Why I show my work..

mat60

On 4/2/2018 at 7:39 PM, wdwerker said:

Yea, same slider for 20+ years. It can be fiddly to adjust but it's stays square a long time. The Woodpeckers framing square helps when getting it back to perfect 90.

It's tough to think of it as a mere framing square given its precision.

• 2 weeks later...

Have Two small jobs I'm able to  get to now.  Had 150BF of maple delivered today.   I took a 1/32 off each side so I can see what I have to work with .  Not the best looking maple but it will work.   I'm building a simple 6 draw chest and two small cabinets out of maple.  Ill work on some tops first   I also am trying some mats from HF in front of my bench and tablesaw.  I'm getting old. 

100_0611.JPG

100_0610.JPG

100_0614.JPG

• Like 1

Good Idea ..Done....I no there is not allot of love for Harbor Freight but I thought Id try some $199 clamps and caliper gauge that I think will be better than the one I have. I will be using the caliper when drum sanding my draw stock. Got a electric 3500LB tongue jack also and installed it yesterday. Made me think of a level the bed thread we have . 

100_0609.JPG

100_0613.JPG

I got the digital height gauge for my new drum sander and it’s nice so far. Digital calipers & dial calipers have both improved the accuracy of my work. They are both worth buying. Cheaper digital ones are fussy, the step to mid level doubles the price & improves the consistency of the measurements. 

Quick grip type clamps may not have as much pressure but have become an integral part of my process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mat60 said:

Good Idea ..Done....I no there is not allot of love for Harbor Freight but I thought Id try some $199 clamps and caliper gauge 

I think somebody else linked this first, but here's a review of the HF clamps. I was surprised by how well some of them rated. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/harbor-freight-clamps-one-year-later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I got the digital height gauge for my new drum sander and it’s nice so far. Digital calipers & dial calipers have both improved the accuracy of my work. They are both worth buying. Cheaper digital ones are fussy, the step to mid level doubles the price & improves the consistency of the measurements. 

Quick grip type clamps may not have as much pressure but have become an integral part of my process.

Steve, what does a digital height gauge look like? 

• Like 1

It straps on to the drum sander frame and the head(that moves up and down. SuperMax makes 2 heavy gauge metal brackets to mount it. The gauge (made by another company) comes with brackets & instructions to fit Dewalt and other planers. You sand or plane a board and then without changing the height setting use that board to set the zero point on the gauge.  You can switch between MM and inch or fractions at the readout.  I will have to remember to take pictures next week at the shop. A new toy and a redhead will keep me busy and entertained this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No need to apologize. Almost everyone of us are insecure in our hobby, but  we want to improve so we show our miserable pieces and take the abuse we expected. But most of the time, the only faults with the work is only what the builder knows and see's and can point out to anyone in a flash. The fault would most likely never be seen by anyone if he hadn't pointed it out. You do good work and will get even better by learning from our mistakes. Just as we will bet better from what you show us. And that's all I have to say about that.  Like it or not, you are now one of us.... That'll teach you to hang out here.

• Like 2

They want something like this with no face frame. She is using it in her craft room so I couldn't talk her into something nicer. I am not use to building a chest with no face frame so I'm a bit worried about it racking. The back having ply will help there but the front I'm not so sure if that will be ok. 

100_0649.JPG

Clients almost refuse to comprehend that heavy loads ( paper files) no face frame and the possibility of a floor settling can shift the opening out of square.  Case looks ok but I would have use overlay drawer fronts and large gaps between the fronts to cope with movement. Clients get focused on cramming more stuff in the space available. I have had people sign that they understand there is no  guarantee on pieces prone to racking or built below recommended design for the job. If they insist on MDF or particleboard I just walk away these days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Clients almost refuse to comprehend that heavy loads ( paper files) no face frame and the possibility of a floor settling can shift the opening out of square.  Case looks ok but I would have use overlay drawer fronts and large gaps between the fronts to cope with movement. Clients get focused on cramming more stuff in the space available. I have had people sign that they understand there is no  guarantee on pieces prone to racking or built below recommended design for the job. If they insist on MDF or particleboard I just walk away these days.

Hi Steve. That was a pitcher they gave me to show what they want..Im glad to say the case I build will have overlay draw fronts and I'm thinking about leaving a 1/4 in gaps. I'm also thinking about a rabbit joint with maybe screws or nails to attach the top and bottom of case. After the case is built I will be installing a solid wood top over the case so the joints wont show. Hoping it stays together. I'm use to bracing the heck out of things and with no face frame I'm not seeing how that can be done.

Screw it to the wall if possible. Shim the base to square up the case. Euro frameless construction is based on wall mounting and shimming to level & square the case. They have hanging rails for wal cabinets that help w adjusting. Base cabinets are put on leveling legs. If they want it free standing insist on heavy duty leveling feet. .

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, wtnhighlander said:

I have one of those calipers, and it's pretty handy, since it reads fractions. I tried those clamps as well, don't expect to exert much force before they slip.

Tried the clamps today. You were right.     I like the caliper and have been enjoying the matts allot. Never needed matts before now. I don't no whats up with that.