Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

Looks to me like you did about as good as anyone could have done.

Finishing up all the little stuff always burns more time than anyone would think it should.  That's why I never put a price on a house until I was completely finished with it, all the tools were moved out, and everything cleaned up.  Most of the time, it sold on the first weekend.  I never kept one longer than two weeks once I put a price on it, and never used a realtor, or advertised more than having a small sign at the road all along.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

Looks to me like you did about as good as anyone could have done.

Finishing up all the little stuff always burns more time than anyone would think it should.  That's why I never put a price on a house until I was completely finished with it, all the tools were moved out, and everything cleaned up.  Most of the time, it sold on the first weekend.  I never kept one longer than two weeks once I put a price on it, and never used a realtor, or advertised more than having a small sign at the road all along.

Thanks Tom! 

My wife asked why it takes me so long to do the trim. I said go upstairs and look at the trim in the main floor half bath then come back down and look at this trim. She comes back down and says I never really paid attention to it before but was the person blind :) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks Tom! 

My wife asked why it takes me so long to do the trim. I said go upstairs and look at the trim in the main floor half bath then come back down and look at this trim. She comes back down and says I never really paid attention to it before but was the person blind :) 

so you have to put the basement on hold to redo the trim in the main floor half bath?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SimonR said:

so you have to put the basement on hold to redo the trim in the main floor half bath?

LOL I probably should its pretty pathetic, see below this is the worst corner but com'n...when in doubt fill those 1/4" gaps with putty ;)

The fact that they filled lets you know about all you need to :)

IMG_6304.JPG.1576d10ca4b4086ea9ee355dbbd9bd93.JPG

• Thanks 1

I often get friends to ask me about trim work and my opinion on it. I almost always tell them a good trim carpenter is worth every penny. Followed by if your trim looked good before try really hard to salvage and reuse it.

Trim carpentry isn't really difficult but it's tedious and requires a high attention to detail. Not everone is capable of that. Your basement is looking awesome keep that detail level up!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chet said:

What type of flooring are you using in the bath and behind the bar?

In looking for your bar top did you happen to look at this company https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com

I have been thinking about using their concrete system in my kitchen counters.

Pergo Outlast + Waterproof for both.

Going with epoxy from stonecoatcountertops.com

13 hours ago, Chet said:

I like your inner most curve, it seems to follow the whole curve nicely.  #3 not at all.

I'm with you Chet my wife likes #3 but since I'm making it LOL

11 hours ago, Coop said:

As always, it looks like you have your act together and well planed. For the upper counter, are the brackets/supports an over the counter item or did you have them custom made?

Over the counter. They are really beefy 1/2" thick, screwed from two sides, and probably over kill as they are made for granite. Better to be safe then sorry and definitely rock solid no pun intended :)

https://www.countertopbracket.com/Granite-Bracket-Forward-L-p/flb.htm

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like #2 as it allows that portion to maybe hold a deck of cards and a drink but accomplishes about the same design aspect as #1.

Hmm food for thought...

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

The counters are all ready for epoxy but I'm held up trying to locate a $3 bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol apparently a victim of Covid19...My wife found a bottle of 70% so I will check with stone coat counter tops tomorrow to see if that will work. 

Dang it i have some I'd totally have helped you out... oh well. If you do get in a pinch just let me know. I work in Anoka so we could meet some where in between if you'd like.

16 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Dang it i have some I'd totally have helped you out... oh well. If you do get in a pinch just let me know. I work in Anoka so we could meet some where in between if you'd like.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted and may take you up on that.