Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

52 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Oh and I almost forgot I painted the dead vent grates so they don't stand out so much. Took longer to clean the gun then to actually do it not sure why I waited a year ;)

You know you can flip those and only see louvers? Your choice, but as a builder I would flip those in a client home. 

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Dang it i have some I'd totally have helped you out... oh well. If you do get in a pinch just let me know. I work in Anoka so we could meet some where in between if you'd like.

Found out I can use acetone which I have but thanks for the offer!  I was kinda bummed I didn't get them done last weekend I certainly didn't want to wait past this weekend. Good to go now :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomy josif said:

they look great. is it hard wearing?

Better then I expected obviously not like granite etc but at 10% of the cost I can live with that. I did a test piece several months ago and its been sitting in the shop and I have sporadically tried to scratch, beat, mar, etc its actually pretty impressive how hard you have to try before you will damage it. After all that I would say again its not like granite, quartz, etc but its probably tougher than Formica. The one thing you have to be careful of is setting things on it for long periods in direct sun light. I did notice some slight marks from the test I ran where I left a serving tray with two cases (8 boxes) of 12 ga shells on it, in direct sunlight, for 6 weeks. FWIW that test piece only had the base coat not the clear coat on top which would allow you to fix damage if needed. I suspect in my use there may be some issues under the popper but i'm not to worried about it. All in I have about $420 into these so I'm not out that much if I need to switch them to granite or similar in the future.

4 hours ago, legenddc said:

Let us know how it feels once it's complete. My friend did one of those counter top paint coverup things and it looked good but felt awful. If this works I may have to use it for a few projects.

Many of the epoxy vendors sell a satin finish that is much more difficult to mar but does have the rougher texture you are talking about, these will be clear, smooth, and buffed out, they feel just like glass. In this environment they should hold up fine in everyday kitchen use not so sure.

• Like 2

I think this looks awesome. I really want to try this so some day i may pester you about this. Some time in the near future I want to remodel our laundry room mostly to install a utility sink. Washing brushes and stuff in the kitchen sink has not been ideal. Do you think that this counter top would work Ok with a sink installed into it? IIRC you are going to have a bar sink are you not?

On 7/22/2020 at 5:57 PM, pkinneb said:

All in I have about $420 into these so I'm not out that much if I need to switch them to granite or similar in the future.

Does this include the "extra" you bought? Or did it turn out that you bought the right amount?

• Like 1

Today I started on six acoustic picture frames for the exercise room. These will help with the echo in the room since there is no carpet/pad in there. I had pictures from a couple of climbs I did printed on cloth and then knocked out some quick frames using the Kreg jig :ph34r:.

IMG_6494.JPG.4f89941ff707f312c97c2d5f604b7b29.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG.60b64c0b04ebe6e51d33ce399c273222.JPG

Not sure where I saw these I think it was FWW but man I love these little flip stops, they came in handy today.

IMG_6492.JPG.a71d7bef93d8c9e10ca045ff0c9b7df3.JPG

IMG_6493.JPG.dad416df6df61c7dfa4f14a21eb8af08.JPG

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jonathan McCully said:

What climbs have you done @pkinneb? I did Rainier back in 2013. Haven’t done any big ones since (little kids, too busy) but would love to do more

Rainier, Kilimanjaro, three attempts on Denali made it to high camp but thwarted by weather all three attempts. I’ve also climbed 28 CO 14ers, and 42 state high points. Last big climb was in 2015 now pretty much 14ers and high points.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chet said:

I did Mt Whitney (highest in lower 48) and Half Dome in Yosemite a couple of times. I just did Mt Lassen for the second time last week, its only 10,467 but at 68 yrs of age I am starting to think those days are behind me. 

That’s awesome!! Lol I was thinking that when I hit my early fifties so your way ahead me Chet!

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Rainier, Kilimanjaro, three attempts on Denali made it to high camp but thwarted by weather all three attempts. I’ve also climbed 28 CO 14ers, and 42 state high points. Last big climb was in 2015 now pretty much 14ers and high points.

42 high points!  Mt Washington (New Hampshire?)  Borah?

[edit: McKinley and Kilimanjaro are on the admired list that I'll never do; I'd be interested to hear your Kilimanjaro story - I hear that the glaciers/permanent snowfields are pretty well gone.

12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Would love to take my wife and do Kilimanjaro followed by a safari. Thought about it many times, now that I’m done having babies, maybe we can make it happen.

I have a question for any experienced tile folks. My original plan was just to thin set right over the bar top brackets now I'm thinking maybe adding another 1/4" layer of either cement board or drywall might be a better route. What do you guys think? Its just the approx 6" between the bar top and the sink counter.

IMG_6490.JPG.709da54bb1aead33bca87a2a3f88532f.JPG