Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

This whole setup is damn nice. I know better than to ask, but I guess the red line to the dart board is LED? On a lighter note, maybe not so much but, will you be able to open this area before your governor approves it? ;). Great job bud! 

26 minutes ago, Coop said:

This whole setup is damn nice. I know better than to ask, but I guess the red line to the dart board is LED? On a lighter note, maybe not so much but, will you be able to open this area before your governor approves it? ;). Great job bud! 

Thanks Coop! Yep laser line. Not yet but getting closer I think we can do groups of 10 or less after 6/1 :) 

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

... if wearing masks is having any law enforcement implications.  

Ha! Before COVID-19, local convenience stores all required customers to remove hoods and sunglasses. Now they all want you to wear a mask and stand so far from the counter you have to toss cash to pay for stuff!

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

Hey @pkinneb, ask your daughter if wearing masks is having any law enforcement implications.  I bet it does.

That and the 6' separation rule has cut down on their undercover work for sure, although she is still doing a fair amount of surveillance work and had a pretty good sized drug bust that made the Chicago papers a couple weeks back :)  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

Cabinets are looking sweet! 

Did you get the clamps off of Amazon. 

@treeslayer, can you order these straight from Dubuque Clamp Co.? 

Sounds like a great Father’s Day gift. 

I don’t think you can Coop but I’ll check Monday with Edna, she’s the brains of the outfit

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coop said:

Cabinets are looking sweet! 

Did you get the clamps off of Amazon. 

@treeslayer, can you order these straight from Dubuque Clamp Co.? 

Sounds like a great Father’s Day gift. 

Thanks! I got the first order off of Tools for Woodworking, I just ordered some more off of Woodpeckers they are having a sale :) 

• Like 1

Hey folks I was pondering bar counters this evening and I am trying to decide if I need support between the two coolers. The counter would be about 50" wide and supported on both sides and the back and will be 1-1/4" thick MDF. I'm tight on space but could do a 3/4" or 1" thick 24" deep 36" high support if needed. I'm thinking I do but I have a tendency to over engineer what would you do? Also hung the tv and  neon sign so I could use the  cardboard boxes they came in for templates.

IMG_6256.JPG.edb545fa9b04a5de6f5c89337c2c534c.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG.d52706a0aa5ab9aa5d13eceeee359d9b.JPG

• Like 2

Thank guys!

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Sounds like a perfect time to visit the Sagulator.

Perfect thanks!! I had never used that before. Looks like I should be good without a center support even at double my projected weight.

13 hours ago, Coop said:

I’ll leave the answer to you and @wtnhighlander‘s link. I bet it’s in here somewhere but are you doing your own taping and floating of the Sheetrock? 

I hired out three things; taping the sheet rock, rough in plumbing, and carpet install. Taping and carpet are skills i don't have nor do I do enough of it to develop. Plumbing well I hate pluming and I had a vent issue I was concerned with that had to pass code so I hired that out as well.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Are you having a company install the countertops or are they something you are making? Punch line ask the professional they generally know and helped me out when I did my cabinets in my last house. It depends on the material you are using.

I am making the counter tops with MDF cores and epoxy coating (stonecoatcontertops.com) for the tops.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I am making the counter tops with MDF cores and epoxy coating (stonecoatcontertops.com) for the tops.

I'm hoping that you go over that in detail that sounds super interesting.

Is this epoxy different than the bartop stuff sold in box stores? I've seen many tables done with that stuff that look hazy from scratches after a few years.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I'm hoping that you go over that in detail that sounds super interesting.

Is this epoxy different than the bartop stuff sold in box stores? I've seen many tables done with that stuff that look hazy from scratches after a few years.

Will do. Here is a sample board I made a few months back, the other day I was  purposely scratching it up with a key and while, if pressed really hard, I could get it to scratch it was not easy and most could be buffed out with a microfiber cloth.

P307.JPG.26e19a99ac513e89861ef5faa4626f4b.JPG

On the real counters I will be going with a white marble, black streaks look the difference is when you do the actual counter you do two pours one for the color like above and a second clear top coat so that if needed it can be repaired with out getting into the color. I bought the product during a sale so all in for all three counters i will be at about $400.

• Like 2