Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

49 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

Because the thing you plug into it may not be six feet off the ground.

Thanks Gary!! I have been scratching my head over that for days. We are using them for Neon signs so it never crossed my mind that you could plug something in and set it by the sink "facepalm"

3 hours ago, Chet said:

In the county I live in, since around 1992, any new or remodel construction requires any circuit in room that has water has to have GFCI.

:o

1 hour ago, Tpt life said:

I think here it’s “GFCI protected.” That means daisy chained through a GFCI outlet. 

Here it is any outlet within 6'

On 9/16/2019 at 8:40 PM, pkinneb said:

Here it is any outlet within 6'

You're lucky! Where I am, the breakers need to be GFI in all "livable" areas. Basically, where people will be living which is to say it's vague. And all outlets where kids might be need to be tamper resistant. Also vague. :)

So that tripled the price of components for our basement we just finished. :) yay codes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chet said:

I beat it felt good to spend some time in the shop, even if it was particle board.

It was awesome! Football season and the wood shop, doesn't get any better than that! Yeah paining these so went with MDF really wishing I had the 1010 Festool router. I love my little Dewalt but the dust collection stinks on it especially compared to my OF1400 & OF2200. While I still think the Festool routers are way overpriced they are incredible tools. So the next time I see a 1010 on the refurb site its mine :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Smoke alarms are not meant to be painted, hopefully you took precautions. On a lighter note, I didn’t know they still made black lights! Heck, I could enjoy just watching your ceiling, as long as there was enough ventilation:ph34r:

3 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Just curious, what's the first movie going to be on opening night?

Gotta be Apollo 13! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Smoke alarms are not meant to be painted, hopefully you took precautions. 

What’s the reasoning for that? Obviously you don’t want to glob on a bunch of paint or spray it while assembled, so that you don’t clog up the vents or get paint on the sensors, but is there some other concern?

4 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Just curious, what's the first movie going to be on opening night?

Still working on that but i will need to do testing and dialing in of the speakers  so I will need some with lots of action if possible so far on that list are Gravity, Godzilla king of the monsters, Ready Player One  (car race scene and bomb scene), MI Fallout, and for nostalgia's sake Topgun.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Smoke alarms are not meant to be painted, hopefully you took precautions. On a lighter note, I didn’t know they still made black lights! Heck, I could enjoy just watching your ceiling, as long as there was enough ventilation:ph34r:

Gotta be Apollo 13! 

RE the smoke alarm I knew that going in and code wise it is not a requirement but since I wanted one in the room but not a big white blob on my ceiling I took it apart and left all the insides in the house and only painted the plastic case before reassembly. It was sprayed for what its worth.

Apollo 13 has been added to the sound test list! 

• Like 1

I enjoyed it!  I think they did a reasonably good job adapting the book, which I also enjoyed.  

Apollo 13 is probably my all time favorite.  I think I've seen it at least 13 times.  The launch scene for the Saturn V is awesome.  

But if you want to test sound don't forget Star Wars IV.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I actually haven't seen it yet but someone suggested it fro dialing in the speakers :) 

I've always thought dialing in speakers to the sound of a rocket releasing the energy equal to 85 Hoover dams in a matter of seconds is the best way!

• Haha 1

I think you's find it interesting to listen to music on the new system. A lot of music that was recorded in the last few years has low frequency bass (and even infrasonic) in it that you simply do not hear on even hear on a 'conventional' sound system, even a good one. 

There's a song by one of my favorite Canadian bands (Mother Mother) that has a really low series of notes in the bridge that you can't even hear, but at good volume, can very much be felt. I sends a wave of vibrations up through me calves to my back, upper arms & finally, the very top of my head. First time I listened to that I laughed out loud.

Another fun thing. Play something bass heavy at loud volume & anything sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor above will bounce around like crazy. One night I was down there listening & my wife texted me to 'come upstairs right away & leave the music on, you gotta see this' Pretty crazy.

• Like 1