Coffee table with drawers - How I learned to hate maple.

CharlesC

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks great to me! The large drawers are to hold stacks of board game boxes, I assume?

That's the hope at least!

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I like it. I think the new too looks good. For the old one after i drilled through I'd probably have just gone through with all and then done end grain dowels. Highlight it and call it a feature no one would know it's a mistake

I considered it but I was pissed and wanted it to look like how I planned it lol. There were other smaller defects in the top too and I just wasn't happy with it. Good learning experience though because I have a kitchen table on the list.

I'm practicing "passthrough" dowels currently and its more difficult then it seems. The main issue is to create that tight seem around the dowel you were looking for. You can buy dowels in 1/16th increments. Just buy a dowel 1/16 larger then the hole and sand down about 80% of the dowel so it fits in the hole. The remaining 20% will make sure you have a snug fit. Not sure if this is the best method . . .

The piece looks great by the way!

1 hour ago, Leaseman said:

I'm practicing "passthrough" dowels currently and its more difficult then it seems. The main issue is to create that tight seem around the dowel you were looking for. You can buy dowels in 1/16th increments. Just buy a dowel 1/16 larger then the hole and sand down about 80% of the dowel so it fits in the hole. The remaining 20% will make sure you have a snug fit. Not sure if this is the best method . . .

The piece looks great by the way!

Oh yeah that was a whole other disaster I didn't even mention. Since my plug cutter is crap I drilled the hole with a bit that was 1/32 smaller than the plug. Damn thing was tight enough that it put a hairline split in the breadboard. That damn top was death by 1000 cuts.

38 minutes ago, CharlesC said:

Oh yeah that was a whole other disaster I didn't even mention. Since my plug cutter is crap I drilled the hole with a bit that was 1/32 smaller than the plug. Damn thing was tight enough that it put a hairline split in the breadboard. That damn top was death by 1000 cuts.

I  have had things go like this but Im very glad not that often.:wacko:  Sometimes Its best to walk away for a while.