TransTint

Coop

15 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

Thanks, Coop.  I'd love to know where to look for that discussion.  Also (since  you're still up!) thanks for the results.  Since we don't have a "before" pic, can  you tell us did the dye enhance the grain?

I know there's been some discussion on some of my projects for applying the WB over the ARS but, I'll be damned if I can find them now.  This has really become my "go to" finish for darker woods.  I love the way that the ARS really pops the grain and then the WB doesn't alter that color while getting the protection I'm looking for.

Here's a peek at the next project that I'll release a video on next week but, it's exactly how this piece was finished..

inqNET.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

That’s a beautiful piece and I’m sure the videos will be fantastic but, when will you be publishing the floating picture frame? 

Week after this table..  I'll be home by then and will have to get busy creating new content after that!  Got a little trick up my sleeve that I think will work for the next video tho ;)

4 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I know there's been some discussion on some of my projects for applying the WB over the ARS but, I'll be damned if I can find them now.  This has really become my "go to" finish for darker woods.  I love the way that the ARS really pops the grain and then the WB doesn't alter that color while getting the protection I'm looking for.

Here's a peek at the next project that I'll release a video on next week but, it's exactly how this piece was finished..

inqNET.jpg

That’s really nice Kev, looking forward to the video. I’ll definitely try the ARS first process. Always looking to expand my knowledge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Thanks Kev. This is my first try at using dye and it’s pretty amazing as well as intimidating. I give credit to @Brendon_t for me giving it a try. He just didn’t tell me to read the instructions ;)

I'm fairly certain he would have told you about the cool little globular forms that occurs with ARS. .  just saying : )

• Haha 1

I was sleeping while all of this went down but i agree as well with the WB over oil poly. Also from my experience a dewaxed blonde shellac (seal coat) before a coat of wiping poly doens't change the look.

I really need to try the sprayed dye, or even spraying a tinted shellac.

8 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Thanks, Kev.  Follow-up question:  I took Coop's posts to say that he was using a Trans TInt Dye (not pigment) and I don't find, with my web searching skills, that there is a Trans TInt Coffee Brown pigment.  I'm thinking that the dye soaks into the fibers (unlike pigment that might stay on the surface).  

Otherwise, I understand (and still agree) that any finish can be used over the top.

Transtint #6011

When I am using dye as a colorant for "clear" finishes I pre-mix the dye with a compatible carrier for the finish.  I premix with alcohol when adding to shellac, I pre-mix with mineral spirits when adding to oil based finishes.

I do like using the water or alcohol mixed dye directly but, have issues applying a top coat that is not sprayed.  I do not have decent spraying equipment as I just don't do it enough to justify it in my mind yet :rolleyes:.  My workaround is to seal the dyed surface with rattle can shellac on the rare occasions I use this protocol. 

I don't consider this a very elegant solution  and only mention it for folks like me who are not setup to spray.  If I even did this a couple times a year I would be looking at a Fuji :D

23 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Thanks Kev. This is my first try at using dye and it’s pretty amazing as well as intimidating. I give credit to @Brendon_t for me giving it a try. He just didn’t tell me to read the instructions ;)

I'm fairly certain he would have told you about the cool little globular forms that occurs with ARS, because he specifically uses thin cut shellac for trans tinting..  just saying : )

On 10/28/2018 at 11:05 PM, K Cooper said:

I needed to darken a 1/4” piece of ply that will be used as a back panel on a walnut end table. I bought a bottle of Coffe Brown TransTint and mixed some in with some ARS, which became suspended and not mixed. 

To address the TT added to oil based ARS...yes you can ( I think). First, you need to pour a shot (1oz of xylene) then add a few drops of TT. Then add that to the ARS for color. 

******DISCLAIMER...FIRST REACH OUT TO THE FOLKS AT TRANSTINT IF THIS IS STILL THE CASE. YEARS AGO, THAT IS WHAT YOU DID TO GET TT TO WET IN TO AN OIL BASED FINISH LIKE ARS. I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS**********

-Ace-

• Thanks 1

Sounds legit, I hope it's still valid . " Better living through chemistry "  

Spraying shellac is fun. Smells great, dries fast and thin coats of tinted shellac let you creep up on a desired level of color.   Shellac is a great barrier coat. Lets you put waterbourne over oil based & vice versa.