Bed Covers For Pickup Owners

Chestnut

I test drove one about a month ago and got 36 mpg on a a short loop (freeway driving) around MPLS. It was loader on take off then my v6 canyon but not annoyingly so. I really couldn't feel any other differences so for me it would come down to cost, in my case if I upgrade my 2015 I will probably get it. Having said that I just did a 1400 mile loop from Mpls to IN and averaged 25.9 mpg with my v6 4x4 (in 2wd mode) with the cruise set at 76 mph most of the way. As I stated above I love this truck just wish the would add a few more creature comforts.

@chestnut , I've been told that military HumVees are all auto trans these days, because too many recruits can't drive a stick. 

I always enjoyed a manual in the rice burners I used to drive, but in full-sized 'murican pickups, the clutch pedal throw and floor shifter always seemed uncomfortably long.

There is a pretty significant price difference on the diesel vs the v6 when looking at branding new models, but the diesel comes in the slt trim as well and looking on true value it seems used ones that are about two to three years old are only 2-4 grand more than the gas versions. Just with the improved mileage it seems to bring the total cost of ownership down of the diesel over a 5 year period and much better say over a 10 year period. 

My current truck turns 19 next month and while it's still running it's probably time to start thinking about the next one should be. The pro canyon crowd seems to be pretty big here so I thought I'd get some thoughts on the diesel version.

45 minutes ago, EEstudent said:

There is a pretty significant price difference on the diesel vs the v6 when looking at branding new models, but the diesel comes in the slt trim as well and looking on true value it seems used ones that are about two to three years old are only 2-4 grand more than the gas versions. Just with the improved mileage it seems to bring the total cost of ownership down of the diesel over a 5 year period and much better say over a 10 year period. 

My current truck turns 19 next month and while it's still running it's probably time to start thinking about the next one should be. The pro canyon crowd seems to be pretty big here so I thought I'd get some thoughts on the diesel version.

The engine only costs $4k extra compared to the gas if all trim selections are the same. The part I'm going to call the crappy part is you have to get those high level trim packages to unlock the diesel engine. I think this is BS, they have to know that these engines drives the sales for their higher level trim packages. There are some people that want the creature comforts but there are probably just as many people that want a cheap midsized work truck trim with a diesel engine. The creature comforts/luxuary items on vehicles drive the large share of the vehicles depreciation.

If they offered the work truck trim of the clorado with the 4cyl diesel and sold it for $4k more than the base price that'd be a $25k pickup with an awesome engine. That vehicle would fly off lots not to consumers but buisnesses would LOVE them. Since the ranger got axed most buisnesses that used to use the ford ranger started using the ford transit but I'd bet they would switch back to a midsize pickup.

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Drew you a probably right but unfortunately there is probably only a couple grand of markup in that $25K truck vs the $10-12K in the $45K version. My guess is GM is very well informed on this.

Yep that engine option in reality costs them more than the $4k they add to the price hence the reserve it for the higher trim levels. Such a shame. If it were me i'd cut one of the engine options and sadly it'd be the V6 i'd cut. Either that or i'd ax the diesel and v-6 and put in their new 2.7l turbo they have in the full size. In fact once i got a good engine it'd be cheaper to put said engine in everything than to even offer options. Sink a ton of R&D into one awesome powerhouse and then leverage it till the sun doesn't shine.

This is why i love Subaru so much they have 2 cars worth of parts and 4 different vehicle frames and just mix and match everything together to make their vehicle models. Their brake pads are the same across all vehicles, and when i say all i mean the STI uses the same brake pads as the lowest impreza. The have 3 engines which they made off of 2 engine blocks.

• Like 1

Having one well defined engine that is very reliable does seem to produce good results for vendors. I believe that that is a big reason of Chrysler's success. They put that v6 pentastar in quite a bit of their SUV lineup. 

