Basement Project Journal

pkinneb

I would like to think that painting it will be successful.  If it didn't paint well it would become a pretty useless product unless you like beige. :blink:

Did you give any thought to painting it before fastening it to the wall?  Probably to floppy to do that properly.

59 minutes ago, Chet said:

I would like to think that painting it will be successful.  If it didn't paint well it would become a pretty useless product unless you like beige. :blink:

Did you give any thought to painting it before fastening it to the wall?  Probably to floppy to do that properly.

Exactly they advise against it for fear the paint could crack. At this point I'm not too concerned about it. We'll know soon enough :) 

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Looks fantastic!

I'm curious about your choice of laminate for the bath.  We're fixing up an older house to rent on the lake, and we've chosen to replace all the carpet with Luxury Vinyl Plank.  I'm just wondering why you chose laminate, instead of LV tile, or plank.

I'm also curious. I was under the impression that laminate is wood fiber product and can swell and distort with moisture. The LV plank is a good product for a lake place durable and inexpensive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Very professional! Impressive. Not your first rodeo.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

Looks fantastic!

I'm curious about your choice of laminate for the bath.  We're fixing up an older house to rent on the lake, and we've chosen to replace all the carpet with Luxury Vinyl Plank.  I'm just wondering why you chose laminate, instead of LV tile, or plank.

Tom two reasons WAF and ease of installation. We went with Pergo Outlast which carries a limited lifetime residential warranty if installed correctly. The claim is its water proof we shall see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'm also curious. I was under the impression that laminate is wood fiber product and can swell and distort with moisture. The LV plank is a good product for a lake place durable and inexpensive.

We put LV tile into our office... it's nice stuff.   We used a Coretec Plus product which seems a bit better than what they sell at the box stores.   It clicked together just like a laminate, but the whole underside is plastic.

I had Pergo laminate in a townhouse years back, and it was fairly durable.   They must have changed the way the seams work to declare it waterproof.

We're using the Coretec Plus in that lake house.  Pergo just came out with LVP (different than their laminate), that is even better quality than the Coretec, but after getting $45 worth of samples delivered, which didn't come real close to the pictures on the internet page, we passed on it, since it didn't look like they had a light, warm color without knots, or rustic looking.  Everything seems to favor grays now, and I don't like patterns, such as knots, and streaks, that repeat.

The Pergo was more expensive, but we would have sprung for the cost, if they'd had one that we liked good enough to go with all the old wood in that house.

Normal price is about 4.60, to 4.75 for the Coretec Plus, but I bought 63 boxes for $4.20.  We have two banks in town that use it, and I've been more than impressed with how well it's held up with all that foot traffic.  It's been down for about a year, and still looks new.  I don't remember what the Pergo was, but it was over 5 bucks-may have been more.

The Coretec Plus has a cork back, but they do claim that it's waterproof.  My test showed that standing water didn't penetrate the seams.  The Pergo LV is solid composite.

I have a shear cutter coming for the Coretec.  I think the Pergo would have to be cut with a saw.  Both snap together just like laminate does.

• Like 1

With the pool table out of the way it was time to spray some interior doors

One done and hung back up, another being sprayed

P446.JPG.ca2e439e39d2dca3e19182208eda5c91.JPG

OK I have to admit there was something satisfying about this but what a mess LOL

P447.JPG.1fe0569b83a4246c557d1e0bb20c70c7.JPG

P448.JPG.36f224e78bc1b636bf5ab73c10aba620.JPG

P449.JPG.d832333cddfa790c3b500001f7599144.JPG

With the doors done I sprayed the remaining trim...at least I hope that's all I need. This trim is for over the laminate floor in the rest room, around the bar, as well as above the rubber floor in the exercise room (glass doors)

P450.JPG.3c4933422cdb34d4067b64f6f2a4e9bd.JPG

Next up laminate floor hopefully I can knock that out Thursday evening before we leave Friday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Sweet setup! Love the carpet, too.

Thanks! its a bit loud but we really like it. With all the grays and blacks it provided some pop when you walk in.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think I'd much rather pay $10 admission to watch movies at your place than a movie theater. I'd even buy overpriced refreshments :P. This is awesome!

Thanks Drew!!

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Will the screen surface be painted onto the wall?   

The screen will be Spandex. I will stretch a layer of white over a layer of black on a 5/4 x 3" poplar frame. I need to get the projector up and running so I can dial in the final screen size and aspect ratio. Most likely it will be 125" - 135" diagonal but need to decide on 16:9 or 2:35:1 aspect ratio. the front row chairs should arrive this week so testing will begin in the next couple of weeks 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Today my wife and I spent a couple hours in the theater deciding on screen size and material so that I can order the screen material and finish the room. We are going with a Constant Image Width screen, that will make the 16:9 (first pic) about 130" diagonal and the 2:35:1 about 126"

P527.JPG.e70eb064d0e36638c29dc827479d29b2.JPG

P528.JPG.36116ea6b90ba89c28c6375353aba6a2.JPG

I am looking forward to watching the this years Superbowl on the big screen :) 

You know that is only a month away don't you.

• Haha 1