Wood for a Spa shelf

Brendon_t

I'm constantly irritated by my beer being knocked off of the side of the jacuzzi do have decided to add a small shelf to two sides simply mounted to corbels. 

This be in the sun all the time and direct water contact.

What do you guys think as far as lumber? I'd rather not put a thick coat of anything that will look like plastic as the sides are a flat finish stain. 

Thinking real teak, mahogany... Looking for input. 

those woods above will work and so will western red cedar also cypress does well in the weather. No sap on the cypress...I think the key to making the wood last is that all the water drains off. If it stands for a long time on the wood could be trouble. Maybe a drill hole to drain water if necessary?

Looks like ipe is going to be it. At 3 a linear foot, I can't complained when teak is 27 a board foot.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Brendon, what size piece(s) do you need. I have some smallish stuff in teak that I salvaged off of a sailboat that probably looks as good now as when they built it. It’s yours for the asking. 

Thanks but probably bigger than was salvaged. Going to run the shelf the whole 96" on one side and  at least half the other. 

11 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Well, I've not worked much Wenge, but it wasn't near as hard as Ipe. I just looked up the hardness; Wenge is around 1630 Janka to Ipe at 3500. Ipe is almost as splintery as Wenge too.

Really! Wow i must have gotten some nice Ipe, i didn't really notice much of a difference between it and hard maple or Hickory.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Really! Wow i must have gotten some nice Ipe, i didn't really notice much of a difference between it and hard maple or Hickory.

There are other similar looking tropical hardwoods that are often passed off as Ipe, but are not.