Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

The two main bars have offset lugs, from each other, that the breakers make contact with.  Each bar carries 120 volts in different phase from the other bar.   A single pole breaker contacts only one of the lugs, regardless of where it's snapped in,  to access, and provide, the 120 volts.

A 240 volt double breaker contacts both of the bars by way of the offset lugs, thereby accessing, and providing 240 volts.

Separate bars for ground, and neutral are needed in case the panel is used for a sub-panel, where the ground, and neutral wires are to be separated.  In a sub-panel, the neutral bar is not bonded to the metal panel.  There is a bonding screw that can either be used, or left out to bond (ground) the bars to the metal box.

For a sub-panel, the only time neutrals are supposed to meet ground is at the point of the main panel.  It's only in the main (first) panel that it's okay to have them on the same bar, but I always separate them anyway. 

Pedantic me is going to comment here. In a single phase 120/240V service, the 2 'hot' conductors are the same phase, but are 180* out of phase with each other. That is the case with almost all single family dwelling. With larger multi-family developments, it's common to bring in a 120/208V 3 phase service & then feed 120/208V to each suite panel with 2 phases & a neutral. The panel itself is manufactured as a single phase panel, but there are actually 2 phases.

As far as having the ground & neutral connected, it is required by code for them to be bonded in the service entrance (main breaker) compartment of the main panel. After that, the 2 must never touch. This may vary in some jurisdictions, but in recent years codes have been paying much more attention to this.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow three weeks since my last post...lots going on but not much to show i guess :) 

Primarily more wiring; cable coax, speaker, fan, cat 6, etc but I did get out to the shop to make some speaker boxes for the LCR front speakers as well as the front sub RCA locations. I also made an airbox as part of the return dead vent that will pull air from behind the AV rack.

First up the speaker boxes for the front wall. They probably look big but I needed 1.5 cu ft per speaker and since I could only get 3" deep they ended up being big.

P49.JPG.849c5d9ae6a31f61a7021ade518ff6ee.JPG

glue up

P50.JPG.8b0a936469f95aef456ec721a196322e.JPG

They are made from 3/4 MDF with 1/4" layer of cement board for mass. I will use acoustic sealant on all the seems prior to drywall going up. They will also be filled with poli fill prior to speaker installation.

P51.JPG.83fa7fe42c63f5e71813ba16d8adeab5.JPG

Next I worked on the return box for the back of the av rack

P52.JPG.19e18b542f3200b6011200711ae7732f.JPG

P53.JPG.15aee71995d10d57b355a8bbf0b07006.JPG

P54.JPG.9e57a46b3553d3d6d9eb0a023a91523a.JPG

lined with Linacoustic RF for help sound proofing

P55.JPG.8d6dc840e9169e79dd045ab0eafc042d.JPG

Here is a shot from inside the AV alcove. you can also see I have run the conduits from the soffit to the alcove. Three conduits in total one to the projector (left) and two (right) for speaker wires.

P56.JPG.17f14bf698ad4059729e041f746f424d.JPG

Next I worked on the dead vent. I have a 6" flex pipe coming in from the back wall soffit and a 4" coming from the top of the AV alcove box into a 8x6x4 wye. In the first pic you can see the bracket I made to hold the wye on the right.

P57.JPG.0134cc15bedd1126e24f27fe232e3da8.JPG 

here it is put together but not tied down yet

P58.JPG.aa6b106d595233c521975f6a7568ea2c.JPG

Here is some shots of the hallway vent. The 10x14 opening on the front will have a vent for fan access.

P59.JPG.b9cea1b3ad9ac519661fdd4ffe260bd0.JPG

P60.JPG.af93ed83434bf5904af247fe6b98ba8c.JPG

...and everything buttoned up tested and ready for the final piece of insulation and drywall. You can see in the top left of this pick where I had to get creative with the drywall since the Menard's 2x4's warped almost a half  inch. You can also see the red putty pads covering the outlet boxes these are for soundproofing.

P61.JPG.0a31aea9d36feb1b4ef38e2c75ea11b2.JPG

Here is a shot of one of the sub RCA jack backer boxes. This one actually may not be used but wanted one in each corner just in case. I will sheet rock over it and if I ever want to use it I will cut out and pull the wire out.

P62.JPG.238b63db263e0b3c3f77239d175b91e1.JPG

Here you can see the Directv coax, Cat 6, and fan cables have been run into the AV alcove.

P63.JPG.51c6efcba09f98ecc2f9f55967ae459c.JPG

and finally a pic of the front wall ready for insulation (soundproofing.) The wires hanging at the top of the wall as well as the HVAC flex pipes will be run inside of the soffits.

P64.JPG.a6b4986b9568da92a96ec36a67741ba7.JPG

Next up finish insulation install, clips and resilient channel on the ceiling, then a layer of 5/8 OSB on the ceiling prior to drywall.

• 2 months later...

In terms of trying to eliminate butt joints when planning your drywall install, putting a tapered joint along a non-tapered joint is still a butt joint.  I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere, not in any article on my FHB magazine archive CD or any online forum where it's difficult determining one's expertise: everyone wants to be a expert.  

Something else I didn't know or read was how cuts for the ceiling are mirrored when using a drywall lift.  

Isn't it fun routing out the HVAC registers and receptacles?  I don't envy those who do this for a living but they sure make it look easy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sjeff70 said:

... I don't envy those who do this for a living but they sure make it look easy.  

