Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Pretty amazing when you have some "been there done that" under your belt.  I have done a fair amount of taping and mudding around the house but I would have been weeks just doing all the inside corners you have, even using the corner tools. ;)

Yeah he has some pretty cool tools for sure. I went down this afternoon and he has a machine that puts mud on the corner bead before he sticks it to the wall then another long handed roller thing that squishes it on both sides at once kinda fun to see how he does it but it would have taken me months and it still wouldn't look as nice. In my opinion there is an art to this and I just would never do enough to get good at it. 

The trouble with even developing even passable drywall skill is you end up seeing a lot of bad drywall everywhere. I'm not very good at taping and mudding but I've done enough that looking for houses was painful at times. I saw quite a few where a guy that had no idea what he was doing left behind something that looked like the surface of the moon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Basement is starting to look really good.

Should be a nice day for that today. I"m going golfing, because it's over 60 i got the shorts and t-shirt out.

You gonna rock the 'Rodney Dangerfield golfer' look?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chet said:

I pretty much hate painting.:angry:

Yeah its pretty close to the bottom of my least favorite things to do as well and if the flooring and trim were in I would have paid somebody...having said that I am trying to bring the project in on / under budget and this was a place I could save $1,500 ish so i'm muddling through :)

45 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

I don’t mind painting...it’s the 90-10 where 90 is prep that bugs me. 

That and the clean up LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

I know you had mentioned that you were thinking of putting the same rubber flooring that you have in the shop, in you exercise room but what is the plan for the rest of the areas for floor coverings?

Its just "gray" but I really liking the color of the walls.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom King said:

It always feels like you're getting close, and then you have all the finishing up to do, which seems like it will never end.

Looking great though!

Man ain’t that the truth! Thanks!

11 hours ago, Chet said:

I know you had mentioned that you were thinking of putting the same rubber flooring that you have in the shop, in you exercise room but what is the plan for the rest of the areas for floor coverings?

Its just "gray" but I really liking the color of the walls.

There will be tile by the patio door, in the bath, and behind the bar. Stairs main rec room, and theater will all be carpet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been plugging away the electrical is done, the ceiling is almost done, and I am back working in the theater. Installed my back lit movie poster frames and started on the soffits. 

P152.JPG.f7577ed16ccaf6a3500b28669d9ed673.JPG

Since I moved the chop saw back to the shop I had to use the wheelbarrow to transport the soffit materials

P156.JPG.516200b6ba51c60ba896e5e450c21fd0.JPG

I actually used my table saw for the first time in months to rip down some 2x4's

P161.JPG.f7c6683db100190507eb654ad23fefbc.JPG

The inner soffit is complete except for the front wall. That one is curved so I have some figuring to do before I proceed.

P162.JPG.a56784c9021c0f3c8f74a042bba6eba5.JPG

P163.JPG.ed892c6fad1e9ba7ba53e51e68a6f2ce.JPG

Also fixed something that was bugging the crap out of me every time I walked past. One of the dead vents you could see everything so I taped it off and painted it flat black problem solved. When I start spraying the trim I will spray these grates gray to match the walls.

P148.JPG.ee6a1d5ba827b8db861e8f4a802137f4.JPG

P150.JPG.c56a53e24c753125252554dc32480767.JPG

P151.JPG.d98f9c720e1f2999c1b46c075d450624.JPG

I have received everything for the door except the special order 1 3/4" slab from Jeld Wen, once that arrives I will knock the door out. It will be sound proof and thousands cheaper than a commercially available one but I will still have about $1,200 into the thing :o 

P154.JPG.59d78c32d13b00d9bcc529fdb61fb628.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Dead vents are designed to be oriented to hide. Close to the ceiling draws high room air, so flip the louvered vent. 

That's the return its pulling air out of the room so I didn't want it blowing on to the white ceiling.

54 minutes ago, Tom King said:

All this soundproofing stuff is new to me.  I had never heard the term "dead vent" before, so had to get some help from Google.

https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing_101/the-dead-vent

LOL that's where all my clips, Green Glue, door seals, etc came from. Ted and John are great to work with and very knowledgeable on the subject. One of the reasons this project has taken longer then planed is all the research I have done on things like sound proofing, home automation, dead vents, LED strip lighting, etc.

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Man, and all of this started out as a basement! Absolutely fantastic!

Thanks Coop!

10 hours ago, Chet said:

Step by Step.  Getting closer all the time.  Whats the first thing your going to do when the basement is done? ;)

Either the Morris chair or sculpted rocker. It will depend on the weather I like to do the sculpted stuff outside. I will also doing some bar stools, game table, misc chairs, half circle wall mounted drink tables, etc for the basement but in due time. I really want to immerse my self in a real furniture project so either Morris chair or Maloof rocker will be first :)

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Invite us all over for a party, of course!  :)

Absolutely we can watch a guild build on 135" screen in Dolby THX with surround sound :P

• Haha 1