Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

In reality, you guys know how lucky you really are. Sure, you have to make a HD shopping list and plan your trip but today,  I drove 45 minutes west and never got to the other side of the city. To us, remote is something that operates the tv. 

I live a lot closer to the city and i feel like that a lot of days. Traffic to me growing up was getting stuck behind a farmer in his tractor on main street. I wish i could go back to that. I miss being able to drive 5 min in any direction and be the only person for a mile.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Paul you are putting a lot of effort in to making this a great home theater.  Lots of special techniques and tricks.  Is there something specific that you will be treating the floor with so that it is sticky and did the theater seats come with gum on the bottom or do you have to install that yourself. :D

:o no sticky floors & no gum!!! FWIW I managed movie theaters in high school and through my mid twenties and let me assure you would be shocked at what people will do on those sticky floors much less what they leave behind :P

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, drzaius said:

You ought to get yourself some of that new fangled Vantablack  B)

LOL OMG I can not believe all the discussions on what is the best black on the AVS forum. I decided that I am tired of researching and that paint color would not be an area I would be spending to much time. This one gets good reviews for color but also for not chalking up when touched, since my back row is reachable I wanted something that could be wiped off. 

• Haha 1

I don't think I'd make it very long on an AVS forum. They seem like they'd just be too much fun to troll. Everyone knows the best black is the soot expelled from a diesel engines exhaust. It can only be captured with pure white fine silk and has to be applied to the surface within 36.8 min of capture. :P They might be more fun to troll than the metric nuts on YouTube.

39 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

LOL OMG I can not believe all the discussions on what is the best black on the AVS forum. I decided that I am tired of researching and that paint color would not be an area I would be spending to much time. This one gets good reviews for color but also for not chalking up when touched, since my back row is reachable I wanted something that could be wiped off. 

They actually painted a BMW with the stuff. Looking at it feels like your eyes are being sucked out of they're sockets. It might as well be Unobtainium though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drzaius said:

They actually painted a BMW with the stuff. Looking at it feels like your eyes are being sucked out of they're sockets. It might as well be Unobtainium though.

That would be cool to see. Doesn't it defeat all the work they put into the design of the cars with shadow lines and what not? It'd look neat but awfully flat and 1 dimensional.

43 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That would be cool to see. Doesn't it defeat all the work they put into the design of the cars with shadow lines and what not? It'd look neat but awfully flat and 1 dimensional.

I'd love to see it in the flesh. This was strictly a one-off, an experiment. It's getting Vantablack & BMW lots of attention, for sure. But ya, you can't see a single design element of the car, other than in silhouette.

15 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Not to get too off topic, but here it is. Looks strange.

Wait wait wait we can't get off topic in the off topic section :D:P.

That is a cool coating the scientific and  space applications of it look awesome. Light scatter in optical instruments can cause some serious trouble.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

I'd love to see it in the flesh. This was strictly a one-off, an experiment. It's getting Vantablack & BMW lots of attention, for sure. But ya, you can't see a single design element of the car, other than in silhouette.

The marketing photos don't really do the thing justice it just makes it look photo shopped. Should have done the pictures outside or something with a background so the reflections in the windows at least looked real.

Imagine trying to find the door handle?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Llama said:

I think it's beautiful :)

I have an X3 so I may also be biased. M4 is probably my next car.

His words not mine, i got no shoe in the game.

In all honesty every vehicle i love I'm told by many people they are ugly. I love the looks of the Merc G-Wagon, the new Jeep Gladiator, and the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

• Like 1