Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

17 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Go rent a drywall lift for the ceiling. You'll thank me later.

Absolutely i have been using one all along but even to get the sheets of this size on the lift is to much...at least for me :) 

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've found it's cheaper to buy a drywall lift and sell it after the fact then it is to rent. They rent at $90 a week and you can buy it new for $160. Or try and find someone that realized that and is selling one.

My son in law had one so I have been using it :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Absolutely i have been using one all along but even to get the sheets of this size on the lift is to much...at least for me :) 

My son in law had one so I have been using it :) 

How tall does his extend and would he be willing to rent it our for a small fee something like $40? I don't want to drywall my garage but i don't know that I'll have a choice.

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

How tall does his extend and would he be willing to rent it our for a small fee something like $40? I don't want to drywall my garage but i don't know that I'll have a choice.

I'm sure he would just need to see if it will go high enough I know it goes to 9" (that's what the basement ceiling is) but not sure of the max. I'll ask him Friday and let you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Tell me about it. Just out of high school I had a job carrying drywall. I had to work with these apes that figured that carrying double 14' sheets of 5/8" drywall were the way to break in noobs like myself. Hanging on to the back end of that you have no choice but to keep up.  Now a single 8' sheet is about my limit.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Tell me about it. Just out of high school I had a job carrying drywall. I had to work with these apes that figured that carrying double 14' sheets of 5/8" drywall were the way to break in noobs like myself. Hanging on to the back end of that you have no choice but to keep up.  Now a single 8' sheet is about my limit.

:o yeah not even on my best day LOL. Of course I was pretty much a wimp in high school I was 5'3" and 95 lbs when I graduated :) I'm taller now 6'1" but probably not much stronger ^_^

The one I have that someone gave me has the extension.   I've never had the extension on it, but just looking at it, I decided I didn't want to be standing under a full sheet of sheetrock held up by it.

edited to add:   I just did some googling, and see that there are 1200 dollar lifts, and 169 dollar lifts.  The high end ones look pretty good, but I've never seen one in person.  I'd rather plaster a ceiling, than tape, and finish a sheetrock one.

I'm using the UltraLight drywall at Home Depot.  The 12 footers are about 55 lbs, much lighter than the regular stuff.  What concerned me most before starting was how high I had to lift a sheet to get it onto the lift.  The trick is once you lift the sheet, tilt the top of the sheet onto your shoulder/head.  Just let it gently fall back onto your shoulder/head.  This puts the weight over your entire body instead of just your hands and it automatically tilts the bottom of the sheet higher so you can get it onto the lift.  

Here's what it looks like.  Go to the 10 minute mark.  It's very subtle but he's actually resting the top of the sheet on his shoulder as he's carrying it to the lift.  This not only makes it lighter but it tilts the bottom of the board higher so you can get it on the lift:

5 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

I'm using the UltraLight drywall at Home Depot.  The 12 footers are about 55 lbs, much lighter than the regular stuff.  What concerned me most before starting was how high I had to lift a sheet to get it onto the lift.  The trick is once you lift the sheet, tilt the top of the sheet onto your shoulder/head.  Just let it gently fall back onto your shoulder/head.  This puts the weight over your entire body instead of just your hands and it automatically tilts the bottom of the sheet higher so you can get it onto the lift.  

Here's what it looks like.  Go to the 10 minute mark.  It's very subtle but he's actually resting the top of the sheet on his shoulder as he's carrying it to the lift.  This not only makes it lighter but it tilts the bottom of the board higher so you can get it on the lift:

Thanks for the share! Yeah I did the light weight in the rest of the basement and was able to load even the 1/2"x 54" x 12' sheets but in the theater you want mass to help with the soundproofing and the 5/8"x 4' x 12' sheets are a whooping 106 lbs. Great for soundproofing not so great for my back LOL. 

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks for the share! Yeah I did the light weight in the rest of the basement and was able to load even the 1/2"x 54" x 12' sheets but in the theater you want mass to help with the soundproofing and the 5/8"x 4' x 12' sheets are a whooping 106 lbs. Great for soundproofing not so great for my back LOL. 

Yes, mass is your friend in a home theater. The problem I have with the ultralight is that it is not as tough as the standard stuff. Rowdy kids (of all ages) will punch holes in it in no time.

21 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Yes, mass is your friend in a home theater. The problem I have with the ultralight is that it is not as tough as the standard stuff. Rowdy kids (of all ages) will punch holes in it in no time.

Yeah you can definitely tell the difference! Honestly other than 5/8" its hard to find drywall that's not lightweight I imagine you can special order it though.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:24 AM, Chestnut said:

FYI I checked and his lift goes to 11' to go higher you are up into the bigger dollar lift range it appears. 

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

FYI I checked and his lift goes to 11' to go higher you are up into the bigger dollar lift range it appears. 

I need to double check my ceiling height i think an 11 footer will work i had some 12 foot bards in there when stood on end were will into the rafters.

I hate 12 foot baords....

The other thing that tall ceilings makes difficult is finishing work.

The drywall is done, well almost still have soffits in the theater but that will be a piece of cake compared to all of this.

Started the second layer of drywall 

P97.JPG.93b744aab58ff2be0b6ddfd41fabff73.JPG

the second layer of 5/8" rock gets a layer of Green Glue soundproofing compound before going up

P98.JPG.e3715a5f24cd769b682906efbdb742a8.JPG

All I have to say is this stuff is sticky and I really hope it works LOL. That's a wrap

P99.JPG.690683de0d41c02f76b9bb454f183a02.JPG

Theater rock is complete except soffits which will be added later

P100.JPG.4697cf1b34d8c6ea6540495dccce79a0.JPG

P101.JPG.6f8525bd3a93ccb226cf4bde5cd26ee7.JPG

Here is a close up of the soundproofing. 2x6" outer wall with 5/8" drywall, decoupled 2x4" wall (1" air gap between walls) with two layers of 5/8" rock with Green Glue between them

P102.JPG.e496c0bcf9d0c4740e7cbba0c3108181.JPG

I'll have to get creative when I make the door and trim for this.

P103.JPG.7e30f55831e8c94937af1006c3d2d5e8.JPG

Taper started today!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chet said:

I would guess that things will start to go a little faster now... Maybe?

It should! I need to finish the exercise room first but that's just paint, drop ceiling, rubber floor tiles and trim so it should go quick.. I am going with the same ones we used in our shops, I think they will work well. Getting that done will allow me to get the equipment out of my wood storage location in the shop. 

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Man you could throw baseballs against those walls and i'd bet they'd be fine. So is it shop time now to make a vanity?

:) 

This weekend is clean the garage and shop, get the cars out of storage and washed, then hopefully kick back on Sunday.  Taper thinks he'll be done Wednesday so hopefully I can get the room painted next weekend, then I can do the ceiling and floor during the week. Then to the shop for cabinets :) 

Pretty amazing when you have some "been there done that" under your belt.  I have done a fair amount of taping and mudding around the house but I would have been weeks just doing all the inside corners you have, even using the corner tools. ;)

• Like 1