Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

2 hours ago, Chet said:

GoFundMe ???

I think your joking ... but haven't people done that?

We're trying to be reasonable with our budge and should be able to afford it easily between Megan and I. She did recently get a big fat raise.... so that helps :D. Takes the pressure off my tool purchases at least!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Chet said:

That is looking nice, real nice.  I remember you saying something earlier in the journal about the door, that thing looks like it is about 3 inches thick.  Is it solid wood?

3 3/4. Its a 1 3/4" slab with two sheets of 1/2" MDF glued to it. Once you add the 2" panels it will be nearly 6" thick :o

The ball bearing hinges make for a smooth operation though.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yep this is mind blowing.... It looks so dang professional, I'm not surprised but just wow top notch.

I find myself partial to a 14y Glenfeddich.

Thanks Drew! You'll have to bring your own I'm a wuss when it comes to alcohol Mic Ultra or a glass of wine LOL. Having said that when complete you are one of they few close enough to by able to check it out in person :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks Dave! We have been enjoying movies in there for several weeks now :D

Not going to lie the picture and comfort of the room is awesome but the sound is down right incredible especially when you consider the price point. One of my last projects as a theater manager was to implement THX systems into the theaters I ran, the average cost was about $400K per theater (just for the equipment) I have less then $10K in equipment and the sound is better, it just blows my mind. We were watching the 4K version of Cliffhanger last weekend and my wife was like holy crap I feel like I can feel the wind of the sub woofers LOL. Really happy with it and definitely feel the hard work has paid off 

I love that room! For myself though, we have more of a multi-purpose room for the serious TV watching, with exercise equipment, piano, games etc. But I do have some serious AV in there. My wife was away for a few days getting herself a shiny new knew, so I was able to have my way with the volume control :rolleyes: and enjoyed several hours of music & movies at unseemly levels of sound. 

One of the neighbors was over last night for a visit & said that sitting in her living room, she could feel her sternum vibrating. I do have limited sound proofing, but not like you, Paul, so I turn the sound way down after 9:00.

What kind of professional design help did you get for the project?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, drzaius said:

What kind of professional design help did you get for the project?

I really didn't get a "professional" design per se but I did spend about 20 hours face timing during the build with a consultant who has built dozens of theaters based designs from the Erskine Group and Shawn Byrne. He was worth every cent.

Several years ago before my dad passed, I walked in and found him cupping his ears to hear an already deafing tv. Not too long ago, I found the technique very rewording. Perhaps a visit to an audiologists would be better for an old man than an elaborate system such as yours! Beautiful job Paul! 

• Like 2

Woot, Woot!  That room is really something.  I bet it feels good to call it done.  Do you see the rest of the remodel moving at a quicker pace with less technology involved?

35 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

taxes stacking up on my desk

I meet with my accountant tomorrow, I hope it doesn't hurt to bad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

after that it was onto the final OC703 and FSK tape installation

P725.JPG.54de73e0502c94eb639cf0ea55c11e52.JPG

Sorry if I missed this before, or if it’s a wormhole of info, but is there a method behind the placement of that tape? A short answer is fine, just curious.

It looks fantastic and I’m sure it’s even better in person!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Sorry if I missed this before, or if it’s a wormhole of info, but is there a method behind the placement of that tape? A short answer is fine, just curious.

It looks fantastic and I’m sure it’s even better in person!

They are the first reflection points helps to get clear sounds (voices) as I understand it. 

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Woot, Woot!  That room is really something.  I bet it feels good to call it done.  Do you see the rest of the remodel moving at a quicker pace with less technology involved?

I meet with my accountant tomorrow, I hope it doesn't hurt to bad.

Thanks Chet! Yes for two reasons one I won't be running back and forth to the shop so much and two I will be back in my lane :)

Hopefully better than mine...it was ugly this year LOL