Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

I like that vanity a lot. How tall are you shooting for? Vessel sinks imo are a good idea to provide some counter space but keep things smaller. Megan hates them for what ever reason. My only gripe with bathroom sinks is to get the faucet tall enough and far enough away from the back of the sink. I always feel like my hands are up against the back of the sink and hitting the bottom while washing.

Are router lifts worth it? I'm just using a collar that came with my router and i like it and it works I just wonder if I'm missing out. I tend to remove the router from the lift often so the one thing that's held me back is how easy it is to remove the router currently. I do all my bit changes with the router removed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I like that vanity a lot. How tall are you shooting for? Vessel sinks imo are a good idea to provide some counter space but keep things smaller. Megan hates them for what ever reason. My only gripe with bathroom sinks is to get the faucet tall enough and far enough away from the back of the sink. I always feel like my hands are up against the back of the sink and hitting the bottom while washing.

Are router lifts worth it? I'm just using a collar that came with my router and i like it and it works I just wonder if I'm missing out. I tend to remove the router from the lift often so the one thing that's held me back is how easy it is to remove the router currently. I do all my bit changes with the router removed.

Thanks! Typically these sit a little higher than normal so I am probably going to be at about 38" to the top of the sink. I just went with what the boss choose but since this is just a half bath should be fine. I am a little concerned as well about splash up and how far back the faucet will be more to come on that. The chosen faucet will be high enough but again splashing may be an issue.

Simple answer to me is absolutely. This router has never been out of the lift in 15 years nor has the lift been out of the table. Now full disclosure I have a bit of a router problem so I have many other routers for none table tasks. My bit changes are all down from the top without removing the lift or the router. Bottom line for me would be if you have a dedicated router table router its the only way to go if not it would be a PITA to take out and reinstall.

• Like 1

I bought that same router lift used but the gauge doesn't work. I haven't looked into fixing it but might get around to it one day.

I hope you don't have young kids with that vanity. One of our kid's decided to use that bottom shelf as a ladder to help them wash their hands and broke the shelf causing the legs to bow out. Your vanity looks much better put together and uses real wood so you should be okay.

19 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I bought that same router lift used but the gauge doesn't work. I haven't looked into fixing it but might get around to it one day.

I hope you don't have young kids with that vanity. One of our kid's decided to use that bottom shelf as a ladder to help them wash their hands and broke the shelf causing the legs to bow out. Your vanity looks much better put together and uses real wood so you should be okay.

Not yet still hoping for grand kids at some point :)

I suspect I will be able to stand on the shelf when complete so no worries there.

33 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I suspect I will be able to stand on the shelf when complete so no worries there.

Reattached a shelf I made with pocket screws was precarious. The bathroom is so small I was laying in the hallway with my legs hanging through the banister. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I know it sound cliche, but they really are the best. On any given weekend, we'll have at least one of them over for sleepovers. That started when they were tiny & still continues. The oldest is almost 18 now.

Our favorite media room activity, besides watching movies, is taking turns picking music videos to watch. Everyone is exposed to music that they wouldn't normally choose. It keeps the playlists fresh & we have great discussions about what we watch & listen to.

Sorry (not sorry) for the digression :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

I know it sound cliche, but they really are the best. On any given weekend, we'll have at least one of them over for sleepovers. That started when they were tiny & still continues. The oldest is almost 18 now.

Our favorite media room activity, besides watching movies, is taking turns picking music videos to watch. Everyone is exposed to music that they wouldn't normally choose. It keeps the playlists fresh & we have great discussions about what we watch & listen to.

Sorry (not sorry) for the digression :) 

I am so looking forward to it but might be a bit yet. My oldest and her husband have decided not to have kids, my son is not currently in a relationship, so its up to my youngest who assures me we shall see at least one grand child but she just got married two weeks ago LOL

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

My oldest and her husband have decided not to have kids,

I have no judgement on people that choose this. In my mind I can't help but think what life would be like when your 65 sitting at home bored while all your friends are off running around with their grand kids.... Is that an awful reason to have kids ... probably.

38 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I have no judgement on people that choose this. In my mind I can't help but think what life would be like when your 65 sitting at home bored while all your friends are off running around with their grand kids.... Is that an awful reason to have kids ... probably.

You and me both! Having said that they have to do what's right for them I suppose :)

Funny thing is her husband comes from a family with 11 kids, if you include his parents brothers and sisters and their spouses and kids its over a 100 real quick. 

I still hope they change their minds as they are only early 30s but we shall see

32 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

In my mind I can't help but think what life would be like when your 65 sitting at home bored while all your friends are off running around with their grand kids..

Well if you're sitting home bored when you are 65 then you are doing it wrong! my daughter asked me after i had been retired about 6 years if i ever get bored and my answer was that i've never been bored a day in my life! i have so many things i enjoy hunting, fishing, woodworking and the list goes on forever i don't have time to get bored, i have 5 grandkids and they are an absolute joy but so are my children all grown and doing well, my grandson has been hunting with me for a couple of years now at the same farm that my father took me and i took my son, he smiles for a week after, kids-no kids whatever get out there and enjoy life, if you haven't heard its a one way ride make the most of it!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I can't help but think what life would be like when your 65 sitting at home bored

I have grand kids (4) but even without them around I have days of doing things in the shop or around the house that make me wonder how I even had time for a 40 hour job.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

I gather that you like those clamps.   Me to.

I do I am slowly replacing my bar clamps with these as I see them on sale.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Pretty nice so far Paul.  Are you fuming this or ebonizing or is it going to be rattle can pink.^_^

Thanks! Ebony stain like the bar cabinets

• Like 1