Hand stitched rasps

drzaius

Got it, I see they offer two sets, one that is hand stitched and one that is CNC stitched. Didn't realize that had the hand stitched rasp. I have the CNC stitched, and as you would expect they aren't impressive. No experience with the more expensive hand stitched rasps. 

I saw the Narex ones, but couldn't figure out where to buy one in Canada. I've been toying with the idea of ordering some of the Corradi gold rasps...

https://www.corradishop.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=26

They're CNC stitched, but with a specific pattern that supposedly doesn't leave grooves. All of the reviews I've seen of them are very positive. The only downside is that with getting them in Canada, the shipping is ridiculous unless you order enough of them to make it worth it. I would have tried one by now, but the only way I can justify the price is to order a set of a few (and really, I don't do that much curved work).

I haven't seen them in Canada either. My experience with Narex is that they're not the best available, but they are quite good and a very good value. Auriou seem to be loved by all that use them, but are sure expensive.

Those Corradi look interesting; not hand cut, but a complex pseudo-random pattern. And shipping is crazy expensive, but they are cheap enough that the total cost is still reasonable. But ya, I'd have to wait until I had a project that needed multiple rasps to justify it.

14 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I haven't seen them in Canada either. My experience with Narex is that they're not the best available, but they are quite good and a very good value. Auriou seem to be loved by all that use them, but are sure expensive.

Those Corradi look interesting; not hand cut, but a complex pseudo-random pattern. And shipping is crazy expensive, but they are cheap enough that the total cost is still reasonable. But ya, I'd have to wait until I had a project that needed multiple rasps to justify it.

Auriou has closed  shop from what I hear. And getting any now is going to cost even more.

Expensive but I have both Liogier rasps and Auriou rasps, like the Auriou better but both are quality lifetime tools. Had to wait a year for my Auriou cabinet rasp, glad I waited because I likely may not be able to get another one.

When I got into sculpturing chairs I first bought a set of cheaper Narex (not hand stitched), quickly went with 3 Auriou and added a Liogier later because I wanted a certain shape they offered. These are the ones I use all the time, a pleasure to use.

I get the reluctance with the cost if not a tool you really need.

13 hours ago, drzaius said:

That's something I've wondered about. Just what is the life of one of these rasps if they get used on very hard wood?

I think a long long time. Have used mine for a no less than 12 chairs and at least another 12 projects and they cut as efficiently now as they did when I bought them. I see no drop off in quality or their ability to cleanly shape hardwoods. Now, I've used them on maple, cherry and walnut, so if you are using them on hickory, locust, or say other very hard woods it possibly will decrease in efficiency. Would also love to hear from others that have had quality rasps and if my assumption they are a possible lifetime tool is correct.

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

... Would also love to hear from others that have had quality rasps and if my assumption they are a possible lifetime tool is correct.

My expectations are short of dropping or damaging them in some way that my Auriou rasps will definitely last my lifetime.

So a while back they were trying to raise money to keep the doors open I take it that didn't work? Glad I filled in a few remaining holes I had in my collection when I first heard there could be trouble.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:07 AM, Bmac said:

Got it, I see they offer two sets, one that is hand stitched and one that is CNC stitched. Didn't realize that had the hand stitched rasp. I have the CNC stitched, and as you would expect they aren't impressive. No experience with the more expensive hand stitched rasps. 

I'll disagree, especially on course where I'm going to move to finer, I have no problem grabbing the narex cnc cut hog next to the nicer ones. It cuts clean with only a bit more of a push. since I refuse to go to the gym the shop is about the only exercise I get.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

I'll disagree, especially on course where I'm going to move to finer, I have no problem grabbing the narex cnc cut hog next to the nicer ones. It cuts clean with only a bit more of a push. since I refuse to go to the gym the shop is about the only exercise I get.

Perhaps I should give them another chance, as I refuse to go to the gym also!

WorkshopHeaven here in the UK sell their own line of handstitched rasps. They might be Narex as the website says they are made in Europe.

I’m going to buy a couple to try out. The good thing is WorkshopHeaven ship internationally and CAD and USD are currency options.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/hand-tools/rasps-and-files/workshop-heaven-hand-stitched-rasps.html

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 6:18 AM, TerryMcK said:

As far as I am aware https://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/ as still in business and trading even though they recently asked for extra crowdfunding. So you can still buy Auriou rasps and rifflers.

Correct. They started a crowdfunding campaign and have raised over 40k EUR, hoping for 60k. According to their campaign, 40k is what was needed to keep the doors open and purchase raw materials so they can fulfill orders. The remaining 20k, if raised, would be used to update/replace their equipment, tooling, website, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:40 PM, drzaius said:

That's something I've wondered about. Just what is the life of one of these rasps if they get used on very hard wood?

First, to your question about the Narex handstitched rasps, I got a chance to play with them last month and they are OK, a step up from the average CNC rasp but still a good way from Auriou and Liogier.   I prefer my Liogier to Auriou rasps but they are close except for the Sapphire range which in terms of durability is simply unmatched.

Estimating life is like estimating table saw blade life for someone else.  The standard Liogier and the Auriou rasps would probably last a serious chairmaker most of a year.  The Sapphire hardened ones probably several times as long.  However it isn't really a big deal just ship them off to Boggs Tool and for cheap they will resharpen them to better than new, they are so good I have been tempted to send them new rasps.  

• Like 1