Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Absolutely we can watch a guild build on 135" screen in Dolby THX with surround sound :P

Will this make the build easier to do ourselves after watching it under such great conditions???

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Last update for a couple weeks heading to the Black Hills and Denver in the Miata for the next 10 days

Driving Needles highway? I'm jealous the Black hills are beautiful, It's been a long time since I've been there. I guess that Denver place is ok, But I-70 to the west is an awesome drive.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Driving Needles highway? I'm jealous the Black hills are beautiful, It's been a long time since I've been there. I guess that Denver place is ok, But I-70 to the west is an awesome drive.

For sure! Yeah we really like it out there. It's been about 5 years since I was out there need to check in on Crazy Horse progress. I didn't mind Denver when I lived there in the early 90's but now its just to crowded for my liking, of course this is coming form I guy who lives in the country where a stop light is to big city for me. Having said that we have some friends who are getting up there that we haven't seen in several years so wanted to get out there.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

For sure! Yeah we really like it out there. It's been about 5 years since I was out there need to check in on Crazy Horse progress. I didn't mind Denver when I lived there in the early 90's but now its just to crowded for my liking, of course this is coming form I guy who lives in the country where a stop light is to big city for me. Having said that we have some friends who are getting up there that we haven't seen in several years so wanted to get out there.

I just drove through nowthen for some project progress and that area and up toward you really is beautiful. I hear ya on the city part. I don't mind my balance of city living and country feel. Is trade it for a 5 acre lot on a lake in a heart beat but I'm no millionaire.... Shucks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Given the weight & thickness of that door, what is your strategy for the hinges & door jamb?

Great question :) 

To start the hinge side of the wall has a 3 wide 2x4 jamb all screwed together and to the top and bottom plate, then I will use 4 HD wide throw ball bearing hinges. The door jamb itself will be made of 5/4 poplar but the weight will be carried by the hinges which will be screwed into the 2x4 jamb in the wall. Hopping this will be enough based on my research it should be but we shall see. I will be using a HD auto door closer so there will not be a regular door knob with latch etc.

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Me too.  Worth the $$$.  I like the way we help each other spend money on tools.:)

I'm hear for you Chet :)

Speaking of new tools anybody have experience with the Festool LR 32 shelf pin set? I am thinking of picking it up for the bar/bath cabinets. Probably over kill but I really haven't bought much in the way of new tools for this project :) 

Hey, @pkinneb, thanks for the answer on the door. My TV room (I call it that cause it's not a full blown dedicated theater) was built before I had any idea of the extent to which I was going to fit it with A/V. At first it was primarily for movie watching, but with the latest audio upgrades, I find myself using it more for listening to music. Trouble is, my wife doesn't appreciate the volume levels that I do, so I think I'm going to have to do some renovations. Right now, the door (just a hollow core door) is by far the biggest sound leak. The walls & ceiling are isolated & insulated, so I think it'll be just added layers of drywall.

• Like 1

Door hanging strategy sounds good.  Just make sure that the hinge side jamb fits the floor as good as possible, so it won't have anywhere to go down from bearing weight.

If you search on Sawmillcreek, I have a long treatise on my door hanging method there somewhere.  I never used a prehung door on any of the houses I built, and had it down to a science by the time I quit building new houses.  Like everything else I did, there will be something there different than others do, and for a reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Hey, @pkinneb, thanks for the answer on the door. My TV room (I call it that cause it's not a full blown dedicated theater) was built before I had any idea of the extent to which I was going to fit it with A/V. At first it was primarily for movie watching, but with the latest audio upgrades, I find myself using it more for listening to music. Trouble is, my wife doesn't appreciate the volume levels that I do, so I think I'm going to have to do some renovations. Right now, the door (just a hollow core door) is by far the biggest sound leak. The walls & ceiling are isolated & insulated, so I think it'll be just added layers of drywall.

Np glad it was helpful.

1 hour ago, Gary Beasley said:

Wonder how easy it would be to take the hollow core door apart and fill it with  Rocksul sound deadening insulation?

The problem is Rocksul like all the other insulation will only help high frequencies not the base frequencies, for that you need mass absorption which is where the solid core door slab and extra MDF with green glue come in.

42 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Door hanging strategy sounds good.  Just make sure that the hinge side jamb fits the floor as good as possible, so it won't have anywhere to go down from bearing weight.