I'll be honest I had no intention of hanging the drywall but I couldn't get anyone to even call me back so just got to the point where I had to move on but truth be told I'm to old for this sh%# and at 55 i'm not that old LOL

• Haha 1

When I was building new houses, butt joints were planned during the framing.  Anywhere one went, there were glued double studs run down 3/32" on the jointer.  That way, the butt joint was recessed when the sheetrock was hung, and a long, aluminum straightedge used to tool the first couple of layers of mud over the butt joint.  Otherwise, there is no possible way to not have a hump over a butt joint.

When mudding a wall, after the first coat, i clamped a light onto the hawk, and the light was shined directly against, and across the wall.  I believe I have a thread on it somewhere on these forums.  After making sure the first coat had no high spots, that coat is primed, and then other coats of mud go on top of the primer.  Don't use PVA primer.  It doesn't sand well.

• Like 1

lol yea I'm 49.  I'm hiring out the mud and taping but when I was shopping around I couldn't find anyone to call me back either.  Either no call backs or they were out of business.  Weird.  I finally did find someone who could mud and tape but they are 6-8 weeks out.  

I checked into some of the gimmicks where you end a sheet between studs.  I like your solution Tom, if I ever do this again (NOT!) I'll go this route.

• Like 1

Got some more work done this weekend all the soundproofing insulation is up

P82.JPG.fe273c9bff63819392be93304a9287f3.JPG

P83.JPG.ba0ca55c94f2e320469b869b4994044f.JPG

P84.JPG.36642b28c1a867b69104c4f17ed71f46.JPG

After marking out everything and taking pics in case i need to find things later I started on the first layer of 5/8" drywall on the wallsP86.JPG.3cd21a097c9a47cb80709e8ae8626765.JPG

I need to move the wiring for the septic alarm so I will do that and rock that section all at the same time later this week.

P85.JPG.3eb5a1b72931d1b3720053d7e863ecf1.JPG

In the mean time I moved on to the screen wall. Due to all the speaker backer boxes the first layer of drywall did not all land on a 2x4's so I used 1x4 backer boards where the sheets met. Probably overkill but for a few bucks I thought it was worth it. The second layer seams will all land on 2x4's.

P87.JPG.68703170330131113c350b2f5b1579de.JPG

I also ran a bead of sound proofing sealant on the front of each backer box to seal them to the drywall

P88.JPG.809c860c2964af3435ccea8b2309c3c2.JPG

Got the first corner knocked out before I had to stop for the day. Up next more drywall :) 

P89.JPG.e7e2789be91c518d5fc0da4a2969ea37.JPG

On 4/2/2019 at 3:28 PM, Tom King said:

Once you are sure the first coat of mud has absolutely nowhere that is above the plane of the finished surface you want, I prime the whole wall.  It protects the paper from getting fuzzed up if any sanding needs to be done anywhere, but much more.  First coat of mud is just sponged, with typically no sanding.  It's only important that nowhere is too high.  It doesn't matter otherwise how rough it looks.

The gypsum sheetrock compound swells any time it gets wet.  This means when you put the second coat of mud on, the first coat will swell again.  Only having the second coat to blade down, or sand, or however you lower it, because the first coat is now sealed under primer, leaves only a thin layer of mud to have to deal with, so it dries much quicker, and measured shrinking is less than if you had built up multiple coats on top of each other.

I prime, and paint walls with an airless sprayer.  Once it's in the room after the primer coat, a layer of Saran wrap gets put over the top of primer, or paint in the bucket that the pickup is in, and the gun just gets dropped in a bucket of water until the next day you want to spray.  The tip guard, and tip get taken off, and cleaned, but that's all.  Any time you want to spray something, the gun is pulled out of the bucket of water, wiped off, tip guard put back on, and away you go.

There may be touch-up spots to hit after you think you might be through, that get shown up by shining a light directly across the wall.  Once those get the final mud and sanding, this is often the only sanding I'll do.  They are sprayed with primer, the pickup is pulled out of the primer bucket, wiped off with a throwaway t-shirt, and pickup stuck in the bucket of paint.  Any primer left in the hose will get sprayed on the wall during the first part of the first coat of paint, but it doesn't matter a bit.  Later coats will cover it, and you only have to rinse out the airless system once for the whole job.  Since there is no air in the system, nothing will set up unless exposed to air.

The primer makes it all go so much easier.  Once mud is under cured primer, it won't swell again, and leaves you only very thin layers of dried mud to deal with.  The thinner you can knife it on, the less there is to shrink, so your bladeing progressively gets you to the finished plane, with little sanding to do.

Since I do everything, I'm both the finisher, and painter.  Typically, in house building one trade will follow another, so what one does, or doesn't do, eliminates combinations like this.  I've been doing sheetrock finishing like this since the mid 1980's, at least, never had a callback, and what walls I've seen that I built 30 years ago still look good.  I came up with my own methods for almost anything.  Hanging sheetrock followed my framing, which allowed for the sheetrock, and so on from the ground to the top of the roof.  As an example, if the tile to sheetrock joint is noticeable, tile guy will blame the sheetrock guy, and sheetrock guy will blame the tile guy.  

Tom what is your go to primer brand? I will be using a Graco airless sprayer.

Anything but PVA.  Do not use PVA.   My go to is Zinsser Bullseye, but it does smell strong-even the water based.  It gives a nice hard surface that takes to sanding nicely.  PVA does not.

My favorite is Sherwin-Williams Wall and Wood, but it's expensive.  Bullseye does fine.

• Like 1