Columbus thrift shops are great, but this find was extra special

collinb

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Wait a thrift shop? Aren't those donation based? Who'd give away a festool sander?

$100 Ain't a bad price. I saw one of the Pro 5 Ltd pop up on the recon site for $78 I was too slow though, good condition used market any of the 125 ETS sanders will fetch $125-$150.

$10.00

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Wait a thrift shop? Aren't those donation based? Who'd give away a festool sander

Maybe from an estate and nobody knew the brand. It's not like its B&D or Craftsman.

Columbus is a white collar city. As a result the thrift shops and garage sales, even trash picking, is really good.

I know, that sounds like I'm a bottom feeder. Well, I am to a degree. I'm from a small town and I find the waste in even median neighborhoods to be absurd. In my neighborhood I go around before work on trash day and get the good stuff to either donate to a thrift store to give to the Mexicans I work with. I also gotten a nice JVC Video Capsule, some Lenox china, and vintage 60s board games that were otherwise headed for the landfill.  I put myself through grad school/seminary on the thrift stores, auctions, & garage sales here.

9 hours ago, Mick S said:

$10.00

Ohh yeah .... oopps. Mr. Franklin is on the 100 isn't he then grant then some jerk that never believed in fiat money, ironic right?

7 minutes ago, collinb said:

Maybe from an estate and nobody knew the brand. It's not like its B&D or Craftsman.

Columbus is a white collar city. As a result the thrift shops and garage sales, even trash picking, is really good.

I know, that sounds like I'm a bottom feeder. Well, I am to a degree. I'm from a small town and I find the waste in even median neighborhoods to be absurd. In my neighborhood I go around before work on trash day and get the good stuff to either donate to a thrift store to give to the Mexicans I work with. I also gotten a nice JVC Video Capsule, some Lenox china, and vintage 60s board games that were otherwise headed for the landfill.  I put myself through grad school/seminary on the thrift stores, auctions, & garage sales here.

Yeah I've been guilty of that. There isn't enough time in a day for me to squeeze every $1 out of the stuff that i toss (I do donate anything that has use or value). Also i don't like clutter. My parents aren't hoarders but don't keep a clean place either so it's probably derived from being sick of that.Moving an average every 1.5 years changes your opinion of what has value fast as well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, collinb said:

Probably so. I bought a 24k gold Swiss watch from an estate sale for $4 while there was a cheap Casio or similar next to it for far more. It was a women’s watch so the writing was much smaller and harder to read, so they didn’t bother looking into it. 

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Ohh yeah .... oopps. Mr. Franklin is on the 100 isn't he then grant then some jerk that never believed in fiat money, ironic right?

Love to see Jackson gone.  Replace him with John Adams, or better Abigail Adams.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mark J said:

Love to see Jackson gone.  Replace him with John Adams, or better Abigail Adams.

He's not terrible but it doesn't make sense to "honor" a man on a bank note that worked actively to dismantle banks. As far as the Indians we were the conquering nation and culture back then was different than it was today so it's difficult to judge. It's not really fair to uphold a historic figure to today's standards. Some day all of us will probably be evil just because we drove cars that burned fosil fuels or something.