It is disappointing that the diesel engine is only in the higher end models, however the depreciation is significantly more on the mid to higher trim levels. I know some people prefer to buy brand new I just shudder at new sticker prices compared to cars with 20k miles when there is still probably at least another 100k miles on the car. So buying a slightly used diesel seems to make it pretty reasonable. However I do admit it would be pretty nice to be the only one who has ever driven that car.

The transits aren't bad. Not as cool or appealing as a truck, but it does carry quite a bit of stuff. My ego would hurt a bit buying one for personal use. But for busniess purpose it would be pretty great.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, Chestnut said:

I have also only heard good things about the diesel. It's just outside what i want and my price range. Now if they offered the duramax on an sle model with a manual trans I'd be all over it. I don't have much interest in Thru Denali I'm sure it's nice but a pickup Is a tool to me. Thru probably offer it in brazil. It's silly I'd bet the decline in manual transmissions is due to dealers not wanting them on the lots not because they can't sell them but because they don't want to allow test drives.

I tend to think, that manual shifting is not taught in drivers ed, so automatics become the only way to go.  As I was leaving the Trucking industry, automatic transmissions were starting to become the norm. Mostly, because no one teaches manual shifting any more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I tend to think, that manual shifting is not taught in drivers ed, so automatics become the only way to go.  As I was leaving the Trucking industry, automatic transmissions were starting to become the norm. Mostly, because no one teaches manual shifting any more.

That hasn't helped the decline either. I learned some MT in drivers ed but most of my MT experience before cars was all off road vehicles. Even those have started to go away from MTs. After i learned how much of an advantage they give you in some situations i kind of lost all desire for ever owning an autotragic errr automatic.

56 minutes ago, EEstudent said:

It is disappointing that the diesel engine is only in the higher end models, however the depreciation is significantly more on the mid to higher trim levels. I know some people prefer to buy brand new I just shudder at new sticker prices compared to cars with 20k miles when there is still probably at least another 100k miles on the car. So buying a slightly used diesel seems to make it pretty reasonable. However I do admit it would be pretty nice to be the only one who has ever driven that car.

I looked at buying used but the options i wanted were all of 3k savings over new with 45 k miles and i'd have to drive it back from FL or TN or CA. The other option was to buy a 10 year old Ford Ranger with 100k miles on it for 10k. New they were all of 16k, i remember this because i thought about buying one in 2011 but didn't because i was a broke AF college student with no full time job. So to me this means the midsieze pickup towards the base model is a more solid choice for buying new. In the end i don't care much I'll have this pick for the next 25 years or until i drive the wheels off it.

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

I drove a split axle dump for awhile. Shifting ranges and gears at the same time is not quite like the Isuzu pick up I learned manual on. On my first day my boss said “Know how to drive stick?” I said “I understand it but never have.” He replied “These keys go to that Isuzu truck. Practice, I will be back in an hour.” 

Not sure I will teach my kid that way. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

I drove a split axle dump for awhile. Shifting ranges and gears at the same time is not quite like the Isuzu pick up I learned manual on. On my first day my boss said “Know how to drive stick?” I said “I understand it but never have.” He replied “These keys go to that Isuzu truck. Practice, I will be back in an hour.” 

Not sure I will teach my kid that way. 

Not to worry, these last few generations have decided that easy is the only way to live or do anything. automatic transmissions will  one day be the only transmission available.

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

Not to worry, these last few generations have decided that easy is the only way to live or do anything. automatic transmissions will  one day be the only transmission available.

Yeah, but by that time, the cars will be driving themselves, anyway. I'm expecting a govt. mandate within the next administration or two.

Makes me glad Columbia TN still raises good mules ...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Yeah, but by that time, the cars will be driving themselves, anyway. I'm expecting a govt. mandate within the next administration or two.

Makes me glad Columbia TN still raises good mules ...

Oh we're a lot further away than that. I'd say it's 25years at least. We might see it on freeways in 25 years any where else is probably even further off.

• Like 1

@treeslayer @bleedinblue @pkinneb Did i ever as you 3 about Running boards? wondering if they are worth it for the pickup and if so what styles are better than others? I've never had them beings that my ranger seat was about butt height off the ground.

