for resting a drink and remotes/phone on.

The breadboard ends on the top are tongue and groove. I'm fully aware of the movement risk and figure this will be a good experiment for that :).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FlyinFish said:

We do all of our table top dancing on the dining table

I like him already and he hasn’t been on here long enough to warrant such affection  :D Pics please to justify that you really belong. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Isaac said:

I had just the same thought. In structural engineering terms, you've got one line to shear off instead of two, plus that little cantilevered piece will be subject to bending stresses. A dowel driven through the top of each could fix it.

Much better said. Sometimes I wish I spoke Engineer :) 

Recognition of risk and trying it anyways as an experiment, sounds like something I would do !  I build quite a few small pieces for specific locations & purposes in my house. Most are built with leftover materials. I understand their limitations but I wouldn't readily build something that way for clients or family. Your "C" table might not fit a different sofa but you can enjoy it and build a different one in the future.

I predict a child using it as a diving board may lead to its demise before the joinery is an issue . I'm certain that my puppy will damage a few things before I get him trained. Am I correct that parents have a similar outlook ? All of my children have had fur. 

The table looks good with the sofa. No one will notice the details that this crowd have pointed out. I hope a little constructive  critique isn't taken personally. 

• Haha 1

I think folks aren't familiar with this more modern style of table. No one is going to sit on this thing. Most of our friends have some form of these tables and no one has ever sat on one or stood on one.

It's inherently a weak design. That's what allows it to slide under the couch. If it had 4 legs, it couldn't do that. You can add support in other ways, but it adds bulkiness. So, yes, it's generally susceptible to damage if misused. And it's definitely not an heirloom piece. Just a pretty place to rest a cocktail. If someone breaks it, they'll get a spanking, young or old :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

The table looks good with the sofa. No one will notice the details that this crowd have pointed out. I hope a little constructive  critique isn't taken personally. 

Absolutely. The table looks great. Please don't let my comment detract from that in any way. Was just a minor suggestion for the future. 

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Recognition of risk and trying it anyways as an experiment, sounds like something I would do !  I build quite a few small pieces for specific locations & purposes in my house. Most are built with leftover materials. I understand their limitations but I wouldn't readily build something that way for clients or family. Your "C" table might not fit a different sofa but you can enjoy it and build a different one in the future.

I predict a child using it as a diving board may lead to its demise before the joinery is an issue . I'm certain that my puppy will damage a few things before I get him trained. Am I correct that parents have a similar outlook ? All of my children have had fur. 

Yup on the first part. Most definitely not on the diving board part, but if it does happen, the child will get a talking to and docked 2 weeks pay. And definitely not taken personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1