Designing a Chair then Building it

Bmac

Well, a week away, back in town now and had a few minutes in the shop last night. Here's what I found out about the build so far;

First the 5 degree angle between the seat and backrest was not comfortable to me, recut to 10 degrees using the same process of cutting along line on bandsaw and truing up with flushcut router bit. The 10 degree angle feels much better. This is the angle I was planning to use anyway but I wanted to see how a lesser angle felt. Always good to go through the process to learn.

Second, you'll see in the photos below after I tried on the backrest that the chair does not look balanced. The backrest looks too small and the seat and legs look to clunky. I was tempted to just scrap the backrest and make one bigger, but I'm going to try shaping the lower half first to see if I can build a more harmonious look.

Thirdly, I'm making a punch list as I go of little things to change, these may change as the shaping progresses, meaning I may add more or even take some off the list. I'm already beginning to change my mind about the 13 degree angle in the back of the chair. As I've shaped that area it's working out.

Finally, the chair is very comfortable, what I'm dealing with is mainly cosmetic stuff.

Here's some photos of chair with backrest, I think this looks out of balance to me;32649578_Ch1.JPG.781073f29e23253cac4e8b1a71d6c60d.JPG

830041881_Ch2.JPG.3c733c26b6458efafaf85e00f12c381b.JPG

Here's the new 10 degree angle cut into the back supports;

451170389_Ch3.JPG.a814763ebc6b292f8c5d25a805130b2b.JPG

Now this starts to get neat, I'm really shaping the legs aggressively and starting to round over edges on the seat and I'm starting to see some harmony build as I shape. What do you guys think? Does it seem a little better?

849815028_Ch4.JPG.336bfe18c1970874c308267773c668aa.JPG

760178815_Ch5.JPG.6d7b34c8a7aafd10aeed5093407c7f72.JPG

1912164517_Ch7.JPG.d74913adcdf066fb6fa146f6587a71de.JPG

722175016_Ch8.JPG.14afe19a5cbbe6c555697ebd7d0eed13.JPG

Shaping of the backrest, was worried I couldn't develop a nice curve here, but this is looking good;

1281520116_Ch6.JPG.dcce0412f823d3131bfdd00b3c910376.JPG

Ch 9.JPG

So I'm thinking I'll need a bigger backrest but I'll continue to shape the chair to see if I can build in the harmony I was looking for. Here's a look back at the original plan, I've got some shaping to do to accomplish this;

1387978582_ChairPlan2.JPG.02448e0227fd15db6ab0c05e2c7da93f.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac the chair looks great. But, the backrest looks alittle small for the chair to me. But, I’m not a woodworker!

I agree, I will likely be doing a new one after I finish shaping the legs and seat. 

Don't judge the appearance straight on while it's on the bench. Sit it on the floor. If someone is laying on the floor they either dropped something or drank too much. Sit the chair on the floor and back away to get the proper perspective. Looks good so far to me. Back doesn't look too small I think.

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Don't judge the appearance straight on while it's on the bench. Sit it on the floor. If someone is laying on the floor they either dropped something or drank too much. Sit the chair on the floor and back away to get the proper perspective. Looks good so far to me. Back doesn't look too small I think.

Thanks for your wisdom. You'll see in the photos below that it does take a different look from the angle you suggested.

17 hours ago, JohnG said:

I agree with wdwerker.

The shot straight on makes the back look a little small, but then some of the other angles make it look just right.

Agree also, it looks better from different angles.

So, taking the advice from above and doing a little more shaping here are some photos, I think it looks a lot better;

1783326781_ch10.JPG.4f2619fe275339c7d91eb74e3ff42bfd.JPG

1467946990_ch11.JPG.6178447b4002e6fa302b4e4b002a8454.JPG

1360550591_ch12.JPG.3ec2e8e96a2e97c321946a711ecfcc8c.JPG

Still have a lot of shaping to do so I expect it to look even better as I progress, if I use this backrest I should be putting the oil/poly mix on it by the end of the weekend.

• Like 1

Looking down on it the perspective is good. Straight on the back looks smallish. I sadly have no suggestions on what one could do with it, other than make a prototype, larger back and seeing what looks good. 

It might also depend on the look of what will surround the chair, its environment. That could change my mind. 

Either way, I admire your skill in putting something like this together. 

I agree with ok; I can’t finish anything in that amount of time!

the grain matching is beautiful, it’s something I like to do in my work when possible. 

The straight-on shots still make the back look — something about proportions — but all the other shots it looks good so it may just be the camera lens fooling my eye. I like the extra shaping on the back of the back, looks good. 

Overall a lovely piece and it certainly deserves a spot in your foyer. And it looks great with the table. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, JohnG said:

Can’t wait to see this come together! I was impressed by your previous chairs. 

I’d love to make a chair one day, but I already have a long list of projects and I’m pretty intimidated by the idea of making chairs. 

Me too...one day! Some beautiful work Brian. Chairs and ... those angles, they give me grief just thinking about them. One day though as John said, I might try one. If it's anywhere close to successful it might be the beginnings of a new lust! Scary...

These are stunning!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jeremy Gubbins said:

Me too...one day! Some beautiful work Brian. Chairs and ... those angles, they give me grief just thinking about them. One day though as John said, I might try one. If it's anywhere close to successful it might be the beginnings of a new lust! Scary...

These are stunning!

Jeremy, thanks for the kind words. I'm telling you what I'm sure you already have heard, chairs are addicting when you start building them. I also find that they are some of the most useful pieces of furniture to build. The angles on that chair were not too bad to deal with, not having lower cross supports below the seat helped with that. 

How did I lose track of this?  Thanks to Jeremy for replying to the thread and bringing it back on my radar.  The proportions really did work out.  I had some concerns about the joinery at the rear of the seat but, that looks just great.  People tagging along (me in this case) don't always have the benefit of our vision of where we are going :).  Great grouping with the table and the location at the stairs makes a perfect setting (no pun intended).

• Thanks 1

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47