Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

• 3 weeks later...

:( I tried to warn you to stay away from the tigerply but noo don't listen. :P I should just drop off the sheet and a half of real oak ply i have that I'm never going to use again....

The $55 /sheet made by timber products is what you should have gotten it has 5 thick douglas fir core plys and is USA made. The shelter forrest plywood is made in china and is NOT oak, don't know why the call it oak. Timber products is the same company that Youngbloods stocked, they just stocked the higher grade stuff. I think most of what they had was A1 and the hybrid core. They get stocked inproperly a lot so you have to look at the edge or look for the tiger on the UPC. if you see a tiger pretend your in the junle and RUN THE OTHER WAY!!! :D

Good: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/hardwood-panels/3-4-x-4-x-8-b2-red-oak-wood-veneer-core-plywood/34x4x8b2redoak/p-1444445023945-c-13334.htm

Bad: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/hardwood-panels/3-4-x-4-x-8-classic-red-oak-wood-veneer-core-plywood/1251795/p-1547710304075-c-13334.htm

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

:( I tried to warn you to stay away from the tigerply but noo don't listen. :P I should just drop off the sheet and a half of real oak ply i have that I'm never going to use again....

The $55 /sheet made by timber products is what you should have gotten it has 5 thick douglas fir core plys and is USA made. The shelter forrest plywood is made in china and is NOT oak, don't know why the call it oak. Timber products is the same company that Youngbloods stocked, they just stocked the higher grade stuff. I think most of what they had was A1 and the hybrid core. They get stocked inproperly a lot so you have to look at the edge or look for the tiger on the UPC. if you see a tiger pretend your in the junle and RUN THE OTHER WAY!!! :D

Good: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/hardwood-panels/3-4-x-4-x-8-b2-red-oak-wood-veneer-core-plywood/34x4x8b2redoak/p-1444445023945-c-13334.htm

Bad: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/hardwood-panels/3-4-x-4-x-8-classic-red-oak-wood-veneer-core-plywood/1251795/p-1547710304075-c-13334.htm

You did indeed! It really stinks that we lost Youndbloods

Hey guys working on some project plans today. I am planning on making some disc storage shelves between two stud bays in the hallway.

In this pic it would be two of the stud bays  on teh right wall

P438.JPG.9db63b65b50c0e93ecb71a8e709982b6.JPG

Looking at some photo's I noticed one of the bays has a short 2x4 installed that would need to be removed you can see it here

P69.JPG.9fab29668965cb8fb2d56bc76e55afa2.JPG

It appears this is nailed into the studs and the stair well landing I'm thinking just adding a couple of 3" screws through the landing into the studs from the back side. Do you guys think I should add a 2x4 support on the back side from the floor up to the landing as well or am I over thing it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the little table and pool cue holder complete I started working on the digital movie poster for the hallway. Ultimately its a tv that will be used for show times and to show whats playing or you can just have it cycle through the movie posters I have on the hard drive about 4000 of them :)

First up was to make the frame. I used baltic birch ply and a dado stack on the corners and the back edge for the rear panel. Then I cut a hole for the electrical outlet and the 1 1/2" conduit that runs to the equipment rack where the HD will be. Next up was to make a quick frame to attach the TV too. This will be screwed into the back panel

IMG_6135.JPG.69532ef570187d01e1ef3f614b937bf2.JPG

IMG_6142.JPG.b6131facb027bbc6f5e8cc208d128e9a.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG.f6718093dc01513c22c287de880e04bd.JPGIMG_6144.JPG.9c39fb56c0b4af8a172599e1cbed9079.JPG

Tomorrow I need to install the fan and route out an air passage at the top and bottom corners. Once done this part can be glued up and installed. Then I will make a face frame that will be friction fit into this box, dye it ebony and this quick little project will be complete. Next up will be the dart board cabinet and eventually back to the bar cabinets. I got tired of coming down the stairs to watch a movie and seeing the two holes in the wall :) 

Btw for those that recommended the Dubuque Clamps thanks! They work great and are way easier to lift off the wall over my glue up table :) ...I may have to get some more and replace some of the heavier bar clamps.

• Like 2

That's awesome. Are you running these from a PC in your home theater or do you have a dedicated computer for it? I keep getting ads for a digital picture frame that's about $400 for a 16x24 screen and I can't help but think it would be easier and cheaper to do something like what you're doing.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

That's awesome. Are you running these from a PC in your home theater or do you have a dedicated computer for it? I keep getting ads for a digital picture frame that's about $400 for a 16x24 screen and I can't help but think it would be easier and cheaper to do something like what you're doing.

Thanks! Its a dedicated Rasberry Pi3 running MovieNow on a 40" TV I am into it for under $300 and about 6 hours of work.

9 hours ago, pkinneb said:

On another note this is the first time I have used this band clamp and it is awesome!! I bought it on a black Friday sale I think but hadn't had a chance to use it before. Having the solid band vs the cloth strap makes it so much more user friendly. It actually keeps it solid instead of falling all over.

I never expected the clamp to work so well. I bought one as part of a set of something and they really are good. I always thought it was kinda fiddly but it's good to know the cloth strap ones are worse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...