IG woodworkers got the same memo?

Brendon_t

Has anybody else noticed that within the last few weeks, maybe a month, that a lot of the woodworkers we know from the community and YouTube who have Instagram have started posting a lot more often? Beyond that, does it feel like the quality of the actual posts has gone down? I feel like there are just a bunch of "fluff" type checking the box posts. Is that a thing with IG to get better placement in search?

In not complaining as IG is a free platform already chocked full of ads. More wondering if I missed the memo or am"noticing" something that isn't really happening?

I have noticed that 4eyes content has been circling the drain. The stuff that made him so appealing has stopped and now he's pandering to the DIY crowd and probably getting criticized for not having a sawstop and making projects that are too difficult.

I haven't noticed much different from Cremona or Marc. I mainly follow them to catch Marc's rants and Matt trolling by handplaning a stick of butter with a LN smoother ect.

I havent noticed much change. I dont follow that many woodworkers though. Marc, Matt, Mike Pekovich, and Jay Bates is about it. Their stuff is great, and the content has been pretty consistent. Its no surprise though that people who are trying to get views and likes and follows and whatnot are basing their content around DIY, construction lumber from HD, and pocket screws. Thats what gets the mass amount of attention. Just take a look at the woodworking subreddit on Reddit. Anything that is construction lumber screwed together in the shape of a planter box or a table gets upvoted straight to the top, whereas anything truly nice and well made from good material barely makes the front page. 

I haven't gotten on board with Instagram. My wife uses it but she mostly puts food pictures on it. 

I see some of these videos like new music that's released. Much of it sounds similar and the artists need to keep releasing songs or they'll be forgotten about. For me, there's nothing timeless about (some of) the popular music today.

Gotta keep releasing videos or they won't get the likes and subscribers. 

5 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

. Just take a look at the woodworking subreddit on Reddit. 

Ooh no. Made that mistake a few times. I'm pretty sure the dumbest trolls on the internet congregate in Reddit for the sole purpose of being jerks. Not my spot.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I see it too. Having made a feeble attempt at becoming a 'toober, I understand the drive to capture popularity. Especially true since Youtube raised the bar on monetization. Those that depend on Adsense and sponsors for their income are scrambling to stay afloat.

I've been considering a different model for using social media to generate supplementary income as I approach retirement age. As I (slowly) build my skillset, I plan to produce shareable content, as it seems appropriate. Videos and/or written blog-style stuff. (IG is mostly good just for attracting folks to other content.) Not a constant stream of pabulum for the noobs, but things I find useful, and worth sharing. Open-source sort of model. Content will be produced as long as I can swing it, for free,  but some sort of voluntary sponsorship tool (Patreon, etc...) would be employed to allow those that so desired to support my efforts. Perhaps the occasional corporate sponsorship, should I ever gain a following worthy of such attention.

Does that sound like something that anyone in this crowd would be interested in supporting, collaborating on, or trying for themselves? I know at least a few of you crank out the occasional video.

The thing that annoys me most about IG is that any time I like or comment on the post of a bigger name (Cremona, Spags, Howarth, etc), I get a flood of follow requests from these generic woodworking accounts that just post clickbait and reposts of reposts, probably not giving credit to the original creator. I know that they are not genuine follow requests wanting to see my 7 posts, maybe two of which are woodworking related. -_-

But I have noticed some accounts resorting to quantity over quality. I usually unfollow them once they go too far down that rabbit hole. Same with youtube channels.

• Like 1

What i don't understand 1 bit is emojis. There are some accounts i could put names down and you'd probably know who they are. That ever post the put 3-5 emojis as a comment and that is it. I don't get the point of it. Other wise I've noticed more of  a decline in the user comments over the creator content. You used to be able to put a legit question in and get a comment or response now it seems to just get flooded right away.

• Like 1

I was late to Instagram but I always just used it as a this is what's going on in the shop today kind of thing.  People either seem to use it like that or as just to post things to tell you about what's going on on a different platform to go there.  So when projects are moving along there are more posts and when life stuff is going on there's not as much being posted.

As far as Youtube goes the views have collapsed and a lot of channels are struggling.  I can't be putting a huge amount of effort into a video for 10-20k views so I've been doing simpler videos and no one is watching them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Does that sound like something that anyone in this crowd would be interested in supporting, collaborating on, or trying for themselves? I know at least a few of you crank out the occasional video.

I'll subscribe and occasionally suggest ideas. ;-)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Ooh no. Made that mistake a few times. I'm pretty sure the dumbest trolls on the internet congregate in Reddit for the sole purpose of being jerks. Not my spot.

Well theres no doubt about that. I used to love reddit, like 7-8 years ago, but really have gotten away from it. I still check out the smaller subs that interest me, but i have pretty much unsubbed from all the others. I agree, its a pretty toxic place unless you are in the smaller subs. Even then its no guarantee.