Bed Covers For Pickup Owners

Chestnut

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Will it carry a 4x8 sheet of ply? 

Yes and no. It'll hang over the back but I'm ok with that. The bed is larger than my other pickup just slightly.

48 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Great news and a fine looking ride! is that a stock color or an optional one? really nice color.

It's one of the options. I doubt they make many equipped like this one. So far it's exactly what i wanted.

On my 130 mile lap of Minneapolis today the computer was telling me i was averaging 25 mpg. I'm hoping that pops up 1 or 2 after break in and if it does I'll be happy as a pig in ....

That was driving 70 in city traffic if i hit some 55 mph back roads i won't be surprised with low 30s. With a pickup ... it just blows my mind.

40 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

On my 130 mile lap of Minneapolis today the computer was telling me i was averaging 25 mpg. I'm hoping that pops up 1 or 2 after break in and if it does I'll be happy as a pig in ....

That was driving 70 in city traffic if i hit some 55 mph back roads i won't be surprised with low 30s. With a pickup ... it just blows my mind.

I suspect you will get high 20's on the highway. On my trip to MASW (1400 miles) my avg was 25.9 at an avg speed of 75. I leave mine in 2wd most of the time.

Installed some Rally armor mud flaps on the canyon last night. I really like these on my car with 1 exception. My car is so low to the ground if i back up to a curb or large bump it can trap the flap between the object and the tire and rip it off. The pickup shouldn't have this issue. I prefer these over the factory one because they are about the same price but are far larger and aren't molded so they don't catch debris. They make factory kits for some cars but not for the colarado/canyon so i bought a universal set and used some factory screws.

2856854943114906015.thumb.jpg.ef86f53e5ab4e46e232d090b5a1a8df6.jpg

And of course i took a picture and then noticed the rear one is crooked. Maybe I'll fix that some day. Going to pickup the Bakflip MX4 tonight i'll do a post tomorrow probably with my thoughts, I tihnk that's what most of you are all waiting for :D.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, Chestnut said:

On my 130 mile lap of Minneapolis today the computer was telling me i was averaging 25 mpg. I'm hoping that pops up 1 or 2 after break in and if it does I'll be happy as a pig in ...

OK, splain yourself. Those of us that think of Minneapolis think of the speedway. Where did you drive 130 miles just to get an average mileage? 

I got the bed cover installed. It was far easier than i thought it was going to be. I got a lot of pointers from the guy that sold it to me which was helpful. I need to go through and weather seal the front with some sealant and maek and adjustment on one of the latches.

175347760198761591.thumb.jpg.454acc2cc704d8cf0346ea9d6c265a20.jpg

6453207402021470881.thumb.jpg.56b555e31e3dbd5d45d5e3532374b281.jpg

So far I like the Bakflip. I like that it has more sections but i haven't had enough time with it to really form an opinion. The quality control from the company is poor. The guy that sold me this had to redrill a lot of holes for the adjustment latches to get the top to fit right. Also due to the poor quality control he called and complained about a few things and ended up getting this one sent to him for free. He decided there was more wrong with this one than the first one he bought and they didn't want either back so he sold it.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

OK, splain yourself. Those of us that think of Minneapolis think of the speedway. Where did you drive 130 miles just to get an average mileage? 

There is a speedway here?

I live in the north western corner and had to go to the south west corner. Due to construction it's easiest to take  interstate around the east side so i drove a large ellipse i guess.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:02 AM, Chestnut said:

I got the bed cover installed. It was far easier than i thought it was going to be. I got a lot of pointers from the guy that sold it to me which was helpful. I need to go through and weather seal the front with some sealant and maek and adjustment on one of the latches.

So far I like the Bakflip. I like that it has more sections but i haven't had enough time with it to really form an opinion. The quality control from the company is poor. The guy that sold me this had to redrill a lot of holes for the adjustment latches to get the top to fit right. Also due to the poor quality control he called and complained about a few things and ended up getting this one sent to him for free. He decided there was more wrong with this one than the first one he bought and they didn't want either back so he sold it.

There is a speedway here?

I live in the north western corner and had to go to the south west corner. Due to construction it's easiest to take  interstate around the east side so i drove a large ellipse i guess.

Wow that's pretty cool! One of the least invasive covers i've seen yet.

Hit 1,000 miles already. only took 6 days.

So had the pickup camping this past long weekend and the top worked awesome. It rained on us a couple times and there were a few leaks as expected but far less got in than i thought. I haven't applied a drop of sealant to the top yet and i know once i do the amount of water will decrease. Opening and closing is nice and easy and super convenient. I can recommend the BAK brand cover. So far in my life I've used solid fiberglass covers and the rolling vinyl covers and the segmented flip cover is the best yet.

Also got to tow a trailer with 2 atvs on it probably weighed near 2,000 lbs got 17 mpg with the trailer and it towed like a full size super happy with that.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:06 AM, pkinneb said:

Wow that's pretty cool! One of the least invasive covers i've seen yet.

Yeah it's much better than the roll covers. Their rails seem like they extend a lot further into the  bed. I was up near the 29-30 mpg driving the highways around Itasca this past weekend. The improved mileage over my old pickup is going to be nice. So far the town mileage isn't much different. I'd be able to improve that if i drove a bit nicer though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Very nice.  I cant keep up with all the auto makers names.   Is the Canyon a half ton like the F150?

Yeah like Mark siad it's midsized so Ford Ranger or Chevy s-10. It's just the GMC version. I don't really know what that means honestly i just like the grill look better.

P.S. I'm more of a ford guy honestly, it's a bit painful to own a GM vehicle but it's good like seriously good and the 2019 ranger won't have a manual option. My priorities are with the transmission :).

18 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Chestnut, you didn’t buy any QS oak lumber?

NO! They didn't have any in 4/4 they had gobs of 6/4 and 8/4. I'd have grabed the 8/4 but i didn't feel like paying the premium for 8/4 to then resaw it down to 4/4. It's for the shelves so it's just going to get covered in books.

I did pick the stack to get mostly rift sawn boards so the grain is mostly strait just doesn't have the ray fleck.

On 8/30/2018 at 7:02 AM, Chestnut said:

I literally just got back inside from doing this.  It was easy, and with the self tapping screws and soft aluminum I didn't even bother drilling, just used hand pressure and cranked through it.  It SHOULD NOT have to be done with a semi-premium cover though.  I had to do it on two latches.

Between the last time I checked this thread and now, I bought a Bakflip G2.  It was a refurbished model that I got for just over $500 from Real Truck off Ebay during one of Ebay's xx% off sale.  Due to a lengthy mix-up, Real Truck ended up sending me a second cover by mistake.  They want that one back though, it's on my "to do" list to label it and call Fed Ex to schedule pickup.  All in all I like the cover.  I was going to get the MX4 but couldn't pass up the deal on the G2.