Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

All I can say is WOW what a great space, perfectly executed from start to finish, and so many great finishing touches. I’ve learned a lot following along as I’m sure others have too, thanks for the great ride Paul

I can’t say that I can add to that. Very well done! Have “Grand Opening” invites been mailed yet? 

• Thanks 1

This has been one of, if not the most interesting projects I've seen on this forum. I would have to be a much younger man to even think of undertaking it. Beautiful job start to finish! And perfectly timed since all the cinemas are mothballed for now. 

I think the premier should be the new Bond flick, appropriately named No Time To Die. I believe it's due in (other, lesser) theaters now in April.

I'll DM you my address for the invitation. 

• Like 2

Well this has been a heck of a journey to follow.  I hope you get years of enjoyment out of your labors.  I have a new appreciation of the term "Home Theater".

I bet you are looking forward to some woodworking projects that aren't connected to the basement though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coop said:

Have you givin any thought as to how much you have saved by doing this yourself, your time and love of the project excluded? 

I learned early on in my married life that if I could show my wife how much I could save by doing it myself I would get much less pushback on tool purchases, think PantoRouter :D. To do this I get actual quotes from contractors in this case two. The first one came in at $68K, the second $73K. We spent $51K which was $1000 over budget but that includes the cost of the theater seats, theater equipment, all home automation, in ceiling speakers, blinds, etc which was nearly $25K. So while it took 6 times as long as they would have, the savings, knowing it was done to my quality standard, and the pride I have in the end product made it well worth it both financially and personally. Having said that I am ready to get my shop back and start making furniture again :)

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Well this has been a heck of a journey to follow.  I hope you get years of enjoyment out of your labors.  I have a new appreciation of the term "Home Theater".

I bet you are looking forward to some woodworking projects that aren't connected to the basement though.

Thanks!

You have no idea :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I learned early on in my married life that if I could show my wife how much I could save by doing it myself I would get much less pushback on tool purchases, think PantoRouter :D. To do this I get actual quotes from contractors in this case two.

Ah so I need to get quotes from contractors to do that...

My wife doesn't care anymore. She knows how much we've saved so she's usually fine with any new tools. It helps that around here guys want $400 to paint a room. 

• Like 1

Hey @pkinneb, The other night I watched a couple of trailers that just cry out to be played at volume.

The new Top Gun trailer is full of flight sequences that are kinda terrifying. All of them were shot with the actors in the back seat of F18 trainers, so the funny faces they pull are the real deal. I don't expect a very good story, character development, or  dialog. But hey, we know who the real stars of this show are & they will be great.

The other is the new Dune. I'm a big fan of the original David Lynch movie & I read all the Dune books (5, I think, though they could easily have been condensed into about 2). This looks like it will be very good, more faithful to the Frank Herbert books. The trailer has a very unique cover of Eclipse by Pink Floyd in it that is mesmerizing.

We watched both trailers at reference volume & I felt physically exhausted in the best way after. I don't think I'd want to watch the whole movie that loud though.

Check 'em out & enjoy.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2023 at 2:02 PM, JohnG said:

@pkinneb it’s been a while now. Are you happy with your setup? Any subsequent changes or wishes? Was just remembering this journal, still with jealousy and envy.

Any recent favorite movies to watch there?

BTW re recent favorite moves these would be a couple - Unhinged, Topgun Maverick, Hotel Mumbai