Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I have a question for any experienced tile folks. My original plan was just to thin set right over the bar top brackets now I'm thinking maybe adding another 1/4" layer of either cement board or drywall might be a better route. What do you guys think? Its just the approx 6" between the bar top and the sink counter.

I love tile work and have done quite a bit, though not professionally.

It can get tricky working with built up thinset like that, trying to keep things flat. I'd add a layer of something just thick enough and then use mastic, since it's just a backsplash. The build up layer doesn't need to be cement board because this isn't really a wet surface.

BTW, if you need a tile saw, Dewalt makes an excellent one that I highly recommend. Beats the hassle of having to rent. And I know you're a man who loves new tools.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I have a question for any experienced tile folks. My original plan was just to thin set right over the bar top brackets now I'm thinking maybe adding another 1/4" layer of either cement board or drywall might be a better route. What do you guys think? Its just the approx 6" between the bar top and the sink counter.

IMG_6490.JPG.709da54bb1aead33bca87a2a3f88532f.JPG

My guess is that paint is not an option? 

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

I love tile work and have done quite a bit, though not professionally.

It can get tricky working with built up thinset like that, trying to keep things flat. I'd add a layer of something just thick enough and then use mastic, since it's just a backsplash. The build up layer doesn't need to be cement board because this isn't really a wet surface.

BTW, if you need a tile saw, Dewalt makes an excellent one that I highly recommend. Beats the hassle of having to rent. And I know you're a man who loves new tools.

That sounds like a really good plan, thanks!!

20 minutes ago, Coop said:

My guess is that paint is not an option? 

Nope the boss already picked and purchased the tile :) 

1 hour ago, Coop said:

So I’m guessing that the brackets are not proud of the surrounding area? Will the tile mean that you will put an extension on the 2x4 receptacle box? Tile sounds perfect! 

Correct they are flush with the drywall. The outlet box is a remodel box so I can pull it out no issue there. Lol yep :)

• Like 1

Looks great.   Sorry I missed the tile question.  I've done many cuts with that type of blade in a 4-1/2" side grinder.  I keep a couple of the cheap ones for cutting masonry, and use a water hose.  The bushings fail before the water running on the blade has ever damaged one of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

It took a pro ten hours,  besides the headache what would you have put yourself through if you had tried it yourself.

I just bought a new TV and have been fiddling with the color off and on for a few days.  I stumbled across a Youtube video of a guy setting the color on the same make and but larger screen.  I copied down his numbers and set mine the same way and I am happier then pigs in mud.

I know right glad it went down the way it did now I can make a vanity, finish the doors and drawers, and finally get back to furniture making :) 

10 hours ago, drzaius said:

It seems like I don't value my own time very much because I did all my own calibration. Probably spent at least 50 hours on it. It's something that really should be done though.

Nah you just had the desire to learn how to do it on your own. I think it is a great skill to have I just couldn't bring myself to do it now with all the other things I have going. I still plan to did into it someday and now I have a base line of what it can sound / look like.

I agree about having it done. I still can't believe the picture improvement the sound I expected but the picture was a huge surprise. I did some more playing with it yesterday and the other thing I noticed is that before the front row was really good and the back row was good now pretty much every seat in the house is really good.

14 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nah you just had the desire to learn how to do it on your own. I think it is a great skill to have I just couldn't bring myself to do it now with all the other things I have going. I still plan to did into it someday and now I have a base line of what it can sound / look like.

I agree about having it done. I still can't believe the picture improvement the sound I expected but the picture was a huge surprise. I did some more playing with it yesterday and the other thing I noticed is that before the front row was really good and the back row was good now pretty much every seat in the house is really good.

I did very little with the display, because it's not a projection, but an LED TV. It was just about dead on right out of the box when in cinema mode. The sound system was the big time suck, mainly for the calibration & integration of multiple subs. It was fun & interesting to learn how to do it, but by the time I need to do it again, I'll have forgotten it all :angry: Such is the case with an aging & slowly rotting brain.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Coop said:

Although I continue to follow this and it’s looking great, my attention has shifted to your router table with the Wixey. Care to elaborate? That looks like a neat deal. 

Its a Jointech router lift pro and it has the  Wixey like gauge built in and it works well unfortunately I don't think they are made anymore.