Pair Of Bookshelves

Chestnut

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

I could spend an afternoon with that book about Ansel Adams.

His autobiography is a good read, there is some good philosophy buried in there that applies to any creative type work. It was also interesting learning how much of a hand he had in helping develop the cameras we came to see as the modern camera.

8 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Looks great. I love the open bookcases. A torchiere floor lamp might look good in the corner or a pedastal for a sculpture ?

I was thinking the floor lamp would be a great addition as well. I mentioned it to Megan and she didn't think the corner would be a good spot for a light. But the ones that shine upward would create an awesome lighting environment for that corner. I'm going to look into that as well as an RF switch because with the ceiling fan in there we have to stumble to the side lamps in the evenings and it's annoying. You'd think the ceiling fan companies would figure this out to wire the light separately from the fan so you can just switch one and not the other.......

Some new ceiling fans come with a remote that controls the speeds/ on /off and the light w dim. My 35 year old Hunter fans have the lights wired separately so I hooked those to my remote system in the house. Fan motor is wall switch for on / off & pull chain for speeds.

I've got an uplight behind my TV that's diagonal in a corner. Washes up the 16' tall wall to provide ambient room light without any reflections in the TV screen. If the torchiere is above eye level/TV screen you should be good.

@wdwerkerYeah we have a remote for the fan light but it's always at the wrong side of the room. My thought is to get 2 remotes and leave one by the light switch and one on the bed side table. In fact i might tape it to the bedside table and it's spot by the light switch so they don't get moved.

I just tried searching and I'm not sure why no one has developed a traditional toggle switch that looks like every other switch that  will wirelessly trigger an outlet or something. All of them are designed to look futuristic and always end up looking @$*@ tacky.

My stuff is X-10 , old and giltchy tech. They have plug in modules and wired in switches that trim out to look like the Decora large rocker type switches. One thing I like is plug in base controllers. Got one bedside and one by my recliner. Hear a noise in the night and I push all lights on. 12 floodlights on all 4 sides of the house plus lamps and ceiling fixtures come on. Then the dog starts barking and usually zooms out the doggie door. What prowler would hang around after that ? All lights off gets used a lot more, there are very few lights not on the system. No more trips around the house to shut everything off. LED floodlights 35 watts each = 120 watt incandescent. I hated the compact fluorescent floodlights , they took several minutes to achieve full brightness. 

• Like 1

Twilight books? Really?

Bookshelves look great! Check behind your lightswitch, ours had an extra wire that I was able to add a double switch (in a single width box) to control fan speed and the light separately despite the electrician who installed it saying it couldn't be done.

Yeah those flat rockers are the ones i don't like I just removed 3 or 4 of them from the house because a combination of the two styles looks very tacky to me. I also don't want wifi enabled BS I'd rather it be close loop RF so I'm not opening myself up to being the target of future internet hacks. Have enough issues fighting that as it is. I think X-10 is closed loop RF but aren't fully sure why they need to run the signal through the wiring. I suppose it extends range considerably though for a simple application you could eliminate half of the system and make it more reliable. Some of the current "Smart" features don't strike me as being very smart. As a side note I'm really starting to hate that tech label except hate doesn't come close to covering the true emotion. Man i must sound like an old curmudgeon that yells at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn. Next project is a rocking chair for my front porch :D.

3 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Twilight books? Really?

Bookshelves look great! Check behind your lightswitch, ours had an extra wire that I was able to add a double switch (in a single width box) to control fan speed and the light separately despite the electrician who installed it saying it couldn't be done.

Hey now i don't take kindly to that judgemental tone. Especially because they aren't my twilight books. That said i did make the mistake of reading the books before they were so taboo to read as a guy, this was also before the AWFUL movies came out.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@wdwerkerYeah we have a remote for the fan light but it's always at the wrong side of the room. My thought is to get 2 remotes and leave one by the light switch and one on the bed side table. In fact i might tape it to the bedside table and it's spot by the light switch so they don't get moved.

I just tried searching and I'm not sure why no one has developed a traditional toggle switch that looks like every other switch that  will wirelessly trigger an outlet or something. All of them are designed to look futuristic and always end up looking @$*@ tacky.

Insteon should have that. Smart switch + smart outlet. GE also has some Z-wave products I'm not as familiar with.

They have an outlet that is able to be triggered by a remote but the remote has 60 unnecessary buttons. I like the way Lutron does it and just has a single button for on and off and a dimmer. Problem is Lutron is absurdly expensive and buy the time i figure out what i need i could have pulled a permit ran the wires and had everything inspected.

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

Twilight books? Really?

Well I like the "Lord Of The Rings", I would have never admitted to reading the Twilight books though.

Great job with the bookshelves.

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

Very attractive set of shelves. What is that medium format camera you have between the 35mm cameras? Is it functional?

Hassie 501 c/m yes functional. I used to take more pictures then i do now but woodworking took over due to needing some furniture. Camera on the left is a Nikon FM3a.