If you search on Sawmillcreek, I have a long treatise on my door hanging method there somewhere.  I never used a prehung door on any of the houses I built, and had it down to a science by the time I quit building new houses.  Like everything else I did, there will be something there different than others do, and for a reason.

Thanks Tom I will definitely head over there to find it. I can use all the help I can get since I have never done one before :) 

P.s I may have more questions to bounce off you.

17 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Well after a great vacation and getting caught up on work stuff I finally got back to the basement. First up was to finish the front soffit I really like the way these turned out and I have decided the Flex C Trac was worth every penny 

Just another hour or two on the rear and the soffits will be complete. 

Home Depot finally got my 1 3/4" door slab in so I picked that up along with a couple of sheets of MDF. While outside I cut the MDF to 1" over size both length and width. I really like the TSO square on the Festool tracks, it works awesome. Like a lot of things its probably overpriced but it works well so to me its worth it since I cut all my sheet goods outside with my track saw. Have I mentioned its like 90 and 65% humidity here lately I about died LOL

Next I need to fill the raised panels in on one side then glue the MDF to the door with wood glue on the perimeter and green glue (soundproofing compound) in the middle between each layer. Then I need to find a wood supplier to get some poplar to start on the door frame as well as the bar and bath cabinets. Prbaly going to try Forest supply in Woodbury

I'm not sure distance drive for you but Renberg in st. cloud seemed like a good option as well.

Basement is looking good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

Ive heard of sand being used in doors and walls to quench sound as far as using pure mass. No idea how that would work out for a door. I can imagine slamming the door a bit too hard and bursting the sides making a heck of a mess.

Correct and I will be using sand in the entire stage and in the riser where my sub-woofer will be placed. 

Finally got to spend a full day in the shop Saturday and really enjoyed it. I needed to make some HAVC boxes pretty straight forward and made out of MDF but I was thrilled to be back in the shop. By dumping or pulling air through these large openings with the reducer collars you greatly suppress the HVAC air noise coming into the theater.

P180.JPG.9b9946cc1c0d4a415a973a64f213972f.JPG

P181.JPG.40e4b59c9437ebd6b989c8e503aae615.JPG

P182.JPG.e0fadbc24b8cc0ae01d4ef4fbd1dbf05.JPG

P183.JPG.e39151b3b0b59c47db404da5b30b9b49.JPG

P184.JPG.1fc6decba01fc6c12559ed8407e8ffd8.JPG

P185.JPG.067bfdda74e2b61e1b2e8e787635d19b.JPG

Well that went great until the next morning when I noticed the openings were right where my rear speaker columns would be ...facepalm!! Well after pondering the situation I determined I could move the right box to the left side with no alterations, I will need to fix the ceiling a bit but not a huge deal. 

P187.JPG.f2d099f2bc03cebdad3ad885d83be061.JPG

The left to right was not as easy but nothing to difficult either. First I patched the top hole. I will use acoustical sealant to seal all the seems and in this box the patch as well.

P191.JPG.fdf9f9f2a17a7c55fe900c45c091167c.JPG

Got to use the right angle attachment for the first time worked well

P192.JPG.cc80b42dd37b7a70c73a6f696712c220.JPG

P193.JPG.12ebf88f3fcd4ecc7f8017d1f41e2713.JPG

Then had to cut a notch in the box

P188.JPG.8d28c3b94b457a44a4bfbf2afb00aeef.JPG

P189.JPG.7c5b5735ae47ec5ae1938c57494ba794.JPG

problem solved.

P195.JPG.bba4c1ca23f429c73806232f6ffe1434.JPG

Then I moved on to the rear riser

P196.JPG.719090a4f438f5777a0b72e81d112ba7.JPG

P197.JPG.25e3451444a43951cdf438f392387f48.JPG

...and that's where it sits. Hopping to finish the riser framing and the HVAC this week.

• Like 2

Just a question of curiosity,  I know its a nice way to go but you seem to be putting a lot of effort into the sound proofing of the theater.  Does it make the theater itself better?  I have assumed you were on a piece of property so I wouldn't think it would be a problem for your neighbors.

Chet yes we are on a five acre wooded lot. The soundproofing is for two reasons first the theater is below the master bath and master closets so if the kids are home for the holidays they can watch something and I can still sleep. Secondly and more importantly it improves the experience within the theater. When you have a quiet scene it will be perfectly quiet you will also get the punch of the bass without having to turn up the volume to a level that makes other parts of the movie to loud. Once I get it set up and calibrated I’ll let you know if it was worth it :)