Bed Covers For Pickup Owners

Chestnut

@Chestnut, I'll probably do running boards soon just because my 2 year old can't reach to climb into the truck.  I think it bothers her that she doesn't need help getting in the wife's car, but has to be lifted into the truck.

My wife and I don't need them, and I don't think they add THAT much cosmetically.  I wouldn't bother if it wasn't for the kid.

4 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

@Chestnut, I'll probably do running boards soon just because my 2 year old can't reach to climb into the truck.  I think it bothers her that she doesn't need help getting in the wife's car, but has to be lifted into the truck.

My wife and I don't need them, and I don't think they add THAT much cosmetically.  I wouldn't bother if it wasn't for the kid.

That is a great reason to get them. Noted i'll hold off and see if the need ever pops up like it did for you.

Lots of replies. Our first truck had an ARE topper, lifetime warranty. The next truck has a Leer topper and it isn't near the quality. Didn't want it and didn't like the guy at the truck accessory place. But SWMBO insisted on it.

There was a news blurb that said 85% of the 4WD vehicles are never off pavement. Raised up north and in 56 years never had a need for 4WD.

This will be lifestyle dependent. I live up north and have to pick parking carefully where to park in my car because of the clay mud after storms on job sites. The same goes for unimproved farm and hunting paths. Off road in that sense has multiple meanings. Most up here are off road in that minimal tamer sense. 

EDIT: I do see a fair amount purchased as a security blanket for snow. It is a nice feature for that. All this to say “need” is kind of relative when efficiency is priority to some. 

You didn't ask me about running boards, but since it's free I'll give you my opinion anyway. 

They make it a little easier to get in while making it a little harder to get out.  When exiting the running board is not where your foot wants it to be.  It's too close to the truck to be a good step - for adults.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

You didn't ask me about running boards, but since it's free I'll give you my opinion anyway. 

They make it a little easier to get in while making it a little harder to get out.  When exiting the running board is not where your foot wants it to be.  It's too close to the truck to be a good step - for adults.

Oh man i didn't know i missed someone. I went back through the thread and thought i caught everyone that commented that had a canyon/colorado. Seems like there are enoigh of us that we should request  sub forum :D.

Yeah I've always noticed that when getting out there are too close to be helpful but far enough away from the side to be in the way of your shin.

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

No appologies.  I don't have the Canyon/Colorado.  I have the truck shaped car (Ridgeline), but they still offer running boards.  

Oh yeah your that ridgeline owner, i do take back my apology and convert it to an I'm sorry you bought a Honda.... :D

I should say this is a joke Honda is a good company I've just never been a fan of some of their exterior and interior styling, except for a couple models. It's like preferring chocolate cake over vanilla or Tea over coffee.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As part of the gifts from my wife for her going out of town this week, I got some running boards.  I just finished installing them.  I'm pretty luke-warm to the look.  They looked a lot more badass on the Real Truck website, now it looks pretty old-man'ish.  The truck looks lower and a lot less aggressive.  I guess that means it's time for a levelling kit, if not a small lift. 

• Like 1

Just now, bleedinblue said:

As part of the gifts from my wife for her going out of town this week, I got some running boards.  I just finished installing them.  I'm pretty luke-warm to the look.  They looked a lot more badass on the Real Truck website, now it looks pretty old-man'ish.  The truck looks lower and a lot less aggressive.  I guess that means it's time for a levelling kit, if not a small lift. 

Picture? I'm getting real antsy. The preliminary date is 21st or Tuesday next week but the sales lady told me not to get my hopes up until the following week. My big itch is i haven't bought lumber in like 6 months. I got this big shed that's full of space and nothing to fill it with ........ doesn't help that a form member with a saw mill keeps flooding the form with pictures of lumber.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Picture? I'm getting real antsy. The preliminary date is 21st or Tuesday next week but the sales lady told me not to get my hopes up until the following week. My big itch is i haven't bought lumber in like 6 months. I got this big shed that's full of space and nothing to fill it with ........ doesn't help that a form member with a saw mill keeps flooding the form with pictures of lumber.

I knew when making that last post it was pretty worthless without pics, then I didn't get out to get any until this afternoon. 

20180816_124514.jpg

20180816_124503.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

I knew when making that last post it was pretty worthless without pics, then I didn't get out to get any until this afternoon.

I think that looks pretty good. Might be a bit nicer if they were tucked closer to the vehicle but then they aren't as useful.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, Mark J said:

No appologies.  I don't have the Canyon/Colorado.  I have the truck shaped car (Ridgeline), but they still offer running boards.  

I also have the new Ridgeline, but I hadn't heard it described that way.  I like it!  I'll definitely be using that description.

• 2 weeks later...