It’s a Coffee Table

Chris208

1 hour ago, Chris208 said:

To clarify, this design is based on the Kigumi table Ishitani built in his YouTube video. That guy is dope. 

I agree! That is really cool I've never seen it before and I follow him I'll have to go check out the archive. Anyhow great execution and thanks for the pics I thought it looked different :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coyote Jim said:

Stunning Chris! And yes....very dope.

In the 3rd picture it looks like one of the boards that make up the top is like 15" or more inches wide. Is that a just the camera playing tricks or is the top made from just two super wide boards?

Also, for a split second I thought that cat was a huge hamster.

The top is two 11"  boards.  The wood that I built this from was 12 feet long, 12 inches wide, 6/4 and completely clear.  really beautiful stuff.  I got it from a local hardwood flooring manufacturer for like $2 a board foot.

The giant hamster is a 19 year old cat.  She mostly just hangs out on the couch.

• Like 1

Gorgeous. Love everything about it. Thinking about using something like those tusk tenons on a trestle table I'm building... curious if they pull the stretcher in tight to the inside of the legs at all, or if they just keep the stretcher from pulling out? I've watched that Ishitani video at least 3 times now, but I've not given enough thought to how the forces involved in that thing apply.

3 hours ago, Kurt Triebe said:

Gorgeous. Love everything about it. Thinking about using something like those tusk tenons on a trestle table I'm building... curious if they pull the stretcher in tight to the inside of the legs at all, or if they just keep the stretcher from pulling out? I've watched that Ishitani video at least 3 times now, but I've not given enough thought to how the forces involved in that thing apply.

They don’t tighten things up, but they keep things from getting loose, if that makes sense. 

If you build something with the through tenons, put the glue only on the part of the tenon tenon that lives in the mortise. In my case, this was the inch closest to the shoulder of the tenon  

If you put is on the mortise, cleaning up the tenon will be difficult.  Same if you just slather up the whole tenon  

18 hours ago, Chris208 said:

They don’t tighten things up, but they keep things from getting loose, if that makes sense. 

If you build something with the through tenons, put the glue only on the part of the tenon tenon that lives in the mortise. In my case, this was the inch closest to the shoulder of the tenon  

If you put is on the mortise, cleaning up the tenon will be difficult.  Same if you just slather up the whole tenon  

Gotcha, yeah- that all makes perfect sense- thanks!

On 9/26/2018 at 8:47 PM, Chris208 said:

I’m almost over 40. Dope is a superlative from 90s rap music.  meaning better than good/incredible/dope. 

My kids talk like 90s rappers. 

Quality parenting. 

I'm half way through my 70's and dope to me means the joint, which isn't the same thing I remember it to mean anymore. I find it nearly impossible to have a conversation with almost anyone under 21, we speak different languages.  Well, with any luck, I'll be history, when your kids don't understand the younger generation.