Bed Covers For Pickup Owners

Chestnut

10 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Rich Corinthian leather ?

Well i didn't get it from a small crystler that's still bigger than my pickup .....

It's either Italian or from Brazil i can't remember. The smell was fantastic the whole trip though. Talk about a good air freshner or polluter because it was probably all harmful chemicals... :D

I've been really happy with my BAK Revolver X2 tonneau cover. Gives me complete bed access when I need it, doesn't block visibility when completely retracted, and is reasonably secure. (There's a new X4 version now that I don't know anything about since it wasn't available when I got mine).

On 6/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, K Cooper said:

Good creative use of space. Even got your accent plant in there. 

Yep. Picked up a couple plants lefter over from my mom and grandma's yearly plant sale. They each have 100 some varieties of perennials and when they get to big they dig them, split them up and sell the extras for some dang good money. Those 2 plants are bleeding hearts.

• 5 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Life has been miserable without a pickup.

Know what you mean, sort of.  Every time one of my son-in-laws borrow my truck, the whole time it is gone I have the heebie geebies.  Even if I don't need it at the time.

Truck borrowing etiquette requires returning it full of gas no matter how low it was when borrowed and at least a cursory swipe at cleaning. This courtesy ensures the ability to borrow it again in the future....   otherwise go rent one and guess what it has to be full & clean or you get charged for that at inflated prices !

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chet said:

Know what you mean, sort of.  Every time one of my son-in-laws borrow my truck, the whole time it is gone I have the heebie geebies.  Even if I don't need it at the time.

I've found the best way to prevent the borrowing of vehicles is to own manuals. It's also great theft protecting. Can't count how many times with my old pickup i thought "meh it's a manual they probably won't think it's worth the effort".

14 hours ago, mat60 said:

Its funny how most people never need to buy a truck because they can just borrow one.  Maybe you can even get it back with a new dent and no gas..

Yeah i'm on the giving end of this situation. I should just stop helping people ..... I've said multiple times i get less back in help than i give.

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Truck borrowing etiquette requires returning it full of gas no matter how low it was when borrowed and at least a cursory swipe at cleaning. This courtesy ensures the ability to borrow it again in the future....   otherwise go rent one and guess what it has to be full & clean or you get charged for that at inflated prices !

Yeah! as if owning a pickup isn't a bad enough. Get hosed  in maintenance, fuel mileage, and depreciation.

Think twice before you buy a big van too !  I've got a 14' StepVan. Everyone wanted to use it to move, plus me driving & helping. Rarely got more than pizza & beer plus a sore back in return. Required a full tank of gas after that. 40 gallon tank & 7-10 mpg slowed that down real quick !

You all clearly own too nice of trucks. My 1991 Toyota pickup is a 4 cylinder 4wd manual that burns oil if you go up too steep of a hill and the transmission is loud as hell in certain gears. Shockingly no one wants to borrow it. I do get notes on it every 6 months from people who want to buy it. 

No one has offered an actual price. There's a certain type of person after the truck, usually someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. On the weekend if we're sitting in our house we'll occasionally see work trucks stare at it as they go by.

11 minutes ago, legenddc said:

No one has offered an actual price. There's a certain type of person after the truck, usually someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. On the weekend if we're sitting in our house we'll occasionally see work trucks stare at it as they go by.

For some reason people think those pickups are indestructible and there is a religious :D  following of them.

34 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Maybe it's the simplicity and easy to fix ?

My theory is that they are a decent vehicle that is sought after so they are worth fixing. because people fix them they stick around thus their indestructible reputation. Most well maintained vehicles will last a long time. Simple and easy to fix helps.

Not to hijack too much, but since there is a bit of canyon discussion already going on this thread. Has anyone considered the diesel engine on the canyon? Or does anyone have it? Is the mileage as good as advertised? Any likes or dislikes? The website calls it a small Duramax engine which has a pretty good reputation in the bigger trucks. I don't know if it is somehow related to the big version at all or just a branding type thing. 

I have also only heard good things about the diesel. It's just outside what i want and my price range. Now if they offered the duramax on an sle model with a manual trans I'd be all over it. I don't have much interest in Thru Denali I'm sure it's nice but a pickup Is a tool to me. Thru probably offer it in brazil. It's silly I'd bet the decline in manual transmissions is due to dealers not wanting them on the lots not because they can't sell them but because they don't want to allow test drives.

• Like 1