Pickup has a delivery date and i got the invoice. Not super thrilled with the price increase from 2018 to 2019 but not much i could do there.

37 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

@treeslayer @bleedinblue @pkinneb Did i ever as you 3 about Running boards? wondering if they are worth it for the pickup and if so what styles are better than others? I've never had them beings that my ranger seat was about butt height off the ground.

Pickup has a delivery date and i got the invoice. Not super thrilled with the price increase from 2018 to 2019 but not much i could do there.

I will just start by stating that I am not a running board guy so none on mine (4x4) at 6'1" they would just get in my way. My wife at 5'4" has never complained but does use the grab loop on the windshield pillar when getting in. As trucks go even in 4x4 these do not sit that high, see pic below. My guess is 2wd will be slightly but not much lower.

403126587_Kayak33.thumb.JPG.8f0cad6d57ac5a4bd76933b607623ea9.JPG

40 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I will just start by stating that I am not a running board guy so none on mine (4x4) at 6'1" they would just get in my way. My wife at 5'4" has never complained but does use the grab loop on the windshield pillar when getting in. As trucks go even in 4x4 these do not sit that high, see pic below. My guess is 2wd will be slightly but not much lower.

Yeah i remember that picture. Have you ever finished that stitch kayak yet?

That rack looks nice. I'd constantly be worried about stuff hitting the roof of the cab though.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah i remember that picture. Have you ever finished that stitch kayak yet?

That rack looks nice. I'd constantly be worried about stuff hitting the roof of the cab though.

Sadly no! And unfortunately it just got moved to spring 2019 on the schedule. My better half has me redoing our outdoor kitchen this month and then the next several will be spent finishing our basement. Hoping to start the Morris chair in  December but that may slip as well. I'm already twitching a bit at not being in my shop for several months so I may have to sneak a little time in there for some smaller projects I have been wanting to finish.

Re the rack I only leave it on when I need it takes less than 30 min to install or remove.

Maybe I'll wait on the running boards then.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Sadly no! And unfortunately it just got moved to spring 2019 on the schedule. My better half has me redoing our outdoor kitchen this month and then the next several will be spent finishing our basement. Hoping to start the Morris chair in  December but that may slip as well. I'm already twitching a bit at not being in my shop for several months so I may have to sneak a little time in there for some smaller projects I have been wanting to finish.

Re the rack I only leave it on when I need it takes less than 30 min to install or remove.

Man it sounds like she's positioning you to be out of a house soon better work on a shop lease agreement with the next home owner:ph34r:.

I know what you mean i am taking a break from the shed to do some shop work this week and it might extend into next week. Haven't decided if i'm going to go back to the shed after the coffee table or work on another project. I really need to do shelves and in shed organization.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Man it sounds like she's positioning you to be out of a house soon better work on a shop lease agreement with the next home owner:ph34r:.

Nah if she was going to boot me it would have been years ago after 32 ears together why bother...well I do have a lot of life insurance hmm...nah she would never get away with it as our police detective daughter would be sure to catch her in anything nefarious LOL

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nah if she was going to boot me it would have been years ago after 32 ears together why bother...well I do have a lot of life insurance hmm...nah she would never get away with it as our police detective daughter would be sure to catch her in anything nefarious LOL

Oh i meant she has plans to move you both out. It's good to know you have contingencies in case your wife turns on you. Though you didn't plan for a wife and daughter team up....

Man i have no motivation to work today. I want  to go home and work in the shop.

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Oh i meant she has plans to move you both out. It's good to know you have contingencies in case your wife turns on you. Though you didn't plan for a wife and daughter team up....

Man i have no motivation to work today. I want  to go home and work in the shop.

LOL yeah she does want to be on a lake but I don't see that happening either...I'm safe there that one s definitely a daddies girl :) 

You and me both, I think I'm going to bail at 3 today. I need to mow and then run to HD for glass to finish up the case on stand build. Oh and I need to turn a door pull :)