Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

I found some place, a while back, that sells low sulfur rubber mats for gyms, but I can't find it in my favorites folders.  The ones with sulfur as the bonding agent are strongest, and waterproof-why they use it for tires, but there are several other varieties.  The smell does go away after a while, but is really strong when they're new.

So although I am making progress not much to show for it yet. I got the equipment rack alcove framed out still waiting on my IB-3 clips to attach it to the joists. The clips make it so there is no wood on wood touching that with the rubber under the base is part of the soundproofing effort in the theater. (still need to cut out the base plate on the wall)

IMG_3960.JPG.e5c3fed0c566c81a8f7011417c1dd04c.JPG

Next I finished the first inside wall...well at least I thought i did until I stood it up face palm! Anybody notice what I did? I was getting tired luckily due to the weight of the door the door frame is all screwed together so it will be a quick fix tomorrow :)

IMG_3964.JPG.c5802ec08b833ae0eb1ec4bd7d0a0def.JPG

Tomorrow I will fix the door frame, cut the rubber for under this wall, and do the next wall. Hopefully my clips arrive so I can install them permanently. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

That bottom plate doesn't look treated.

Nah I wasn't that tired LOL I installed the door header sideways ;)

IMG_3965.JPG.bfb9c52735db2845b60081b4d9d6633e.JPG

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You and @treeslayer are currently driving 12d - 16d nails, bet you’ll be glad when the trim stuff gets here. Looking great bud! 

I can't speak for treeslayer but for me you have no idea...I really miss the shop and am looking forward to my Morris chair build early next year. Having said that I'm frugal and just could not justify the kind of money they wanted to finish the basement. I will have about half of what I was quoted into it and that includes my theater furniture and equipment budget :o 

I'm also a little anal so although it won't be perfect it will be built the way I want it :) 

10 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nah I wasn't that tired LOL I installed the door header sideways ;)

I wouldn't even worry about that, it's not load bearing.

If you're interested in doing 2 doors back to back, I did that & it works very well. I can post a sketch of how I did it if you like.

Oh yeah i noticed the header was a bit thin looking but didn't think anything of it because it's not load bearing.... I don't even think you need to double up like you did to meet building code for the walls your making. It does give you more wood to nail trim into though.

The house i lived in used a single 2x4 mounted in that direction for the load bearing door openings. Thought those studs were 2" full by 4" full and clear for 10 feet. We don't get construction lumber like that any more.

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

I wouldn't even worry about that, it's not load bearing.

If you're interested in doing 2 doors back to back, I did that & it works very well. I can post a sketch of how I did it if you like.

Yeah but I will because it will bug the crap out of me LOL

Absolutely? DId you do a build thread over on AVSforum? If yes what was the name I'd love to chk it out.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Oh yeah i noticed the header was a bit thin looking but didn't think anything of it because it's not load bearing.... I don't even think you need to double up like you did to meet building code for the walls your making. It does give you more wood to nail trim into though.

The house i lived in used a single 2x4 mounted in that direction for the load bearing door openings. Thought those studs were 2" full by 4" full and clear for 10 feet. We don't get construction lumber like that any more.

No kidding on the lumber selection!!  It was pretty pathetic for sure.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Absolutely? DId you do a build thread over on AVSforum? If yes what was the name I'd love to chk it out.

No sadly, my HT room was all built before i decided it was going to be a HT so it has only moderate sound attenuating qualities. The double door thing was for my dust collector/compressor room for my shop. The room is in the basement & I didn't want any sound getting into the rest of the house.

• Like 1

Well still plugging away on the basement got the knee wall tore out and foil faced foam installed still need to put up vapor barrier on the top half.

IMG_3979.JPG.d9b705ea6f1327d3b8a8da57c9a3fb55.JPG

Also moved the septic alarm this will end up being mounted in a column in the theater that has acoustically transparent fabric on the front so you can hear it but not see it. I still have to remove two additional light circuit sections but they will be easy to pull out so leaving those for last since i'm using the lights. I think I am finally done tearing things out and rewiring circuits in the basement. Well except for some minor HVAC rework in the theater.

IMG_3980.JPG.e084ccef166760fc94b2fd676035b336.JPG

and finally got the window blinds on and foam installed I will also put a 1/2" plywood cap on the back

IMG_3978.JPG.ab89910ca85ffd7274ce587f295c563f.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG.6adf0627cccd0b71ef0a3beef1a61e81.JPG

Next up walls and wiring...

• Like 2

Not gonna lie this looks awesome. I can't help but thinking that it's a lot of trouble just to watch some movies... I don't even have surround sound hooked up.

No judgement, i can't throw stones i live in a glass house, i have more money invested in camera equipment than woodworking stuff and 99% of people think their cell phone is good enough.

Oh totally different backgrounds. I used to go to a lot of movies but there was a shift in the last 7 years where i just stopped paying attention and found i wasn't really missing anything. A big factor in that was i started reading a lot more and learned that most of my favorite movies were based on books and I found the books to be far more entertaining.

Looks like your getting close to hanging rock. let me know when you'd like to borrow that screw gun.

• Like 1

So the plan is to get all the decoupled walls up this weekend and then start wiring the theater. Between audio/video/communication/LV lighting/ and regular lighting and power circuits I have about 1500' of wire to pull in this room :o 

RCA cables for subs and projector HDMI arrived today so that should be everything I need...I think LOL

IMG_3981.JPG.ae5893a27a97c8d6b4a23ad63fa630ac.JPG

6 hours ago, drzaius said:

My 18" sub driver arrives next week so I can finally get that project wrapped up. Your build is making me want to redo my entire room, but I'm afraid that wouldn't fly.

:o Wow that should sound amazing!!

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I really want to up the power to the stereo in my shop. The larger space compared to my older space leaves me maxing out the amp quite frequently. Are there 2 channel systems that don't break the bank that will push 150 watts RMS per channel 4 ohms stable?

huh??? LOL sorry that ones over my head but I did just get a nice Festool radio in the mail today to use while working in the basement since my Milwaukee crapped out last week and the Makita one was more expensive and bigger. It sounds pretty good and syncs to my iphone so that is nice. Cheapest Festool item I've ever bought that wasn't a consumable LOL

IMG_3982.JPG.00cf88d467ea4c6016adfda5a2fd9dc6.JPG

In my shop I have in ceiling speakers with a selector switch so that I can have music in the main area (4), spray room (1), wood area (1), or upstairs (1) or all at the same time but its been in there fro over a decade so not sure what brand the receiver is but it sounds good. Having said that I typically have the TV on in the shop :) 

20 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I really want to up the power to the stereo in my shop. The larger space compared to my older space leaves me maxing out the amp quite frequently. Are there 2 channel systems that don't break the bank that will push 150 watts RMS per channel 4 ohms stable?

Check out Parts Express. Lots of inexpensive class D amps to be had there. Class D amps have really improved & can be very good. Super efficient too.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, yesterday I happened to find the Rockwool Comfort Batt R15 at my local Lowes for $47.00 ea.  I loaded up because I have the inspector coming in 2 weeks before I drywall.  They're carrying several different kinds and they've invested a lot of shelf space.  Way to go Lowes, giving your customers what they want. 

17 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

In case anyone is interested, yesterday I happened to find the Rockwool Comfort Batt R15 at my local Lowes for $47.00 ea.  I loaded up because I have the inspector coming in 2 weeks before I drywall.  They're carrying several different kinds and they've invested a lot of shelf space.  Way to go Lowes, giving your customers what they want. 

Thanks that's good to know!