Bandsaw advice

prov163

I am making a major tool purchase so I always ask here first. I have a Ridgid 14” bandsaw that I bought at the Woodworking show about 6 years ago for $199. I am ready to upgrade. I don’t presently have 220 though I am planning to do so later this year so I know I’m slightly limited. 

The two I have in mind are the Laguna 1412 and the Grizzly 17” 2hp anniversary edition. The Laguna is a couple hundred more but looks like a great machine. On the other hand the Grizzly is 17”. 

Anybody have either of these machines and can give me your pros and cons?  I’m more interested in feedback from users than reading marketing material. 

I can't speak to the those machines, but just want to ask, what sort of blade do you have on your current bandsaw? I've read several articles where the authors really push the need for a top end blade, arguing they'd prefer a lower end bandsaw with a top notch blade, than a more expensive model with a cheap blade. I know it made a big difference for me when I purchased a Resaw king blade for my 14" bandsaw. 

• Like 1

I have the 14" Grizz as well as the 17" Grizz..  Both have done everything I've asked of them.  

I've used the Laguna 14" and really liked it!

With that said, I'm hearing a lot of complaints about Laguna's customer service if you have issues.  I've had great luck with Grizz customer service but, have also heard complaints about their customer service.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I have the Laguna 1412, the one Kev has used, :)  I have had it for about 4 years now and have zero complaints.  I haven't had to call their customer service so I can vouch for that one way or the other.  Seeing pictures of Frank's Rikon 10-326 it looks like a well made machine that is probably worth a look.  If you have a Woodcraft store in you neck of the woods you might be able to see the Rikon and Laguna side by side.  As Isaac said good blades help the cause.

I recently was in a similar situation as you and was looking at the Laguna 14bx versus a Rikon. My old saw was a second-hand 18" Griz and it was just awful, so I wasn't really interested in a Griz. However, I just kept thinking about how someday I was going to find an amazing 16" board that I wanted to resaw and wouldn't be able to do it on the smaller saws. Then I said, f***k it, and just bought the Laguna 18bx instead. My bank account was not happy, but I am!

I own a Grizzly 17" bs. I'm not a fan of their guide bearings. I recently  replaced them with Carter guides and bearings and now love the saw. In the rare occasion that I need to contact Grizzly's customer service I have nothing but positive comments. Most of my equipment is out of warranty but I know if I have a problem all I need to do is pick up the phone and talk to a professional. They never ask if my machine still has warranty.

I have a the Laguna 1412 (2 yrs) and it works great for curves but I have never resawn with it because I have a Laguna 16HD (13 yrs) that I use for that. Here are a couple thoughts:

1) I have never had an issue with either saw...but as long as I have owned them Laguna customer services has been slammed. I bought my 1412 knowing this but it should give you pause

2) Tom is right bigger is better when resawing

3) If I planned on doing a lout of resawing I would wait and get a 220 machine

4) Get a highland woodworking wood slicer for resawing for $30 bucks you will know how a resaw blade is suppose to work. If you start going through them to quick upgrade to a carbide tipped blade like a Lennox or Resaw King (not a fan but they may have improved them since I got mine a decade ago)

5) I love the ceramic blade guides but not everyone does. If you have a chance give it a test drive.

Do your research, make a decision, buy a saw, and then make something and post it to the forum!

I have the Laguna 1412 and I think it works pretty well but having never had a different bandsaw I can't compare directly.

It wasn't easy out of the box.  It was packaged well, but the instruction manual that comes with the saw is just wrong and very disappointing.   Laguna has posted videos on youtube which show how to actually assemble the saw, but they should fix their manual.

But it's done everything I asked it to do and I'm quite happy with it.

I've been doing some research and I am liking the Rikon 10-326 a lot.  Going to Woodcraft this weekend to test out this and the Laguna.  Pricing is close to each other.  Rockler has the Laguna 1412 on sale for $989; Woodcraft at $1099.  They both have the Rikon 10-326 at $999.

As for questions about blades, I have been using good blades and replace them when dull.  There is no fence, the saw is underpowered, dust collection sucks, even with Carter guides drift is an issue at times, the insert got chewed up so I have temporarily put a sheet of mdf on the table to resolve that since you can't get that part.  It's just time to upgrade.  I'm looking forward to moving on up like George and Weezy!

• Haha 2

Does anyone know if Woodcraft price matches? I’m going to buy a bandsaw (leaning toward the Rikon 10-326) and a dust collector. Highland has the Rikon $100 less than Woodcraft. Rocker has the Laguna at $110 less. That $100 will go towards the mobile base. If they don’t price match, do you know where there’s a coupon for 10% off?  I just missed their 15% off Rikon sale which ended three days ago. Should have decided to buy one last week ;)

45 minutes ago, prov163 said:

Well I pulled the trigger today. Took a ride to Woodcraft and bought the Rikon 10-326 bandsaw (mobile base ordered) and a Jet 1.5 Hp dust collector with canister filter and their new vortex cone technology. I plan to add a separator in the future. I’m ordering the Byrd shellix head and new bearings for my DJ-20 this week. Gonna be busy in the shop the next couple of weeks. I’ll do reviews as I go. 

Congrats I have seen a lot of good reviews in that bandsaw!